PDA

View Full Version : scared

KGlynn420
03-03-08, 17:33
i have my first appointment with a psychologist for tomorrow. i am scared to go. I am worried they are gonna tell me i am crazy and need to be in a padded cell. What can i expect?

Lilith1980
03-03-08, 18:18
Hey Glynn :hugs:

I am waiting to see a psychologist too.

My GP told me that they would assess what treatment I need - whether it be CBT or something.

They are not going to throw you into a padded cell honey, you are not crazy. They are hear to help and get the best treatment for you :hugs:

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

Jo xxxxx

chalky
03-03-08, 20:29
Hi Glynn,

You are not bound for a padded cell!!
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
The psychologist will be wanting to assess you based on info supplied by your Medical Records and doctor and what you tell him about yourself.
This is a really positive step you are taking!!
Be proud of yourself.
best wishes,
Chalky

heidi
03-03-08, 20:36
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/heidi51/images-1.jpg

I just wanted to send you some good luck for tomorrow and i'm sure it will all go great....they won't put you in a padded cell hun xxx :hugs:

Southern_Belle
03-03-08, 21:23
Hi,

No they won't put you in a padded cell, honest. They will give you a ton of papers to fill out so start flexing your hand so it won't cramp up!!! The first visit is usually like the others have stated an assessment one where they try to find out your history both medical and mental. It is more or less an evaluation so they know where to go forward. They ask what type of doctors you have seen, what meds you have been on etc. They also may ask what type of stress you are under, what type of job you have and what kind of family life you have. They also might ask questions about your life as a child if they have time. The most important questions they might ask is why you are there in the first place so I would have an answer ready for that one.

I have personally been to a psychologist and had some wonderful one to one talks with her. It helped me immensely. The difference between psychologists and psychiatrists (if you did not know) is that the first can't prescribe meds and the second one can. I also think that psychologists are more for working things out verbally although many may disagree with me.

Good luck and I do hope you have a good feeling about your doctor and it helps you.

Hugs,

Laura

KGlynn420
06-03-08, 17:29
well i went and it was alright, she suggested i try taking the zoloft my gp prescribed for me. she said a mix of meds and therapy will help.