PDA

View Full Version : The Pill

ruth76
03-03-08, 22:10
Hi

Something strange has happened to me recently and that is my anxiety/depression/panic attacks have stopped! I suffered from panic disorder when I was 21 I am now 31 and have had panic attacks on and off over the years.

I went on the pill microgynon 2 years ago and after a few months of taking it everything returned 10 times worse. Acute anxiety,depression i was nearly admitted to hospital. I saw lots of the doctors was put on antidepressants they didnt really help.

Then in jan this year I came off the pill as my husband is the army and was going away for 3 months. After about two weeks i started feeling so much better and now I am anxiety free!! i found a good doctor who listened to me and agreed it was the pill that triggered off my anxiety and he has heard of that happening before.Something to do with upsetting your hormones and that can trigger off all sorts of different things for women.
So I hope I may be able to help other people as you are not warned these side effects may happen.and the companies making the pill will not own up to it.

I am having a non hormone coil fitted as I will never take the pill again.
Please feel free to contact me ladies (sorry guys!)

squirrel
04-03-08, 00:29
My Panic attacks started 35 years ago when I was 18, Strange now because you got me thinking I started the pill then too! it was called Eugynon 30,wonder if that was the cause for me too.

Rennie1989
04-03-08, 10:19
I went on cerezette before I turned 18 and my lecturer blamed them for my panic attacks starting again. It might have done but with the stress I was under at the time I doubt it.

I think before GPs or sexual health nurses prescribe POPs or COCs they should ask the patient whether they have panic attacks or alike because I have heard that the pill can cause unwanted effects on people like us. It doesn't even mention it in the undesired side effects in the leaflet .... hmmmm.

Janieb
04-03-08, 11:16
yep, I came off the pill in Jan 1. because it's going to take me a year to try and concieve anyway and 2. I noticed my anx kicked in after I started the pill last year following the birth of my son.

Only problem is I suffer from PCOS so I am worried about a lot of side effects coming off, tell you what I don't feel half as depressed and worried!! Plus I seem to have a lot more energy as a result. I never want to go back on the pill I think it causes a lot of problems.

maxine
04-03-08, 11:52
I think you may have a point on this one!

I started taking the pill at 17 for really heavy periods and that's my anxiety/panic attacks.agoraphobia really kicked off.
I came off it again after a few years as my periods had settled down and no sexual contact to speak of , didn't help much at the time , however , my anxiety is back with a vengace and thinking about it now I had the contraceptive injection ffor nine months last year which is when my anxiety raised it's ugly head again, I'm still dealing with it now and i can't think of any other reason for me being so anxious again, maybe the injection had something to do with it?

I'm off all hormone , tampering with my fertility drugs now and if my other half wants any he's wearing condoms as i'm never, ever putting any more into my system!

Ps, with the injection i also gained 3 stone in 6 months!!

Deadgirl
04-03-08, 18:51
i went on that pill, then after 3 days i had to come off it because it made me ill, i was told i could have had a stroke if i stayed on it, it could have killed me, i went on a different one after that but it just made me gain weight, so i went back to condoms, i didnt feel any change in my pa/depression though so i was interested to hear about your experience.

Kate408
05-03-08, 12:31
I'm on Microgynon, and no-one has ever mentioned anything like this to me before, but that is VERY interesting to read!!!

It's difficult to identify the route cause when there are so many things going on in your life!!!

I'm coming to the end of one of my packs soon, and was going to get a repeat prescription...but maybe I wont!!! :)

Thanks for the tip! :)

missy_c
05-03-08, 12:50
I asked my psychiatrist about this recently. Although I have been suffering panic attcks from the age of about 9, they have always seemed to be more frequent and worse when I am on any type of hormonal contraceptive. In November I went on the implant (implanon) and my panic attacks have started coming back since only a few days after having it put in. Only when they restarted and I was wondering what was different now to perhaps have triggered them, it dawned on me the possible connection. A firned only stared to get panic attacks during "the change" and they stopped after, and I think there is a strong possibility of a hormonal link. I also read on the BBC news website about testosterone being linked to depression in men...

cassi23
05-03-08, 14:00
After the birth of my daughter i re-started taking femodene, within days i was climbing the walls with anxiety.

My doc told me that the can make palps/ectopics worse too. I stopped taking them end of jan and iv never felt better!

I think you've made a good point here!

Cassi xxxxxxx

Nicomi
05-03-08, 14:26
Hi Girls

I have the Myrana (not sure of spelling) coil - the hormone one fitted 4 years ago and my anxiety has grown since then. However work things have also been tough - my husband and I own our own business. I'm due to have it changed next year but with you saying this I think I may speak to the Nurse about changing this year to the old copper coil.

Thanks for the info

:yesyes: