PDA

View Full Version : I am the only one scared of Doctors/Hospitals etc?

nikkixx
04-03-08, 19:02
Hi,

This is the first time I have started a post on here but I was just wondering if I am the only one that is scared of going to the Doctors or Hospital? When I read other threads people are saying that they seek reassurance by going to A & E or GP's but I go the other way and am too scared to go.

Obviously I do go to my GP (but only 1 particular 1 who knows me very well :) lol) but everything to do with hospitals etc terrifies me. Is this a phobia or just part of Health Anxiety?

Thank you for reading

Nikki x

sam gallop
04-03-08, 19:33
No you are not the only one!! I have white coat syndrome so get butterflies before going to the docs even for routine things. During my worst attack of health anxiety I didn't even like putting a puzzle piece back in my son's jigsaw ... it was an ambulance which made the sound effect!!! That is pretty sad I know!! I would avert my eyes when passing the road with the doctors on in case it started my palpitations off!! I haven't even told my husband this!!! I think facing your fears often help though, and as someone from the site wisely said to me today, the illnesses in your head are often far, far worse than the actual problem.. so going to the docs to rule out anything serious, scary tho it is is, is probably the best way to reassure yourself

:shades:

fairyloveheart
04-03-08, 19:36
It's the waiting rooms I hate...the impending doom kind of feeling. I would be much better if I could wait in the car and then they could call me in!

nikkixx
04-03-08, 19:51
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. If I see an ambulance my legs go weak and I have even got to the stage where I don't like taking the dog to the vets!:roflmao: How sad am I?

That is what most of my problems are I think. I worry that if I have a panic attack and something happens I will have to go to hospital or doctors etc.

How do I get over it?

Nikki x

erialc
04-03-08, 20:27
Hi

You are def not the only one.
I have had a thing about hospitals since I can remember.

I have had to go and visit people (my aunt especially as she was in hospital a lot) I was convinced I was gonna get mrsa or something, used to feel sick going but had to and glad I did cos my aunty died last year and if I hadn't forced myself in to see her I would never have forgiven myself.

And as for being a patient.... touch wood I have never had to stay in hospital but I did go in as a day patient a few years ago.
I was sooo freaked by the place - kicked up a real fuss lol.
My mum said if I ever have a baby let her know so she can take a holiday and come back when its all over.

Think lots of people hate hospitals and docs and dentists too (I am sure they are nice people - just fear of them I guess :scared10:)

Claire xxxxxx

sheba2
04-03-08, 22:31
I'm not exactly frightened of doctors, hospitals etc my problem is that I feel that they wont believe me even if I had something like a broken leg and that I am being a nuisance and they wont want to look after me. I can't somehow get it into my head that they are normal human beings I was brought up to think they are almost god like.

jadeybags
04-03-08, 23:27
I know what you mean! These sites are full of people that frequent the doctors as much as they change their underwear! I used to be one of them. Then it suddenly flipped around and now i avoid going like the plague! I dont google symptoms either because i know i will convince myself im that ill! I dont visit the doctor because im scared what he's going to say to be honest. I have definately turned into a 'bury my head in the sand' sort of person, and it sucks!

Rachey poos
05-03-08, 00:20
This fear or phobia is the whole part of my anxiety... I AM TERRIFIED!!!! I never go... last time i had a smear was 16 years ago... even passing my doctors I get palpitations... click on this link to read a part of my blog... this will tell you how scared I am http://rachelhughesdiary.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-am-sooo-ashamed-of-myself.html

I Really wish i could go and get a full MOT but I am sooooo scared of anything medical... and my daughter wants to be a nurse... i said to her the other day... please dont marry a doctor or I ont be able to come to the wedding!!! LOL xxx Its horrid being so irrational and scared over something that is not gonna hurt you.. mine stems from child hood for def!

helenclaire
05-03-08, 09:41
I am with you on this one.
I hate doctors and hospitals, i have to be really desperate before i will go, even making the appointment turns me into a nervous wreck. I have lost count of the amount of appointments i have cancelled, cause i could not face going.
I find the waiting room the worse thing, i feel everyone is looking at me and i get really claustrophobic and just want to run out.
Maybe if i could go straight in and straight out without the hanging about i would feel better but this never happens, i always have to wait ages which gives me more time to worry and get worked up.
All the best
Helen

AtmoLav
05-03-08, 13:13
I'm absolutely terrified of them. In particular, I'm terrified of having my blood pressure taken.

Rachey poos
05-03-08, 21:45
Bllod pressure is my biggest thing to worry about.... hate it..and listening to heart LOL why I wonder x

chalky
05-03-08, 21:54
Hi Nikki,

I have to go to my surgery for regular Blood Pressure checks.I usually start this procedure by reminding the nurses that I have White Coat Syndrome.
The ensuing conversation is a great way of breaking down barriers and results in me becoming more relaxed.
Confront your fears,acknowledge them and face them.You will learn to overcome them.
Believe in yourself.
Best wishes,
Chalky

:hugs::hugs: :hugs:

hypochondriac
19-02-11, 17:41
It's the waiting rooms I hate...the impending doom kind of feeling. I would be much better if I could wait in the car and then they could call me in!

I agree!! Its bad enough that you are nervous and then you have to wait thinking about it

missykat
19-02-11, 18:22
im the exactly the same!!! dont mind going to my GP but i never go to A&E terrified completely. hate the idea of x-rays lol and all other tests they do. eeeeek

shaka
19-02-11, 21:19
Hi Nikkixx you are not alone i to am scared off hospitals and the doctors, Im ashamed to say when my mam was in hospital four years ago i could,nt go and see her , i spoke on the phone everynight and she understood my fears . I did go to her the night before she died i dont know if she knew i was there ,i kissed her and left.I still am ashamed off myself .
shaka

bloxy
19-02-11, 21:31
I'm terrified of the doctors and have to be in a complete state before I go. This makes my anxiety worse because then I agonise over whether the thing that I am worrying about is serious enough to go to the doctors and if I'm being irresponsible by not going:wacko:

I'm also terrified of going and being referred for further investigation because I would just go to pieces and also them finding something seriously wrong with me.

I've got so bad about it that even having to take my kids to the doctor can cause a panic attack.

Zee
19-02-11, 21:31
Hi Nikki
Definately not alone. I dont even like to hear the word Dr!!.. 11 years ago I didnt suffer HA. Went to see GP,he ordered FBC and I went into overdrive with sudden anxiety and took 8 months to recover.
Nothing more on anxiety until 12 months ago. Had a sinus issue so I thought no problem, and went to GP.. He wanted another FBC as it had been 11 years. I flipped and HA grabbed a hold, been struggling with it since.
My FBC was very good but problem was that the anxiety had really set in while waiting for results and it just escalated. Should say though that a counsellor did help reduce it a fair bit..

macc noodle
20-02-11, 00:27
Thank you so much to all who have posted on this thread - it makes me feel that I am not the only one who suffers from this!

Through regression therapy, I know what my trigger was for this abject fear of hospitals and especially any treatments BUT knowing what triggered it still does not lessen it.

I have even run away from hospital when I should have been having a vaginal ultrasound! Pathetic I know.

My father in law currently in hospital and I force myself to go in (can just about manage visiting but it makes me so dizzy and sick and so fearful).

Jan
xx

itoldyouiwasill
20-02-11, 00:58
Just to buck the trend lol, I was the complete opposite!

I actually used to love going to the GP or A&E as it was only then that I actually felt somewhat safe and secure...this feeling was of course always short lived as I would always leave unsatisfied and with the feeling of being taken as a crock.

Do you remember the old Carry On movies? It must have been Carry On Nurse or whatever but that stereotypical matron type was the one who I always envisaged would greet me and hold me to her ample busom and reassure me that all was well and that no harm was going to come to me.

God, I had problems....LOL.

Greenman50
20-02-11, 01:05
Hi,

This is the first time I have started a post on here but I was just wondering if I am the only one that is scared of going to the Doctors or Hospital? When I read other threads people are saying that they seek reassurance by going to A & E or GP's but I go the other way and am too scared to go.

Obviously I do go to my GP (but only 1 particular 1 who knows me very well :) lol) but everything to do with hospitals etc terrifies me. Is this a phobia or just part of Health Anxiety?

Thank you for reading

Nikki x

Doctors nervous yes but do go .....don,t do hospitals :blush::blush:, i get so worked up , i,ve seen loads and loads of posts on here , i,m asking for this test and that test ...no thanks i,m a coward i,m to scared to go incase anything is wrong , ignorence is bliss (i know its not) but thats just me :blush:

nomorepanic
20-02-11, 01:07
Please be aware that this post is over 2.5 years old so the original poster may not even be a member now

Greenman50
20-02-11, 01:11
oppps... just noticed , must be past my bed time ..lol..

lorraine
20-02-11, 10:28
hi

yep im the same hate going to doctors scared of what they are going to tell me i have got!!!!

had to go to the hospital with my husband a couple of weeks ago and my legs went to jelly my heart was pounding and i was sweating and shaking but surprisingly i did keep it together for my husband.

Lorraine