PDA

View Full Version : Nothing for 2 days then BAM

PanicsAlot
07-03-08, 00:21
Hello...well anyone that's been following my threads will be pleased to know I hadn't had any form of 'attack' for the past 2 days, AT ALL....and now when I am trying to sleep one has gripped me. Pins and needles, dizzy, breathing, or shortness of when I close my eyes....just feel like everything is packing up......just don't get it when I've been ok for the last 2 days. SO tired, just want to sleep!xx

PanicsAlot
07-03-08, 00:33
and hate feeling that my arm and legs wont move if i need them to...UUUUUUUUURGH! SO unfair!!xx

Riodragon
07-03-08, 12:09
Hi you...
I know it seems so unfair when you have no reason for why you are ok one day then in pannic the next...
Those days will become less and less as time goes by so hang on in there.
I guess the place to start is in understanding that you are the one causing the attacks to start even though its unwittingly. Its your mind that brings them on and your mind that will make them stop. Try to recognise as soon as you are thinking in any negative way or about your last attacks.. When you do find yourself thinking about your last attacks try something really different.......laugh about them.. realise how daft it is for you to put yourself through it and how funny it is... go on smile about it. I know its hard but its so important not to give any priority to those attacks . Also as soon as you find yourself thinking about them ...smile but then stop thinking about them...they are not worth it..get your mind onto anything positive.....go and do something , anything ( I always found the best thing was to talk to somebody else and listen to thier problems)
Whats happening is that whilst you are thinking about them you are causing them to begin to spiral again.. These attacks have become overwhelming because you have spent too long thinking about them ..you are letting your mind take control. What happens to most people when they have a normal pannic is that they have thier pannic but afterwards they feel relieved that its over and then they forget about it...its gone , done and dusted. When we have our attacks they take us to a really deep level of fear that is much harder to just forget about and so we begin to live in fear of having more attacks.
But all thats really happened is that we have let our minds run away with us and its caused us to scare ourselves..
Its not as bad as you think.. You may think you cant control things but you can... just smile...let it go and move on to something positive.
Its not that easy because you are not used to doing it...It takes practise and hard work but in time you will retrain your mind so that you feel much more in control and those pannics that seem to come from nowhere will stop happening..
Nobody ever just loses control of there mind....its impossible...it cannot happen . It just feels that way sometimes. Just keep plugging away. Identify any negative thoughts and change them as quickly as possible .. You will do it ......

Lilith1980
07-03-08, 14:18
Hi ya

Maybe your subsonscious is actually anticipating another attack.

I know that if I have a few "good" days that I am wondering when the bubble will burst and I'll go back to feeling down again.

Often the mere anticipation of having a panic attack is enough to set a person off.

The best thing to do is not beat yourself up over this - you will only feel worse. Just try and distract yourself from these feelings by going for a walk, watching TV or a hobby. The more attention you pay these feelings, the worse they get and longer they last :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

sheba2
07-03-08, 17:24
Hi Panicsalot,

Great news that you have had a few panic free days. I think what the other replies have said is so true. Once you have learnt to panic properly then it almost becomes an art form. Your body and mind know how to react and go straight into olympic gold winning mode. I have had a really good few weeks, yes I have had attacks during that time but they haven't gone into full blown
somhow they just didn't seem so important. This week however has been a little different and the panic has been quite uncomfortable. Like jo says I have been waiting for the panic to come back almost tempting it wanting to see if I could beat it long term. I have paid too much attention to it as Brett says. But I have been doing the things that help. The distraction and relaxation techniques that I have practised and because I have made such an effort to learn and practice they have worked and I've been able to get on despite the panic.

I think coming to terms with the idea that panic is just that a state of mind that causes our bodies to react in a certain way is one of the hardest things. Our brain thinks we are in danger because we tell it we're frightened and so it gets our bodies ready for action and then we don't do anything so all those chemicals have no release and we feel panicky and anxious. This is why doing something to take your mind off the panic is so good but it does take practise.