PDA

View Full Version : Success story, and 'what if's'

Angel64
15-03-08, 08:16
At the moment I am trying to achieve a better life for myself, nothing great just the ability to feel 'free' and be able to go places I haven't been for a long time.
I did a deal with a friend on Thursday night that on Friday I would go on the motorway, having agaoraphobia had made me think I didnt like motorways and couldnt drive on one for love for money.
I used to love driving miles on the motorway, the open road, with the radio on, so as I was driving instead of tuning into my 'can't do this, what if ????'
state of mind, I daydreamed back to the days of enjoying it.
I drove along that strip (only did 1 junction there and back) radio blasting, and relaxed, the speed was a bit scary but got up to 60 on the way back. I didnt let the anxiety in, oh it tried the odd blip of a chest pain, but I just smiled, enjoyed the scenery and feeling part of it again.
On my journey to where I would like to be in my life, I am having major setbacks, but it has been part of my life for so long, feeling anxious is just the habit I have adopted.
I know I will never be that person I was before, but I have realised I can not only remember things I used to enjoy doing but the emotions I felt at that time.
I went to Mcdonalds for breakfast after it, which is something else I used to do regularly, and had such a feeling of happiness and achievement it was well worth doing.
The main thing I have noticed is the difference between sitting in the house, running through a situation, and imagination all the 'what if's'. I will never know if those 'what if's' would really happen if I dont get out there.
I am going to look at 'what if' I go on the motorway and enjoy it and want to do it a lot more often cause it isn't half as scary as my mind blows it up to be sitting in my lounge lol.

Christine xx :flowers:

kate
15-03-08, 08:22
Awww, well done Christine :D

Kate

PUGLETMUM
15-03-08, 08:53
:yahoo: christine - that is brill- well done to you, and keep it up:yesyes:

honeybee
15-03-08, 12:02
hi. You've just given me some inspiration for this evening. I'm going out with loads of mates for the first time in ages. I too am agoraphobic and from the moment I woke up this morning ive had all the 'what if's'. Now I'm just gonna look forward to it. I'll prob read your post a few times today for a bit of confidence that intact we can all 'do it' thanks

Angel64
15-03-08, 12:08
It all about helping each other, have a great evening and enjoy every minute !!

Who inspired me was Gemmy who drove 80 miles the other night on her own and am sure won't mind me thanking her for the inspiration she gave me.

Lindalou64
15-03-08, 12:14
Ya Did A Great Job Christine.........i Have Issues W/highways Myself......but Workin On It.....your Right The What Ifs Are With You At Home Outside Highway Ect.......and None Of Those What Ifs Happen........well Done Christine...............love Linda

chalky
15-03-08, 12:32
Hi Chris,

What a fantastic post.
The positive vibes are great.
Don't worry about ever being the person you were.As you continue to recover,you will find a new you, blessed with wonderful qualities as a result of the experiences you have come through.
Keep believing in yourself.
Best wishes,
Chalky

franklin2003
15-03-08, 14:01
Wow great job..it's as simple as that isn't it? Just to turn old habits into dead habits and get out there and see that there isn't anything you can't do! Great job!

heidi
15-03-08, 15:16
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/heidi51/JOBWELLDONE.gif

Hi Chris, Keep up the great work, a little push can take you a long way! What a wonderful post . :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

franklin2003
15-03-08, 17:40
Oh one more thing? I quote

"I know I will never be that person I was before, but I have realised I can not only remember things I used to enjoy doing but the emotions I felt at that time."

I hope this is in a positive light, meaning you will never go down the path of anxiety and panic again once you've overcome this....

Southern_Belle
16-03-08, 17:06
Christine,

I am so glad you fought through the "what ifs" and moved forward. The "what ifs" kept me from really living for the first half of my life. It is extremely difficult to move beyond it but when you do there is not feeling like it and I'm so glad you were able to feel it. You are so right that our mind can make things much worse than they actually are!

Love and hugs,

Laura

sarajane
16-03-08, 19:37
You go girl Go!
One small step every day that's all we need to do.

Wow I can't wait to hear all about your next adventure.

Love SJ

Liverbird67
16-03-08, 19:58
well done chris

lots of love

Liverbird

Angel64
16-03-08, 21:11
Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I did the motorway run again today just to prove the first time wasn't just a fluke, and even treated myself to a Mcdonalds again. :yesyes:

Angel64
20-03-08, 20:53
An update, well things are going well, the anxiety is still the same but the way i react to it has definately changed.
Yesterday I went into town, even had breakfast out, and went to the market and M&S for a chocolate lucy lamb for my mum for easter.
I felt really faint at one point though, but remembered i'd had no breakfast, I could have raced home but decided to eat out and carry on.

Today I was feeling really dizzy and unreality was there big style, I felt as if I just wanted to stay in bed all day ! But I had bought a new bed last week and really wanted to decorate my bedroom, and a friend offered to do it for me as long as I went into town for the paint, well within 20 minutes I was driving into town, I still felt the same but I knew it wouldn't harm me.
I managed to not only get paint but new bedding and curtains and some wall art, well if I was going to go I may as well spend I thought !!
When I got home I started to help paint but got a bit anxious because I got that awful thing where i could feel my heart beating, my friend told me to sit down for a while, and sure enough after about 20 minutes I felt better.

I have realised it is just a matter of persevering and I am not going to let this rule my life any longer.

All the best to the rest of you travelling down the same road, each step we take together.

franklin2003
20-03-08, 21:34
Wow those anxiety symtpoms you are experiencing will begin to deminish more and more as you do these things..

I'm so happy for you, you now hold the cure and you can never ever go back to that lost feeling of anxiety...congrats!!

pink daisy
20-03-08, 23:52
Welldone Christine:flowers: you are really starting to get confident in believing yourself. keep attacking those thoughts hun, and dont let them win!!

:yesyes: You will get those Goals you Desire :yesyes:

You go Girl!!

Daisy xx

weeble40
31-03-08, 10:25
Aww Chris Im so proud of you, well done keep up the good work mate, you are an inspriration to us all

Emma xxxx