PDA

View Full Version : Some of you may be entitled to free CBT

Forgetmenot
11-03-08, 15:07
Hi

I've been paying privately for CBT/hypnotherapy for a time. Obviously, the money could be used elsewhere and the expense has been a stress in itself.

During the course of recovery I have gone back to work. Because I was off so long they made me see occupational health. The occupational health said that having CBT was the best thing I can do, and as long as I keep it up they have no reason to restrict my work contract in any way (what a relief!)

Anyway - they told me I could have had free CBT through occupational health if I'd wanted. If only I'd know that at the start!!!

I work for the NHS - a massive employer, so there's bound to be some of you on here who may also be able to look into free CBT through that root. For those who dont work for the NHS, I'm sure many many other companies & organisations use occupation health departments that can offer you CBT if appropriate.

nomorepanic
11-03-08, 19:32
CBT is always free on the NHS - I had it many years ago. You need to ask your GP to refer you on.

The big problem is the waiting list I am afraid.

martyn56
29-03-08, 01:32
Yes that's correct, CBT is available to anyone on the NHS if recommended by their GP. I have just started mine after waiting about 9 months. Too early to report at this stage but I am very hopeful of an improvement in my GAD.

The good news is that there is a government initaitive running to train more therapists in order to bring the waiting lists down significantly.

Martyn :yesyes:

Richie
29-03-08, 15:12
Hi Nicola and Martyn
yes i had CBT in my twenties and it was a rapid success, that was with the swindon health authority at the time, even had a person who was trained at the maudsley as well!
But all these years later second time around and now living in Worthing under the worthing Primary Trust in 4 years they have told me (from the horses mouth) that there are no nhs CBT therapists in this area. Apparently there used to be one a long time ago , but he has been gone long long ago
I have done lots of research and checked on this with many people??
So i don't understand?? That's why got to go private or do it myself
Richie xxx

Richie
29-03-08, 15:15
Please what should i do ? It is the honest truth.
Richie x x x

sandlin
31-03-08, 16:08
I also work for the Nhs and got free counselling but got the cbt through my gp and only had to wait about 4 weeks to start.
The inequality is rubbish.

Linda xx

Bunty
31-03-08, 16:55
Richie

I suggest you e-mail your MP or make an official complaint to the NHS.
I contacted my MP which I thought was drastic action a while ago about something else.
It's worth a go as they'll do anything to get your vote!

Buntyx

Richie
31-03-08, 20:52
Hi i did repsond to this but it seems to have disappeared ????????
Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nok_tok
02-04-08, 01:24
i was refused cbh due to nhs cutbacks in my area :(

Emira7
03-04-08, 16:04
I picked up an occupational health form as I did think about going through them.

I work for the NHS by the way - I am on a waiting list at the moment.

I guess anything is worth a try hey!
xx