PDA

View Full Version : trying to lose weight on Citalopram

anxiouschick
10-03-08, 22:02
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone taking this med has had problems losing weight. I gained 3 and a half stone on Seroxat in under 2 years and although I'm not putting on weight with Citalopram, although I'm trying, I'm not losing anything either. Am eating less and doing lots of exercise but apart from losing a bit in the first few weeks when I could barely eat anything, nothing is happening.
Thanks

H22
10-03-08, 22:05
Eating less probably isn't helping, try eating more healthy, well balanced meals along with exercise and you should start to see effect once the tablets have settled in maybe?
Sorry i can't be of more help x

Franz
11-03-08, 01:44
Agree with Heather - losing weight is something you have to do gradually. If you try to rush it by crash-dieting and exercising like crazy, it's not long before your body goes into starvation mode, because it's burning a lot more calories than it's receiving. This means that your metabolism slows quite dramatically and you stop losing weight - in fact you might even start putting it on again.

I put on a lot of weight on clomipramine, and at one point went on a crash diet. I lost a lot of weight in the first month, then couldn't lose any more. As soon as I started eating normally again, I put most of the weight back on - and surprisingly quickly.

(My experience with citalopram is that it makes me put on weight, but nowhere near as much as clomipramine did.)

anxiouschick
11-03-08, 16:20
I appreciate what you're saying, but I haven't been crash dieting. For the first few weeks on Citalopram, I had little appetite as I felt a bit sick, then after that, I have been eating a healthy well balanced diet for the last 8 weeks and doing lots of walking the dog, yoga and swimming.
I suppose I expected to lose slowly and steadily as I have done pre medication, but I seem to be at a stuck point with weight loss, so I was just wondering whether meds can put weight on you or slow weight loss down. I know from experience it certainly can with Seroxat, but was curious about Citalopram.

Miss Ellen
13-03-08, 07:26
Eating less probably isn't helping, try eating more healthy, well balanced meals along with exercise and you should start to see effect once the tablets have settled in maybe?

i have to disgree, sorry, im 30 years old and in my experience, eating less food makes you lose weight, its very simple. Eating more food, even `healthy' food, makes you want to eat more generally. i was a size-8 for years and years and never had breakfast or even ate fruit, vegetables or drank water!!!

yorkylover
14-03-08, 00:56
Im on citalopram and I gained weight.I then had to go on a yeast free diet which is very difficult and I lost a stone.Now Im just careful with what I eat.Crash diets are bad for you.I agree with Heather and Frances carry on eating sensible and exercising,the weight will come off.Dont keep weighing your self,do it every couple of weeks.
Im sorry but I dont agree with Miss Ellen Its not a good idea to alot less food,of course you will lose weight,but that is an unhealthy way of doing it.Not having breakfast,water,vegetables,and fruit is not good

Allye
17-03-08, 00:31
Probably eating healthier food rather than less food is better.

Having said that I have put on 2 stone on citalopram without changing my diet so you have my complete sympathy !

andrea568
08-11-08, 02:37
I tried everythig, I ate healthily, swam evernight, kept myself fit but citalopram stops you losing weight, an honest GP should tell you that

bumbles
08-11-08, 08:28
Antidepressants cause weight gain FACT. It is also more difficult to lose weight you have to eat fewer calories than a person not on these me:yesyes: ds. Fat and happy or thin and misserable. What a choice:doh: lol

bab
08-11-08, 09:53
andrea - hear hear!!! xx

Insewayweipse
01-12-09, 13:27
This might not be the most righteous forum for this matter, but since weight loss is a national pandemic, I was positive that there will possibly be many men or women here, who have been through any weight loss plans at all. In case you have some familiarity whatsoever kindly share.I am in particular unclear on what weight loss item to choose, as there are so numerous choices out there. The most recent hypes on Oprah like hoodia gordonii or garcinia cambogia don't make this subject any more straightforward. I really don't know where to begin, should I opt for an exact diet plan, routine of exercises...All I came to realize is that a change is necessary. And this change must take place now. http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif (http://www.bloglines.com/blog/hf00d3iegide)

ladybird64
01-12-09, 13:52
And this has what to do with anxiety? :lac:

meesh
01-02-10, 22:47
I have gained so much weight on these tablets..hence reason not taken them anymore been off them 4 months and still struggling to loose weight! HELP.. :-(

Clarissa83
28-05-10, 22:13
I have put weight on during taking Cit, I am now doing slimming world, I am now weaning myself off Cit. Is it possible I might lose the weight now??xx

aims123
30-06-10, 20:02
its not a FACT that antidepressants cause weight gain!!
Citalopram isnt a fatty drug, anti depressants change your mind frame, which phycologically can change your eating habits. For example, if you feel happier you eat less, because you used to find comfort in food, or because your happier you eat more, because you feel happier in your skin.!!! its the mind, NOT the drug

miles
30-06-10, 21:37
I've been on Cit. for 7 months and I've put on 2 stone.

I know exactly why!
Before the meds I couldn't stand sweet things, preferring an apple or cheese as a snack. I also found it impossible to eat once I was not hungry....

After taking the meds I could eat chocolate bars as an olympic sport, eat a M&S chocolate cake at one sitting......

I know since the anxiety and depression I have eaten for comfort, but my comfort food would be a nice home made vegetable stew etc.

After cit. my comfort food is anything that is bad. I think it does change your taste.

Anyone else notice that on Cit. you no longer get hungry, although you can eat a huge amount at mealtimes?

I've got the perfect Homer Simpson shape now..... damn.

YvonneBelle
03-07-10, 00:09
I've always had a strong appetite except when suffering some teenage angst and I stopped eating when I lost a boyfriend (bad idea).

When I'm down, I eat more - biscuits, bread, cheese, chocolate, crisps

When I'm hungry I eat - fish, salads, tomatoes, eggs, bread and pasta (but not all together)

When I'm happy I eat... anything!!

On Cit, my appetite is food... nom nom nom but I do try and keep it reasonably healthy. At the moment I'm loving anything cold and creamy, like muller rices, yoghurts, fruit juices and trifle. I start the day with granola, banana, strawberries and cold skimmed milk and absolutely love it. Oh and did I mention Carte Noir cappuccino?

I'm already around two stone heavier than I'd like to be so I definately don't want to add to this, hence I'm sincerely hoping that my new gym membership will help me out. But if the scales start to creep up then I'm joining slimming world. If I stick to that plan and exercise then I will lose weight because I know it works as I've done it before. If it doesn't work on Cit (without cheating) then I'll blame the Cit. :)

bab
03-07-10, 16:37
aims - i have to disagree - i used to be very slim and since going on ssris i put on over 4 stone. especially citalopram. my doc has said it puts weight on as had my pschiatrist. i have tried diets, excercise, healthy eating and xenical and can lose a coupleof pounds but thats it. its a fact that they do put weight on apart from a few lucky ones that dont get this side effect. when i come off the tablets my weight does go down but its not because i eat less. and when im on the tablets im not happeir - i am just able to function and i dont eat any more.

Barbaramay
09-02-11, 07:59
I have noticed since i stopped cit that i had water retention and must have weed at least 5 pints in the first couple of days, and while i was on them i too developed a very sweet tooth, but did not pile on the pounds like some people here, i think it depends on your metabolism. Hope this helps.xx

sop84
09-02-11, 11:07
I've put on a whopping 9lbs since November! :weep:

And I know that its my fault... as I've been comfort eating and not going to the gym and being a right lazy bum! I don't blame the a/d's as I know that i'm being honest with myself and know for a fact that I did this and the 9lbs is down to me. It could be the a/d's but in my case I know its me.

Any advice on how I can shift the weight safely. I dnt want to crash diet xx

suzy-sue
09-02-11, 20:08
This stuff causes your Metabolism to slow down .Also Sweet AND carb cravings .These things turn into fat and are stored .If you cut down or avoid them you will loose a bit of weight but not much .Excercise regularly and it will help increase metabolic rate . Sue

Thomas75
12-03-11, 02:26
Hello guys and girls!

I'm 36 and have been on Cipramil for several years. I'm now off them, and trying to lose my bellyfat through exercise. I've only started though. I'm slim, except for my belly and face, which have put on some fat. I dunno if it was the pills or my sweet tooth combined with a very lazy life that made me gain weight though.

Here's what I've learned so far.

Besides healthy, varied eating habits (diets don't work) the best way to lose overall body fat is to combine high-intensity cardio such as interval training on threadmill, with strength training. Why strength training? Because it helps you build more lean muscle mass. And the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Muscles burn fat by just being there, so the more of it you have, the more you burn. Even when you're resting.

And remember, you can't spot reduce fat loss. The body controls where you lose fat first. In most cases, the belly fat comes off last. That's just the way it is.

Good luck, guys!

ashrelive
14-03-11, 11:50
I gained weight while on Citalopram - going from regular exercise and great shape, best of my life, to the worst shape I've been in my whole life, and around 50 lbs gain (not muscle :D). But, in all honesty, other factors contributed to that as well. The Citalopram made it easier for me to not care as much, perhaps, which didn't help with maintaining my health. And, after being off Citalopram for approx 4 months now, my weight hasn't drastically reduced just by being off the drug alone. Contributed to weight gain? perhaps. But only because, for some reason, it was easier to not care as much.

Thomas75
14-03-11, 22:25
It seems that it's impossible to automatically lose the fat you gained from the medication when you stop taking the pills. Fat gained from medication, be it due to eating or the pills themselves, act like any other fat. It has to be exercised away. Unfortunately!

I hope the stories about how fat gained from anti-depressants are harder to lose, are untrue.

I've started to eat healthy 24/7 and I go to the gym 5 days a week. So time will tell!

Best of luck to you guys!

Greenman50
19-03-11, 19:53
Is it not a case of you eat poor when you are depresed anxious and when the tabs kick in you feel better and eat more ? I lost 1.5 stone but put it back on since being on cit . I,m now at just under 16 stone and at 6 feet 2 is about what i feel right at .

The way i,ve always lost weight is to count calories . If i have say 3000 calories aday and maintain weight ....i cut down to say 2500 and if i lose a few ponds i stick to these calories ,if i start to maintain instead of lose i drop the calories . Dead easy if you can stick to the calories and not cheat .
You can also eat not enough and your metabolism slows down and you lose nothing .

Ameryy
24-03-11, 06:47

HI,
Yeah thats the right tip to lose and gain weight both...
Eat healthy with lite exercise would make you normal and fit as you want to see your self...

amandays25
04-10-12, 09:58
Before on any medication I lost about 60 lbs. no problem. Then I was diagnosed with depression/ocd/and anxiety and was placed on Lexapro. I have no insurance so I was switched to Citalopram about 7 years ago. Since then I have gained back the 60 lbs plus another ten without changing my diet. Now I am trying so hard to lose weight with my second time on Weight Watchers along with my mom. She is losing weight, we are eating the same things and I'm not losing anything. Of course she isn't on Citalopram.

ShaunKGrande
27-07-13, 08:19
Have you tried slimming pills?