PDA

View Full Version : what else could it be???

louwilliams
09-03-08, 12:39
I wonder if anyone can help me with this one? and I hope youve got 10 mins spare coz its a long one lol

For the last 3 weeks now I have had "butterflies" in my stomach-not the nice fluttery ones when we get exited but the horrid, heavy, scary ones which you get when you are terrified. the ones that make your stomach feel like youve missed a step or have gone over a bridge really fast(difficult to explain but you get the picture!) I have this feeling from the minute I wake up to the minute i eventually get to sleep-it peaks and dips, when it is on a level I can function almost normally (i.e do housework, pick children up etc) but when it peaks it is completely debilitating (i.e keeps me in bed all day, have to arrange for children to go elsewhere etc)

I have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for roughly 5/6 years now-i have had medication for it, seen a CPN and have had CBT and I know in my heart of hearts this is NOT panic related-panic attacks do not last for 3 weeks with no let up.

I took myself to hospital 2 weeks ago when i couldnt stand it anymore, but they just gave me an ECG and told me to take diazepam and sent me home. 2 days later it got so bad that I truely felt I was going to die (the adrenelin was so strong it felt like i was going to have a fit or something like that) so I took myself back into A&E and demanded they do something as I couldnt live like this any longer. They took bloods (glucose and thyroid) and put me on a moniter for my heart as i am having bad palpitations and chest pains. the moniter showed tacychardia (cant spell i know-means extra beats) and ive been referred to the cardiologist for a 24hr ecg. my glucose came back ok so that rules out diabetes but does it rule out me being hyperglycemic?? the throid came back normal but i insisted in more thyroid tests as 3 out of the 4 doctors i saw were convinced it was hyperthyroidism. i'm not waiting for t3 and t4 results as well as thyroid antibodies. i also have to do a 24hr urine test for something or other.

the reason for this post is because i would like peoples opinion on what else i could be tested for? i have suggested the t3 and t4 to the doctor off my own back but if these come back normal i want to keep on at them until they do something else as I am not convinced this time that it is the anxiety that is causing this. i have lived with this for years now and for it to suddenly change and manifest in such different and constant ways is not acceptableto me that it is anxiety.

sorry to go on and thanks for reading :blush:

lou xxx

lindadiana
09-03-08, 15:15
hello,i thought that too when i got new symptoms, that i know my body and what things i get with panic attacks but i have got new ones that i didnt used to have thirty years ago,i know what you mean though i had a really bad sinus problem it was horrendous pains in my head and all clogged feeling couldnt see properley all tense,and extremely dizzy even had to crawl on all fours it was so bad had my head in a steam bowl for weeks i went to the drs and they told me it was my nerves,i wasnt happy with that so after around four months of suffering i went to see another dr he gave me some nasel drops and told me i had cattargh in the tubes behind my ears and that this was causing the off balance and unreal feelings i was getting my head would feel like it was bouncing up and down all the time.and after around six weeks of using the spray it started to go but took around nine months to comepletly go,so so much for drs saying everything is nerves.but your stomache prolems sounds like what i get often its a horrible feeling of tightnes and like your stomaces bursting outwards and heavy and churning mine effects my breathing(in my head im sure) i tie belts around my waist so tight to relieve it a bit,i lay on the hard floor on my stomache and i too feel i cant do anything when i get it as it makes me very panicky im sure you will find it is yet another panic related thing hope you get some relief soon,hugs to you linda

kellie
09-03-08, 16:08
no you lou are right panic probley dont feel like that all the time but gad does (generalized anx disorder) it is an anx that never leaves you and is there all day long like a feeling of terrible dread and something bad is going to happen but you just dont know what. also you can feel very scared and a sick feeling in your tummy all the time. realy lou gad is anx that stays there all the time and you dont get no break from it. that dont mean it wont go away hun it will. you have been under stress latley with the house, the girls, mark, and his uncle. its not supriseing it has creeped up on you. i hope ive reasured you this is nothing more serious hun. oh by the way ive tried my best with the spelling lol. take care hun and try not to worry to much.

kellie. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

margaret911
09-03-08, 16:47
Aw Lou
Sorry you are having syomach problems but it does sound like anxiety manifesting itself in a different way, it will pass hunni, try not to worry about it although I know that's easier said than done. Take care.
love Mags xxx

lorac
09-03-08, 17:14
Hi lou
I went through a phase of this, my stomach and my chest seemed to flood with adrenalin, just doing the simplest things would set them off. It felt like big surges going through my body all the time, they would even wake me up at night from a sound sleep.

I am sorry I don't know how to help you stop these but all I can tell you is that mine did eventually wear off after a few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon coz I do know how horrible this one feels but I think it is all to do with the anxiety.

Love
Carol
xx

kazzie
09-03-08, 17:52
Hi Lou:)

Just a random idea but could it be IBS???

I suffer with it and have some pills called buscopan that relax your tummy

Kaz x x x:hugs:

decca
09-03-08, 18:41
Hi Lou,
I get that to, the going over a bridge thing describes it well,just that it goes on a lot longer and sends every nerve in your body into overdrive , it's absalutely aweful feeling.
I'm pretty sure it's a lot to do with IBS when your anxiety is very high and dreading it coming on just makes it happen more, I've found that taking Valium and paracetamol ( not together ) helps.
Do you take Aspirin ? I take a mini aspirin for angina and have found it helps if I take it with my main meal.
Do you get bad sweats and headaches with these attacks ? when you went to A&E was your blood pressure OK,have you done the 24 hour urine tests yet ?
Decca.

Tom_M
09-03-08, 19:43
For the last 3 weeks now I have had "butterflies" in my stomach-not the nice fluttery ones when we get exited but the horrid, heavy, scary ones which you get when you are terrified. the ones that make your stomach feel like youve missed a step or have gone over a bridge really fast(difficult to explain but you get the picture!) I have this feeling from the minute I wake up to the minute i eventually get to sleep-it peaks and dips, when it is on a level I can function almost normally (i.e do housework, pick children up etc) but when it peaks it is completely debilitating (i.e keeps me in bed all day, have to arrange for children to go elsewhere etc)What you are describing Lou is anxiety associated with depression, not anxiety related to panic attacks, though you can get both. I'd go to see your GP and tell him how you feel. Antidepressants work well on this type of anxiety.

louwilliams
10-03-08, 18:28
Cheers for all your replies guys

I still feel the same and just want it to go- I just want ann answer to this that isnt "anxiety or stress related" as i'm starting to feel that this is just being used as an excuse by doctors now.

lou xxxx

decca
10-03-08, 19:21
Hi Lou,
Have you had the 24 hour urine tests yet ?

louwilliams
10-03-08, 21:13
I'm Doing It Tomorrow So It'll Be In For Wednesday

decca
10-03-08, 22:16
Good. - do you get any other symptoms , like heavy sweating or bad headaches , what's your blood pressure like ?

louwilliams
11-03-08, 11:02
not heavy sweating as such but I am warm most of the time (always sleep with window open etc) not bad headaches but I used to get very bad "head zaps " up until a few weeks ago and my blood pressure is normal

cheers hun

lou xxxx

decca
11-03-08, 17:18
Hi Lou,
Yea it sounds like you're getting really bad panic attacks, I used to get them like that, hits the centre of your stomach then sends alarm bells to all the nerves in your body, just like a massive and prolonged adrenaline surge.
I've had my thyroid checked twice in the past 6 months because my hands were shaking so badly.
Mine eased off when I started taking Valium.
Did they do any other tests when you were in hospital other than for thyroid ?
Best wishes
Decca.

Jon06121974
12-03-08, 17:28
Hi

I to have exactly the same problems, i constantly feel like my blood sugar is falling but its not, this all started suddeenly about 6 months ago with a string of sudden attacks that left me shivering and sweating on the floor.

Ive had every test and no problems and have been told on so many occasions its panic. unfortunately we get so sensitised that we are in a constant state of panic and even when we think were switched off were not.

Ive just started yoga which works while im doing it but comes back with avengence after but ive justgot to persevere and lean to find my way of relaxing.

louwilliams
12-03-08, 18:27
Decca mine eases off when I take diazepam but the point being I dont want to be on these for the rest of my life-I just wish there was a miracle cure

thanks for all your replies guys

lou xxxxxxxxxxxx

decca
12-03-08, 20:18
Hi Lou,
Hope you're feeling better today, Yea I know, non of us likes taking meds, but a lot of the time our sub concious gets into the habit of having various symptoms and if the Diaz. helps then in time your mind will forget about those horrible attacks and you can ease off the meds.
Take care ,
Decca.

decca
12-03-08, 20:22
Hi Jon,
Yoga or Pilates is a very good way of relaxing, I also find puzzle solving or anything creative is good,it just concentrates the mind on something other than your symptoms.
Best wishes,
Decca.