PDA

View Full Version : Aggitation?

Debs78
16-03-08, 06:41
Dear all

I've been taking citalopram for a week and feel it has changed my anxiety was quite bad from anxiety to aggitation. Is this nomral?

I've been given a short course of diazapam 2mg (14) for now to get me over for a week. I was wondering is there a natural alternative to diazapam that can be taken during the day as i find the diazapm help me to get on better while i'm at work and take the edge off the anxity. I'm taking 2 on a morning and sometimes one at night to sleep.

Also do you any of you know how long it takes to become addicted to diazapam as i don't want to fall in to tha trap. This is the first time I've been on anit depressants so am a bit wary.

All help and advice much appreciated.

Debs x x

Jaco45er
16-03-08, 08:02
Hi Debs

I had a right nightmare on SSRI's. Prozac, Citalopram and another SSRI all took my anxiety to an extreme. This included aggitation, lack of sleep, motoring (the inability to sit still).

This did not stop for 5 weeks, and my GP said that this was too long to wait, and decided I ws intolerant to this type of med.

As I understand it (and I am no Dr), SSRI type medication can heighten anxiety in the 1st couple of weeks, can take 6 weeks to fully become active, and if the aggitation/anxiety does not drop off after a few weeks, they may try another med to find one that suits.

It's a little hit and miss with SSRI's, as they seem to affect people differenty, even by brand.

As for diazapam, and again I am no Dr, I beleive they recommend they are not taken for longer than 2 weeks to reduce the addiction risk.

In summary, aggitation and anxiety are common in the first few days of taking meds, but don't wait in agony if it all gets too much (like I did), but do try to give it a couple of weeks.

Best of luck,

Jaco

Coni
16-03-08, 11:37
Hi Debs, I took escitalopram which is similar and I do remember feeling very agitated to beging with, it was almost unbearable but for me it did settle after a few weeks....hopefully your GP should be seeing you regularly anyway to review your treatment so why not discuss it with him next time you see him, or ask for a phone consultation.

I too have diazepam and have the same fears but only take them if I really cant bear it...I sometimes use Kalms, which can be useful but again everyones different and if your agitation is intense you may not find these any good.

Good luck

luv Coni XX

jo61
16-03-08, 11:41
I agree Debs. I've tried several antids over the years and without exception have felt worse in the first couple of weeks or so, agitation being one of the more bothersome symptoms. I would say stick it out for another couple of weeks and if it hasn't settled go back to the doc. Good luck :hugs:

Debs78
16-03-08, 13:09
Thanks for the advice.

I'll give it another week and see how i get on.

Maybe i expected to much to soon :(

Debs x x

Debs78
16-03-08, 13:15
Hi Jaco

What did you use to treat your anxiety? My doctor thinks i'm mild/mod depressed too, that's why he's put me on citalopam.

Debs x