PDA

View Full Version : The Emotional Freedom Technique

sadie
13-11-03, 21:59
Hi everyone

I recently bought a book called 'Emotional Healing in Minutes' as I was desperate and would do anything to just stop feeling so panicky all the time. This book talks about how many people believe that the body can be healed through the mind but this book shows how in fact the mind can be healed through the body.This is where the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) comes in. The basic principles of this technique are the same as acupuncture, which recognises the existence of an inherent energy factor within us that is responsible for our overall health and is called the meridian system. (not my words, these come straight from the book)

The meridians are energetic pathways within the body that relay information to our organs and tisues of our physical body. If there are any blockages in the meridian system, then this can cause internal disruption and eventually lead to illness and disease.
The meridian also registers emotions, feelings and sensations. Therefore, everytime we experience an emotion our body's energy system is influenced to a certain degree.

The EFT has been designed to directly interact with the energy system, rebalancing and stabilizing the disruption that occurs when a distressing emotion is experienced. This helps us feel calm and relaxed.

There is a specific technique to this which involves tapping certain parts of the body whilst saying specific statements. I know this all may sound a bit weird... I too was a bit sceptical but when your desperate you'll try anything. I was amazed of how relaxed I felt after a few rounds of the tapping. I actually felt the pressure I felt in my chest move away and I felt so relaxed, in fact I remeber that day was the first time I actually had a good laugh and felt relaxed in ages.

If anyone wants to know more about the book and the technique then I will be happy to pass on any info.

Take care.

sadie

twister
13-11-03, 22:04
I remember finding a good website on this - cant remember the address now but do a google search. You tap parts of your body whilst making positive affirmations and it is quite relaxing.

Meg
13-11-03, 23:28
Hi Sadie,

This works on two levels, firstly as you say directly onto the meridian pathway and secondly it focuses you on doing something positive and helpful for yourself.
It's often used very sucessfully on PTSD patients.

Kiniesiologists use it a lot when they're balancing you out.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
14-11-03, 00:52
yes,ive heard about this as well,the meridean points are treated to balance ying and yang,as the chinese put it...and lets face it,chanting positive thoughts can only do good,never harm...good post...bryan.

diana
14-11-03, 00:54
Hiya Sadie,
This technique you speak of sounds awesome. If you can please send me some information, any you can spare would be great!!! I`d like to try the technique myself. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!!!

Diana xxx

Laurie28
14-11-03, 10:05
Hi all,

This is the 1st technique my CBT gave me. It never worked for me but I must admit never got into the full 'tapping' thing.

Word of advice don't try it in supermarkets etc as it includes humming lines of songs and tapping all your acupunture points
You are likely to get odd looks if you do it in your local Tesco's !!!

Love
Lucky

nomorepanic
15-11-03, 22:40
Lucky

Lol - if I see people wandering around Tesco tapping themselves then I know why!!

Nicola

diana
16-11-03, 17:39
Hey All,

LOL............ Now that we`ve been informed, we will be looking for people tapping themselves. Who knows if I feel edgy enough I may join them. LOL...................

Thanks,

Diana xxx

sadie
17-11-03, 00:15
For all who are interested in some body 'tapping'

The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has a 85% success rate and lasting results can be achieved in minutes without no pain!!

For the technique to work you must identify the feelings or upsetting thoughts involved in order to eliminate the negative effects. This technique also works whether you believe in it or not all it requires from you is to remain open to the healing approach.

There are different stages to this technique:

1.Identify the problem - such as the physical pain (e.g tight chest), fear, memory or issue you would like to work on.

2.Formulate a Statement - create a statement that encompasses these feelings. It must be specific and must represent the reality of your situation. The more specific you are the deeper the level of healing. Naming the problem will produce better results and use the present tense. e.g 'I feel angry'. Now place the words 'Even though I .... in front of yor chosen statement, followed by... I deeply and completely accept myself'. This affirmation is used as it promotes acceptance of the problem and of yourself and it overrides any part of you that does not want to change or that has a hidden agenda to keep you as you are. The statement is best said out loud but as Lucky says its maybe not a good idea out in public!!

3. Score Chart - now score your issue from 1 to 10, ten being the highest intensity. This helps you check whether your problem is being resolved after the 1st round of tapping.

4. Affirmation link up - to give your statement/affirmation more energy, place both hands on your upper chest just below your collarbone. Focusing on your problem, find a tender or sore point in this location. Gently rub the sore points in a circular motion whilst repeating your affirmation 3 times out loud.

5. The Tapping sequence - This begins with a reminder phrase then begins by clearing the energy circuit. The short reminder phase is used to keep you focused on your problem and is said everytime you tap a meridian point. e.g This tight chest. Using 2 fingers , gently tap each point in sequence 7 times while repeating your reminder phase, this can be as long as it takes you to breeathe in and out, or say the reminder phrase 3 times.
1. Eyebrow - tap beginning of eyebrow point at top of nose
2. Side of Eye - tap at corner of socket bone
3. Under the eye - tap at centre of the bone below the eye, level with your pupil
4. Under the nose - tap the middle line between the nose abd top lip seven times
5.Chin - tap middle of chin, level with your gum line
6. Collarbone - tap where the collarbone meets the centre, just below the neck
7. Underarm - on your body under the arm, level with the nipple in men and the seam of a bra for woman
8. Thumb - tap the outside edge of thumb, level with base of thumbnail
9. Index finger - tap at side edge of index finger ( nearest to thumb), level with the base of your fingernail
10. Little finger - tap at side of little finger (ne****t to thumb)
11. Karate chop - tap on the side of each hand, roughly an inch belowthe little finger

once you have completed this sequence- close your eyes and take a deep breath- in and out.

12. the Gamut - This point can be found on the back of each hand, one centimetre below the knuckles between the ring and little finger. Tap this point whilst performing the next few steps:
Close your eyes
Open your eyes
While holding your head still lo0k hard down left
While holding your head still look hard down right
While holding your head still look hard down left
Keeping your head still roll your eyes in an anti-clockwise direction
Repeat the same process rolling in a clockwise direction
Take a deep breath in and out.
Relax for a few minutes.

The Second Sequence - Once you have completed the Gamut a 2nd tapping sequence is pepeated but starting from the eyebrow point to the Karate chop point.

The Reassessment - Now check how you are feeling about your original problem. Score it out of 10. Some problems are resolved completely after this b

benoo5
17-11-03, 01:05
hi sadie,

wot a great post,thank you very much!

i just have an old pc,held 2gether with elastic bands,so i will have to keep returning to it,and write it all out in long hand.

ime well known in sainsburys,cos ime always singing to myself(born in wales),so ime sure they wont think any less of me for tapping lol.

once again,thank you,.best wishes..bryan,

diana
17-11-03, 02:41
Hiya Sadie!!!

Wow thanks for the post. I printed the whole thing out to keep. I will definitely practice these techniques. They sound simple enough. Hey Bryan, if this actually works who cares what others think right!!!! LOL............................ Thanks all for the posts and the laughs, that alone helps alot.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Meg
17-11-03, 10:02
Hi Sadie,

I went to a Kinesiologist who did lots of this .
I think I got away easily as I just had to go round tapping under my eyes along with the positive affirmation as it was mainly one particular meridian .

Thank you for taking the trouble for posting this. It's a great resource.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
17-11-03, 18:41
Hi Sadie

Thanks for that :-) I am thinking about doing a new webpage about remedies so I could add this to that.

Cheers

Nicola