PDA

View Full Version : Early Hours of the Morning

Angie
03-03-08, 19:24
Guys Hi,

Just after your thoughts on anxiety and the early hours of the morning.

I can sail through a day relatively anxiety free, I can go to bed and drift of to sleep OK - however come around 2am and I wake up with the start of anxiety building. My question is why does it occur at this time, is it my subconscious processing the day and causing stress to build?

Do others suffer in this way and is there any advice as to how to minimize it?

chalky
03-03-08, 19:50
Hi Angie,

I think you have hit the nail on the head:- your sub-conscious is the culprit.
It is important that you make your bedroom a very relaxed,comfortable environment.If you wake up,do something-make a quick cuppa,read a chapter in a book then try again.
If it is a serious problem,ask your Doctor for a weeks worth of sleeping tablets.This will help your body and mind get back into the habit of sleeping whilst not getting you onto sleeping tablets full-time.
Best wishes,
Chalky

kerry-1972
03-03-08, 19:56
Hi Angie...

I too find myself falling asleep with no problem but like you come 2 am im awake and can feel my Anxiety begining..Once im awake i find it really hard to go back to sleep and toss and turn for ages...I fall back to sleep when its time to get up with the kids and all day im sooo tired but have to work so have to wait till bed time.
I was thinking about trying some sleeping tabs, something like nytol or go to Holland and Barrett and see what the recomend b'cause i cant go on like this much longer...Apparently once your body gets used to waking in the middle of the night its really hard to break the habbit...
Hope you find some way to sleep better and if you do let me know what it is...
Kerry

Have you tried herbal tea?

Angie
03-03-08, 20:11
Guys Thanks, glad I a not alone in this one,I can usually get back of but it takes my relaxation CD and a lot of self coaching to do so. You are both so right about breaking the cycle, I have 2 young children so I worry about sleeping tablets and not hearing them, the herbal remedy sounds interesting - Holland and Barret here I come......

sheba2
03-03-08, 21:50
Hi there.

I don't know how true this is but I've read that people with anxiety and depression often wake in the early hours and have trouble sleeping again. It can be because usually this is a quiet time and because you have little to distract you your brain then overloads you with problems and anxious thoughts. One suggestion I read is to have a notebook beside you and write down any problems you might have with the knowledge that you can do little about them during the night. Have a look at them later the next day when you are feeling better and see what if anything you want or need to do about them. Tick them off if you can. In theory your sub conscious should then let them go too. Hope this helps

Bill
04-03-08, 03:29
As others have said, if we go to bed worrying about events of the day, we'll end up dreaming alot and having a restless sleep until our racing thoughts wake us.

Also medication can cause nightmares and broken sleep.

One other thought. I don't suppose your husband wakes you by snoring or tossing and turning? :whistles: I don't enjoy it but I've never slept better since I moved into my own bed.......well, that is when I eventually get to bed!!!:D