PDA

View Full Version : Knowing...

Glitter
16-03-05, 17:19
Please help here, because i'm now worrying i'll be no use and no ornament to your site...

Is it not okay to know what triggers a panic attack? Does that make it less intense? Because i discovered that knowing what it was, and what triggered it this week made no difference what-so-ever. Infact it has made me feel i'll NEVER be free. After 6 years with PTSD, including 4years of treatment, i STILL suffered.

Yes, i regained my life... i lost my career of 22 years (teaching), and i'm half way thru retraining... but i CAN'T control it.

Yes, 'at least i know what it is'... dont we ALL??? or we wouldnt be here!
:([V]
Glitter

Meg
16-03-05, 17:23
It helps many people with health anxiety to recognise that it triggered by something as then they can rationalize that the symptoms are not some new illness. Often people panic at not understanding what is happening and are completely terrified that they will die imminently.

Nothing takes away the intenseness of how bad a panic attack feels and how final it feels and how hard it is to get over them, but understanding what is going on inside and why it started can often help you to get through each one without increasing and perpetuating the panic further whilst working on learning first how to stop them being so intense and then how to prevent them occuring.

*Yes, 'at least i know what it is'.. dont we ALL?? or we wouldnt be here!*

Many people come here because they've been told they have anxiety but still are not accepting of it and remain convinced they have a physical illness that is being missed by the clinicians.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

bluebottle
16-03-05, 17:50
Hi Glitter,

Welcome to the site. You asked "Is it not okay to know what triggers a panic attack?" Yes it is, absolutely. You clearly have a good knowledge of your anxiety and this can only be a good thing.

Take care, you will find the members here very nice.

Regards,

Blue
--
"If I never take this leap of faith I'll never know
So I'm learning to fall with no safety net to cushion the blow"

http://spaces.msn.com/members/enigmapark/

clickaway
16-03-05, 18:01
Glitter,

I think you've made a very positive step coming here.

There is bags of advice from people who have suffered just like you, and a number of those are well on the way to recovery.

I know that all this can be very isolating and pretty hellish.

Keep yourself as occupied as much as possible and get talking. There is a chatroom associated with this site - contains both banter and serious chat about our condition.http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Together, we can beat this!

Ray

Glitter
16-03-05, 18:08
Aww thankyou Ray, i appreciate your support.
See you in the chat room sometime eh?

Cheers,
Glitter

linjane
16-03-05, 18:16
Hi Glitter,

Welcome to the site.

I can't add to what Meg said, she said it so well.

I have probably suffered panic/anxiety since I was 10 (only just found this out from my counsellor over last few weeks) and found that lately my symptoms have been worse, but as you have suffered PTSD you will know how this feels. I don't know much about it, but I had a baby at five months, who died and my counsellor has likened this to PTSD although not being the same.

You have done so well getting to where you are now and going back to your training. You will get loads of help/support/advice here, and hopefully you will get past how you are feeling now.

Take care,
Linda