PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic heart/beats - some help

Moose1963
19-03-05, 00:21
I have been suffering with ectopic heart beats for about 5 months. They started when I was in bed one night and appeared to be random but recently, after councelling, I have realised that there is a trigger - not always associated with how I feel at the time. I looked on a US web forum and found that most people who suffered with ectopic beats said that they were worse when dehydrated. So I experimented a little, and low and behold, if I drink more water, they are not as strong. This week I was suffering with ectopics and a tight chest and on two occasions it passed shortly after drinking a couple of glasses of water. I'm not saying this will get rid of them, altogether but it might provide some temporary assistance and it works for me.

I also read on the forum ways to stop palpitation attacks (when the heart continues to thump). The first is to cough hard 3 times and the second is to hold your nose, close your mouth and blow - as if you are clearing your ears after landing from a plane. Apparantly, this forces the lungs backwards and applies pressure to the nerve leading to the heart. I don't get attacks so I don't know if these methods work.

dizzyd
19-03-05, 15:44
I agree with advice for ectopic heartbeats - I have made a concerted effort to drink more water since the homeopath advised me to do this last Thursday - and I can honestly say they have reduced noticibly. The most effective way to drink water is sipping it not gulping it - gulping it can shock your digestive system and cause your heart to over react. (So I was told anyway!)

seh1980
19-03-05, 17:28
[Wow!] I had never heard of any of those tips!!

vernon
19-03-05, 18:28
Lol i havnt either but will try it thanks

Tracy68
19-03-05, 18:40
I haven't heard of that either. I suffer with ectopic beats too so will give it a go and let you know if it works.
Tracy
x

nomorepanic
19-03-05, 19:01
Thanks for the info and I hope it helps some of those on here that suffer.

Nicola

JoAsh85
17-03-08, 19:12
I am 22 and have been having them for over a year, I had a 24 hour ECG done and was told what they were, but not to worry about them. But it's still a bit disconcerting when they do happen! Thanks for the advice, will definately try it. Good to know i'm not the only one with them!

Jo

shaz01
18-03-08, 20:49
Hi folks,

I had definitly heard about the dehydration and I think thats true, I try and drink more water, I still get them however I think dehydration is definilty a trigger.

I havent tried the 'nose holding' yet however I will bear it in mind.

Thanks.

Shaz x

EarthMother
20-03-08, 19:57
Deep bow of thanks ... should have read this BEFORE I just went out with my therapist for the last two hours. I had a few strong THUDS (from those missed beats) and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I've had them over 25 years ... and somehow they've never gotten easier to accept.

I'll try the tips!

dizzyd
26-03-08, 09:41
Hi Everyone, :yesyes:

It's been ages since I posted on here . . . . found myself browsing the boards to catch up with people and lo and behold on this thread I notice a reply from myself 3 years ago on ectopic beats and drinking water to inhibit them. I felt I had to come on here to give hope to people struggling with anxiety, ectopic heart beats, heart worries etc ....:hugs:

3 years ago my whole life was managed around how I felt, my world was small - sometimes as small as my bed (ie couldn't get out of it as too scared) However now - I am not 'magically' cured nor do I profess to be able to do absolutely anything but time has taught me patience and acceptance. :winks:

To say I wish I had managed it all differently would be futile. However I feel I have learned a lot about myself and understanding of others who suffer in a similar way.

I was worried that I may have scarred my son for life with always 'running' away from things or just not managing to do them - Not so - we have the most wonderfully balanced, caring, confident 12 year old son. At a recent parents evening we were filled with a real joy of being told to go home and have more and fill the school with more like him! - proud parent talking and all that! :shades: Seriously - he just seems to have such an incredible insight into managing emotion and he talks to me about what I have been through when we go on our 5 mile dog walks in the countryside!

I think what I am trying to say is - I have been prompted to reflect on how my life has developed since my reply on this thread 3 years ago .. .

I am overjoyed that I can write that life has improved greatly, I am no longer on any medication, I manage my 'heart' fears rationally and enjoy living in the moment and not constantly worrying about what if? If I do feel a 'thud', or feel a sudden weakness, or get a pain 'in my heart region' or wake to a racing heart in the night etc ...I can generally rationalise it and think - been there, done that etc. :winks:

Now, for those of you where I was 3 years ago - please don't be dis-heartened and think - oh it's all right for her. :shrug: I genuinely know that other peoples experiences can sometimes seem poles apart to what you are going through. My prayer for you :emot-pray: is that you will learn acceptance and that one day you will be able to reflect positively about your whole experience.

I can honestly say that I appreciate the smaller things in life - ie being able to have the freedom to walk, shop, go to concerts, be alone because there was a time when I couldn't.

Love to all

God Bless

Dawn x

jennifer83
07-04-08, 16:21
Hi,

I've suffered with ectopic beats for about 2 years, and only until about a year ago, did I even know they were them. I had ECGs and 24 hour tapes, and because they were so infrequent then, nothing picked them up! They decided it was "just stress" and sent me off with no information, almost as though I made the whole thing up! :ohmy:

After finally being told what they were (I can still remember the doctor who reassured me!), and how they affect many people, and most people don't even notice them, it made me feel a lot better. Recently, though, they have been more frequent, and I've noticed it's very hard to ignore them, or carry on with day-to-day things, as though they aren't there. I'm still being checked out, as my symptoms have worsened, but I find it so hard to relax and calm myself - any ideas from anyone? It doesn't help that I am naturally quite an on-edge kind of person! :scared15:

(Also I hadn't heard about drinking water to lessen the symptoms before, I'll give that a go aswell!)

J.

shaz01
07-04-08, 18:10
Hi Jennifer,

Im in the same situation, recently they are definitly more frequent and I feel as though I spend so much energy thinking about them, I know I have to try and ignore them however I feel they control me, which is not good as thats giving into them. I think we have to try and relax and just learn to live with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaggghhhh.

Shaz x

klmackenzie
10-04-08, 23:54
hi everyone!

Hope everyone is well. Or as well as can be expected.

Its really interesting to get some advice on these palpitations and I had no idea that drinking water would help, so I will try to drink more in the future.

I have had panic attacks for nearly 2 years now. But I started getting ectopic beats/palpitations repeatedly since last August...when my panic attacks started to die down. I think I notice these more now as I am more calm and perhaps concentrationg too much on my body sensations.

I now take beta blockers as I was getting these palpiations everyday. The beats are not pounding, but just missing beats, and I can feel them in my chest. They are the worst sensations of anxiety and I both sympathise and empathise with those that suffer from them.

My palpitations get worse at night, and after I eat chocolate..which i don't do regularly. And also when I am menstruating. Is this normal?

I still worry alot about them as they are something I suffer from everyday and I am STILL convinced I have a heart condition...despite having an ECG and a three day heart monitor attatched to my chest...and numerous doctors listening to my heart sounds...all being normal.

Its so annoying!

Can anyone give me more advice on how to eliminate them further?

Sorry to be a pain!

I'd like to hear how all those that suffer deal with their symptoms also.

xxxxxxxxxxx

kestral
11-04-08, 09:25
woke early this morning and felt my heart beat was wobbly. my pulse was all over the place. its a horrible sensation.

TracyL
16-04-08, 02:25
Hi Guys

I havn't posted for some time. Afew months back I was on here all the time. I was suffering terribly with the ectopic/weird beats. I couldn't stand it. I found this site so fabulous (wish i'd known about it years ago). After having all the tests (again), was told everything was normal :scared15: I couldn't believe it. It took a while for me to accept it and just let things happen without adding the 'what ifs'. Now afew months later I found that they have eased somewhat but i do still have them and sometimes quite badly. I keep just trying to 'embrace them' as my doctor told me to do :whistles: (quite hard but i'm trying).

Take heart guys, you are not alone and it sure does help to know this.

take care everyone and love to you all

Tracy

kirk1690
22-01-09, 22:41
Hi Jennifer,

Im in the same situation, recently they are definitly more frequent and I feel as though I spend so much energy thinking about them, I know I have to try and ignore them however I feel they control me, which is not good as thats giving into them. I think we have to try and relax and just learn to live with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaggghhhh.

Shaz x I am 47 now and suffered for twenty years ,in the early days they were unbearable ,they could last all day every half minute and a doctor telling you their harmless really doesnt help does it ? in my case the drugs I take for arthritis mixed with heavy drinking back then cant have helped , i still get them but not as bad , a good diet no smoking little alcohol and plenty vitamins will help and I have found st johns wort to be of benefit too but as someone once said you have to face your fears , if the beats get worse when you run then dont stop just run faster.:yesyes:

Jinxed_Jex
23-01-09, 07:50
I've had ectopics for about eight years, for years before I was diagnosed with anxiety. I'm so used to them now I worry when I don't have them. lol

Hpoolgirl
17-07-09, 09:02
:welcome: I have just been away for two weeks and whilst away i ended up in hospital and found out i was suffering from ectopic heartbeats and was very scared but have read some of the advice on here and i am definitely going to try and drink lots more water, when I think back to when this was happening I was doing my daily walks on the beach and not drinking enough and with the sun shining down stupidly i can now see I should have drunk lots more, my only excuse is the lack of public toilets. I will definitely try as I turned the dreaded age this year but have now decided this is not going to beat me and get back to being fit and healthy and enjoy life, will keep you informed xx

lbertrand
24-08-09, 15:49
Hello everyone,

Very interesting reading about the ectopic heartbeats as I have had these on and off since I was 40, extremely frightening when they first came on for no reason, but after all the 'usual' tests, ECG, 24 hour tape, I was patted on the head, told not to worry and that it was most likely caused by hormonal changes due to pending menopause (peri-menopause) and was a common sympton in women of my age. The cardiologist was actually most re-assuring and said the more I worried, the worse they would be. This is so true and although I do get the odd bouts now and then, for no apparent reason, I try to ignore them and they do go away.

It is heartening to read the experiences of fellow sufferers as this condition is most disconcerting but I am a fit, healthy 49 year old and have learned to accept and cope with what is not as serious a condition as it first seems when if first occurs.

Good luck and don't worry.:yesyes:

johnbyrum
05-10-09, 22:39
Hello everyone, I registered to write down a few things about me. Even though this is an old thread it can always help people learn about others' opinions and experiences about these kind of things.
I've had anxiety disorder since last summer for about a few months. Before this I was telling people around me that I'm having irregular heartbeats, and they would all say it shouldn't be a problem. One night I had a serious attack and had 120 pulse the whole night. Anyway after they stopped spending months still having them and with my shrink giving me antidepressants I started having ectopic beats again. It's much worse when I'm lying down. I was thinking it is a vital problem until now, but hey it's not. After all it's been months since they started and I'm still here. :) I'm glad to see people like me, I am not alone!
Oh, water surely helps.

redlandcat
25-05-11, 09:53
Hi - I`ve just joined this forum. I have had ectopic beats since I was young - I am now nearly 64 (female). My ectopic beat come and go - I can be a year without them and then they suddenly start up again. My cardiologist assures me that they are harmless. My current difficulty is that I have always been afraid of them and now seem to have little resilience - ie my fear takes over. At the moment they are going on all day every day with some breaks in between for normal heartbeats, so most of the time my heart is beating irregularly and I can`t think of anything else while it`s happening. I have to go overseas next week and am terrified of being away from home. Could someone else tell me if they have ectopics that are this frequent and persistent? To know I`m not alone would help so much. Thanks.

TracyL
26-05-11, 01:53
Hi

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I have had stages whereby I have them constantly. I too have suffered with them for many, many years. I have had numerous tests etc and all came back normal. I was told that virtually everyone has them but some people just don't feel them :scared15: (I can't imagine how you can't though lol).

Take care and know you're not alone.

Have a great time overseas :yesyes: and try not to worry as that only makes them worse.

luv
Tracy

Typer
26-05-11, 12:07
Dawn, thank you for your reassurance

Arcady
03-06-11, 09:26
I used to have lots of ectopic beats, very annoying and scary. But after getting checked out by the doctor and reassured they're nothing to worry about, I decided to try to ignore them. Easier said than done, but I read somewhere that exercise gets rid of them for many people and found that indeed it did for me. When I say exercise, I don't mean going to the gym or anything like that, but just doing something that made my body move around a bit, such as housework or go for a walk. They gradually decreased in frequency and now I seldom have them at all.

I think sometimes these things run in families. My mother also has ectopic beats, she used to feel really faint when they occurred so she had a full investigation at the local hospital, but no reason for them was found. She still gets them and finds them annoying but since she's stopped worrying about having a sudden heart attack she finds them much less scary. BTW, she's 92 and in excellent health, so that proves you can have these beats and still hope to make it into your 90s!

The poster who said acceptance is the key is correct; accept that you have them but also accept your doctor's reassurance that they're harmless. When you stop worrying so much about them, you may well find they decrease in frequency and severity.

Typer
09-06-11, 15:46
Thanks for the info on hydration. I used to drink a lot of water but I have to admit, I do get a bit dehydrated. Thanks to Dizzy for giving us hope