PDA

View Full Version : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective

Meg
13-11-03, 22:22
There has been a lot of posts recently all to do with people 'thinking' negative thoughts about their health and all sorts of irrational things and working themselves into a worse state of anxiety that previously.

Let me try to explain our thought processes.

Take a minute : Is this following statement true ? …..
When your mind is sexually aroused, the body responds in an unmistakable fashion.

This is also true for every other aspect of your thought process...

If you think thoughts that frighten you then you will feel fear
If you think despairing negative thoughts the body will respond by feeling worthless and depressed.

Energy follows thought,
if you think sad, you’ll be sad ,
if you think scary , you feel fear.

The whole reason for watching thrillers late at night is to evoke the suspense feeling = fear. However in that case we know that when the movie ends we’ll go and get ourselves a drink, maybe contemplate and chat about the film for a few minutes and then dismiss it. We tell our mind that – that’s it folks all over and it was just a film and not real so we go from feeling really scared to normal very quickly when we set our mind straight.

We often say to children – it’s only a film it’s not real. Some of us are harder to convince. I would absorb myself into the film and would be hard to stay distanced.

However most of us are perfectly capable of evoking those scary feelings from within. All too easily.

Thinking scary / sad thoughts is simply a habit that we fall into and then spirals in ever decreasing circles.
We all do it , it’s just whether we believe our thoughts or not and most anxious/ depressed people do believe the constant barrage of negativity we feed ourselves.

To change our mood which from anxious or depressed to calm or joyful we need to change our bad thinking habit to be a much more positive habit –a barrage of loving, comforting and uplifting thoughts and messages. Indeed it is highly probable that these thoughts are going to be the more truthful set anyway.

Much of the time we think so quickly we missed the thought - or many people see split second images that shows the end result of a thought. Here’s one most anxious people can relate to ……. I bend down to pick something up and I do it too quickly- on standing up I feel dizzy.
I would put money on the fact that most anxious people out there will automatically think something like – Oh no , I feel dizzy, maybe if this doesn’t go – I’ll faint and how embarrassing that will be in the middle of the office ,or - who will find me fainted on the floor and when will that be – it could be hours till my wife gets home, or I’ve got to drive 100 miles today I can’t do that feeling dizzy, it’s dangerous- what if I drive off the road and so on…this then moves on to real symptoms of anxiety starting and dribbles of adrenaline being released. Some people may just see an image of themselves sprawled out on the floor and that is enough for the sequence of events to kick in.

What was a simple everyday occurrence of standing up a fraction quicker than our ears and blood pressure can adapt leads to a significant anxiety episode. Then those of us who tend towards obsessive thoughts will not be able to get these thoughts out of our head for minutes , hours , days and even when the dizziness has long past we’re still ‘ what if’ing’ about what might have happened given a huge range of hypothetical situations.

When the reality is we should have sat for a minute or two, dismissed it and forgotten all about it and continued with our day .

At the root of many depressed people issues is a low self esteem that may or may not come from realistic origins ie rejection by family, partner etc but then has been reinforced by themselves over and over again until it becomes habit to think completely negatively about yourself and your capabilities.

Most negative things are not true or will never happen anywhere apart from in our thoughts. 95% of our thoughts will never happen

The key to turning th

andy22
14-11-03, 00:08
Meg
I felt as though you were speaking to me, THANK YOU. I needed to hear this and I will read this continually and try to soak it in. I for one tend to create my own movie, instead of letting things go especially when it comes to anxiety. Thanks for the reality check. It's amazing how irrational thinking can effect what's real and what's not. I find my self wondering if my thoughts are rational or irrational as simple as it may seem, I struggle with this constantly, almost like I have a lose connection in the brain.
Thanks again Meg you have made me feel grounded and I have not felt that way in a very long time.
Andy

Laurie28
14-11-03, 08:15
Meg,

My problem with my 'mad' thoughts are I know they are irrational but I seem to argue with myself with 'what if's...' I choose not to look up major diseases etc as I know that i could (in my 'crazy' head)have an illness matched for every twinge!!

It's nice to see such a rational stright forward (and medical) post.

Anyway I have started to read the book 'Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway' to try and stop some negativity (i know there are other things I must do and I'm working on them!!!!)

I am lucky because I do not seem to have depression with the anxiety

Thanks Meg
Love
Lucky

uryjm
14-11-03, 08:33
Great post, Meg, complete common sense explained in a straightforward way. You really have to get hold of your thought process and take command of it. Without going into a big explanation of the relationship between the conscious and unconscious mind, we know that the more you think in a certain way, the easier it is for the subconscious to follow a path with your subconscious functions - breathing, sweating, heartrate etc. It's been there so many times, kicked into panic mode by conscious thoughts, it sails your body into full panic at the flick of a switch. Sometimes I have a completely rationale part of my mind saying "Don't be silly Jim, this is just panic", while I can feel my body revving up the anxiety motor on some other level! It's weird, but so was learning to drive and trying to manipulate clutch, gears accelerator and steering wheel at the same time. At first, it seemed impossible. But I learned how to do it. Now my brain takes care of this without "thinking". Unfortunately, having attended the University of Anxiety, my brain is a graduate in panic mode. It's learned well over the years. It can cruise into an anxiety state in a milli-second. My aim now is to teach it to be better at being calmly rational than it is at being panicky!

Jim

Meg
14-11-03, 15:42
Lucky,

Wow - It's another sign you're getting better then, as you've started to argue with yourself. Well done for ignoring the impulse to keep checking everything out to the last detail. Many people have such a hard time even resisting that for ages.

A really good readable book for these thoughts is
Shad Helmsletter: What to say when you talk to yourself.

Just keeping your night time reading pile stocked up !!

Jim - I totally agree with the concious and subconcious minds . I thought we'd start with this bit first. It's tricky when there are people who are at all stages of their healing journey to know how far to go at once.

It's great to read the intention to re teach the calm rational. I was interested though, on how you give the panic such a respectful, powerful analagy..... You might want to try NLP'ing that and seeing what a change that might bring on its own.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
17-11-03, 12:23
Dear Meg

Do you have any tips on saying stop. I'm doing CBT, and have had a terrible time at the dentist recently. I had to have a filling replaced, and was ill - not eating or sleeping for three days before hand.

I then had to repeat the experience a month later when I lost to top from another filling. This time I was only ill the night before and on the morning of my visit.

Unfortunately (although its a bit of CBT practice), I have to go back this week - hopefully for the final time in a while (my teeth are quite good really!!).

I have discussed the issue with my CBT lady, and we have agreed that it is not a phobia about the dentist, but my fear of "not being in control" that is surfacing it's head and causing these symptoms.

I usually get wound up and my IBS starts, which makes me more fearful!! I then end up in a catch 22 situation.

I try to keep doing my usual things, and use my relaxation tape when I go to bed, but somebody said why don't you just say stop?

I have tried, but I don't seem to be able to "control" my mind that well.

Are there any other ways you can suggest. I think I need a "right you're going to bloo** well stop this now" tape. Is there anything out there that can help me use my mind more to control my body. Please don't say Yoga. I did two years and the only thing it did for me was to enable me to touch my toes again for the first time in ten years.
Which isn't very useful really.

Many thanks

Charlie

Charlie

Karen72
17-11-03, 23:50
Hi Meg
You have some very good down to earth suggestions. I've felt ok as the weeks have gone on. The thoughts aren't consistantly there but I do find a little 'gremlin' at the back of my mind every now & then trying to put a 'downer' on my progress. I think getting back into a routine has helped. I play in a ladies darts team which started a new season a couple of weeks ago so that has helped, seeing my friends - I almost am able to put aside my horrible thoughts & simply 'go with the flow'. I've also made more time for me by saying 'no' to people who expect to take up more of my time than I should realistically give. Again maybe I'm not as stressed because I have got more time to do things that I want to do. My last thing to try & do is give up smoking. So far I've had 4 today & it has gone down every week so I hope soon I'll be saying I don't want to smoke at all thanks. Anyway love to all & hope that you see some 'sunshine' in your lives.
Karen

Laurie28
18-11-03, 14:24
Karen,

Keep it up with the ciggies - your doing well. In the book 'Feel The Fear and Do it Anyway' it has a chapter on your chatterbox which is the little gremlin you are hearing!!

I think everyone has their own chatterbox but anxiety/depression sufferers pay more attention to theirs!!!

Good Luck with the ciggies - that is on my list of things to do but must admit it is near the bottom!!

L

Karen72
19-11-03, 00:44
Hi Lucky
Thanks for you words of support. I did have 5 ciggies today but considering I was in a pub that's not bad going I think(I only had two in the pub in 3 hours). My cousin has given up for the upteenth time but I say fair play, I might just join her with our 'no to smoking' campaign. We can update each other every week.
Can you tell me the author of the book so that I can have a look for it in the bookshop? I'd be interested to read that chapter about the 'gremlin'. I feel ok in myself although things are happening around me that I feel is testing my strength of character but I'm trying to tell myself it's ok, let's face it head on see what happens.
Thanks again
Karen

Laurie28
24-11-03, 10:09
Hiya Karen,

It's Susan Jeffers. Bear with the book cause at first I thought 'what a load of tripe' and it is a bit OTT but when you get into it, it is actually very good. Keep going with the cigs Karen

Love
Lucky

Meg
24-11-03, 15:49
Karen,

You can get it as an audio tape if that would make it any easier to get through.

I agree with Lucky - It's very padded but the ethos is a good and valid one.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

mico
20-05-04, 17:55
Hi people

I was looking through some old posts and came across this one, which I thought was pretty good, goes into some sensible stuff but explains it in a simple way....So I thought I'd resurect it for those of you who never read it the first time round or for anyone who wants to read it again. Personally I found a lot of the stuff written here to be very true, just thought it was worthy reading.

mico

Meg
20-05-04, 18:07
Thanks Mico.

It's just cut and pasted out of my Chapter 3 of my Managing Anxiety course.

I'm now writing chapter 6 of the 11 planned chapters.
I'm getting there slowly.

Meg

mico
20-05-04, 18:33
Hi Meg

Are you writing a book? You were on doing a CD a while ago wern't you? Or is it all intended to go into one package? Anyway, good luck with whatever it is your doing.

Obviously if your only onto chapter six out of eleven then it's going to take a while yet, but do you have any dates planned for release?

sal
20-05-04, 19:10
Meg

Thats was a really brilliant post, reminds you that you can get your life into perspective. You have had some great replies to. I just needed to read something like that, really helped me because i do struggle with the irrational horrible thoughts, then that leads to obviously more anxiety until i think i have totally lost it.

Thanks hon

Sal xxxx

Meg
20-05-04, 22:25
Hi Mico,

I'm doing an 8 CD set ..Sigh .

Hard work but so needed out there.

It's in depth course and guidance for those who need a bit extra help getting through all this.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

jollywalrus
21-05-04, 08:55
Hi Meg,
What you have written is absolutley true. I know I am paralysed by my own thoughts. Two years ago I had pneumonia and although the consultant told me off for not taking it all seriously enough, it never once occured to me that I wouldn't recover. In January of this year I had it again. I was already feeling panic, wobbly before I got ill, and this time they had to send me home with oxygen and medicine, because I was too anxious to sit in the hospital with an oxygen mask on. I thought I was going to die this time.

I am DESPERATELY trying to change my thoughts, and I figure if I only manage to do it for parts of the day, gradually it should turn into longer.

I just want to be better. I honestly feel I'm wasting my life. When I am 70, am I going to look back and regret my wasted years, all the things I couldn't do with the kids and will I ever set foot in a shop again?

I know I sound miserable, but I am trying very hard, I just need patience.
Thank you for your support - I get none at home.
Christine

pips
21-05-04, 10:20
Thanks Meg,

That was a great read! Its so true for me.

I have constant thoughts and am so aware of how I am feeling. For instance I often wake up & my heart is racing. Now that's enough to set my anxiety and thoughts off for the day. My mind just starts whirling.

I also suffer with bloating & IBS and these past few days I have been exstremely bloated. My hubby thinks I bloat out more when I am stressed or anxious! Could this be true? But me being me I turn it into something else. I wind myself up & end up in a worst state! Like you say!

The things I find most difficult are. Beliving Positive thoughts. I do practice them but they can change it to a negative so quickly!.

I do cope with most things in my day to day life i.e work days out etc... It's just I have to focus more on the coping everyday. Where as before this all started 2 years ago I got a little nervy but thought nothing more of it.

I suppose the question I am asking. Is even if anxiety panic is on my mind pretty much constantly and I do have to cope more & put in much more effort then before it all started. Does this mean I am not recovering because I have irrational thoughts?

I do find I get the odd buzz of Positive energy but it dissapears all to quickly. How do I keep in those Positive thoughts?

I'm so sorry for waffaling and asking you all these questions. I always read your posts and find them most useful. I have just been feeling insecure latley and needing reasurance.

I hope you are well.

Thanks again.

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

Meg
21-05-04, 16:12
Dear Christine and Pips,

Christine - correct -it starts with small things that you learn to keep rational about. I do believe in positive thoughts but think that rational or factual thoughts are more believeable in the early days of panic . I was better at conning myself with those than fluufy positive thoughts.
Later on you can really learn to con yourself ....

Pip- Your husband is totally correct. IBS do bloat when stressed. So thats that one !?!

Everyone on this earth has irrational thoughts.
The difference is that we are startled/frightened/worried by the thoughts and the folowing symptoms, we keep hold of them, analyse them to death and all this gives them more energy and then add in an imagination and before you know it there is a complete disaster movie written with several endings ...
Non anx people just let those thoughts come and go in a flash and simply move onto to something else.

So irrational thoughts are not a sign of maintaining panic but keeping those thoughts alive and growing is our call sign !..

Does that help ?

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

jollywalrus
21-05-04, 16:21
Hi Meg,
What I want to ask though is what happens if you stand your ground during a panic attack? When I have panics I always move myself to a place where I feel safe (those thoughts again) and I have never been brave enough to stand my ground. Today I went to a place where I know I will panic, a short pathway which for some reason really upsets me, and I walked along thinking positive thoughts. I wasn't positive enough though because panic came and I ran on to the end of the path. The panic subsided and I went on my way.

So does panic subside if you brave it, or just keep getting worse? I'm just thinking if I know it goes, maybe I would stop running away.
Just a thought.
Christine

Meg
21-05-04, 16:45
You are your own safe person wherever you happen to be . It's just your thoughts and beliefs that you've trained to warn you about this path.

My recommendation is to go and stand on this path and agree with yourself that you will stay there for the count of 30 seconds. If you are ok then , then agree with yourself to stay another 60 seconds or a silent verse of a song dear to you.

etcetcetc

Nothing will happen to you and the panic will subside - don't feed it.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
21-05-04, 22:06
thanks meg! that was really interesting post on thought process, love april

apriltones

pips
22-05-04, 12:27
Thanks so much Meg for your advice.

Yes it really does help and it does make sense!

Take care

Thanks again

Love Pip's XX

pips
22-05-04, 12:29
P.S Good luck with the CD set and work book!

Good stuff Meg. : 0 )

Love PIP'S XX

stimpy
24-05-04, 09:45
I have to admit, that was spot on.

Last week I was suffering with an upset stomach, this turned to irritable bowel and indigestion and general gastric upsetness and mixed with the warm weather - I felt terrible.
Within 2 days I was back on my sofa, reliving all the trauma of last summer when I became a sofa loving panic monster vegetable.

Under normal circumstances you would think, oh I must have eaten something that didn't like me.
But mix that with panic, and it becomes some life threatening illness, which breads fear, which over takes your common sense.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Jules31
24-05-04, 14:15
Meg

Thanks for your post. It is a message that needs to be kept drilling into me. My problem is I often don't recognise the thoughts that I am having and so that makes it extra hard to stop the cycle of anxiety. I am getting there though. I'm starting to realise that I might feel awful all of the time because I'm constantly having bad thoughts and not letting my body have the chance to recover. I've had quite a few good days since Friday, which is a nice change, the symptoms haven't been quite as bad and I've been able to deal with them better. Even when on Saturday night I got a sudden immense pressure feeling and burning in my head, I got through things. I realised I started to panic immediately thinking something terrible was happening in my brain and in seconds I started to hyperventiliate. Luckily I realised what I was doing and stopped the shallow breathing right there before it could escalate. My head felt crappy for a couple of hours but I got through it. Then I read through my journals and realised this was just how I was feeling in Feb, when I was at my wits end. Guess what I thought I'm still here. Amazing how I could have forgotten those feelings so quickly.

So thanks for the reminder of how powerful the mind can be.

Good luck with the workbook and CD's. You will definitely be filling a very large void that exists at the moment

Jules

Meg
24-05-04, 14:26
Jules - Hurrah - banners and drums - do we have a breakthrough ????

That is why I was questioning you when you said previously you were 'scared' when you found you'd put on weight - sorry if I was hard on you .

I think you currently automatically apply 'scared and frightened' to nearly everything that happens concerning your body at present and your mind responds appropriately to that instruction leading you to the full blown sympathetic nervous system immediate response squad .

You need to stop and decide each time what response is appropriate with this sudden feeling.
If you have had it previously it probably does not warrant a fear response - maybe an onbservational response or a dismissal instruction.

So glad you've had a better few days hon.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Meg
24-05-04, 14:30
Liz,

I was starting to wonder what was up as you'd been quiet ..

Sorry you'd not been well - hope you're more bouncy again now.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Jules31
24-05-04, 14:38
Hope it is a breakthough, funny you should use that word, maybe you should see my other post!

I wondered why you questioned me about the weight thing. I had never thought that that might be what I was doing. Of course if I'm honest I was worrying one, that I wasn't in control of my body and secondly it might be because something medical was causing it. Not of course that my meds could be to blame and I have been eating what I want for a while. And by the way you weren't too hard on me, it was wholeheartedly what I needed.

Guess I just have to start realising that I have had many of these feelings before and got through them. It's just that at the time, I can't usually be rational and of course don't remember that I've had the feeling before. I always seem to think that I feel different or it's worse - glad I had the journal to kick me up the backside. (It's served a purpose for the first time rather than making me so depressed that I seem to have felt endlessly dreadful). Then if it genuinely is different then I start to get worried. So then I will just have to start consider the symptom shifting theory. I haven't been back to the dr now for I guess a couple of months, which is a major achievement for me. I just keep telling myself it's all anxiety. Of course on the irrational days I then just think but what if this time it is something. Oh well, I guess progress is progress.

Am a bit scared that this will be another false start as have so many of them but I'm willing to believe that it's not.

Jules

Meg
24-05-04, 14:46
The journey is a rocky one.

Do not even let yourself believe that it's all going to be ok from now, or you'll just be setting yourself up for disappointment

Aim for good days -a bit pat on the back -then a few more good ones and so forth.

Should you have a blip - recognise it for being just that -- a blip .

Glad to hear about the lack of doctors appointments too.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Jules31
24-05-04, 15:40
thanks Meg, I know it's a rocky trip and I can cope with setbacks, if that's all they are. It's before when I have felt even worse than I ever have and have had no signs of feeling better that I have got disheartened.

Jules

bluebottle
03-02-05, 08:30
Meg, you said;

"Wow - It's another sign you're getting better then, as you've started to argue with yourself".

Is this really true, its just that I'm always saying to myself "stop it now, its just anxiety, or stop that horrible thought, it is rubbish and you know it etc...

I am really trying to be positive and knowing that arguing with yourself is a sign of getting better, well, it would be a lift for me.

Oh, and yesterday, I went for a walk and got "jelly legs". Even so, I didn't turn back, I continued and guess what, the jelly legs went!

Meg
03-02-05, 15:09
Hi Bluebottle,

When very acutely anxious or depressed it's all too easy to simply believe and live by the negative thoughts running through our heads every moment eg thoughts of irrational fear thus leading to avoidance or thoughts of dispair thus leading to hiding under the duvet...

When you start to argue with yourself and presenting yourself with an alternative dialogue you then a have an exit route off your roundabout of spiralling thoughts.

You could start by expanding on your *it is rubbish and you know it* by explaining to yourself why its rubbish and debating out the rationality and facts of the point in question.

The dialogue you're on currently is a bit like a discussion with a teenager - "because I said so " or "dunno" or " don't want to ". It doesn't actually open up the point for discussion so its harder to present an alternative view point or influence any learned beliefs or opinions.

Well done for the walk and for the disappearance of jelly legs ! Brilliant - quick progress.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
03-02-05, 19:07
Blue

Well done on the walk and the fact that you stuck at it. Bet it felt good yeah?

Nicola

bluebottle
04-02-05, 08:43
It did feel good, and I also went twice again that day. :D

I'm going to order my Trek 7100 FX tomorrow. That will also get me out more, and further afield rather than just around my local area. (Although that is still good. [Yes!])

I'm putting 100% into my fightback, I'm just impatient.

cathy s
22-04-06, 19:06
Meg
I thought what you wrote was spot on.
But I spoke to a CBT man recently who told me I had an issue with control, that I shouldn't try to control my thoughts because you just can't . How does this help then, when I'm ruminating or obsessing about how I feel ( am I depressed, anxious ect ect!)
Actually I think I just worked it out - distraction, and don't give any importance to the thoughts. But what if the thought keeps comming back, just pops in my head several times a day (or more!). How do you stop that happening? Do I not try to stop it, just keep paying no attention till eventually it'll stop comming? thats gonna be hard, still, so is getting over all these things eh!!
Thanks for reading my rambling! I find writing things helps me work through them.
I'm still reading through the other topics, so appologies for repeating something.
Cat

june
22-10-07, 13:42
Just looking thro posts looking for advice/ helpful ideas on dealing with panic / anxiety and came accross this !!!!!!!!
Meg it has been a briliant read - I have copied some of your info for reading later (sorry if I should have asked first).
Have you finished your CD?
Thank you for this staight talking information.
June

bluesparkle
22-10-07, 23:08
hi meg
that was really helpful... been struggling a bit lately and that was good to read
rach

jesterx
23-10-07, 02:51
we all go through these few things....and its obvious we all have our good days and those damn really bad ones.

but you must realise that this is a small step forward in the right direction. slow and steady wins the race i think. good luck.

jill
16-03-08, 22:34
Hi All,:D

There were many threads on here that helped me, this was just one of them, I thought I would refresh it, its an old one by meg, but great reading

LOVE JILLXX

Paddington
17-03-08, 11:31
Thanks for bringing back these wonderful posts Jill:hugs: It is a timely reminder for all of us who may be struggling ,how to get back on track:flowers: Thanks Meg too for the original post:hugs: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah D
16-08-08, 21:32
Hi Meg,
I found your message very helpful.
I showed it to my husband who is the most unanxious person I have ever met but may now have a better idea of how I feel.

Sarah

Sarah D
16-08-08, 22:01
Meg,
You speak so much sense!
I have things I would love to ask you about my health anxieties!
I have worried about my health for years, especially since becoming a parent.
I have been a parent now for 15 years, I also worry about the health of my four children. the only way I stop worrying about a particular illness is when I start worrying about a new one! i only worry about life threatening illnesses.
My doctor is very understanding. i do not go for lots of tests, although I would if my doctor wanted me too. I know that if i went just to seek reassurance that it would be short lived, either the results would be wrong or I would just think of something else!
The stupid thing is that if someone told me their symptoms I think I would see them quite rationally but the same symptoms on me would be a totally different matter!
I currently have a strange taste in my mouth that when I am feeling rational is either a) because I appear to have broken a tooth that has a filling in it
b) I often suffer from sinusitis
c) is caused by the large amount of stress I have had over the last month or so or
d) is a known side effect of the heart burn medeicine I have been taking.
However I have convinced myself in darker moments (it has only been 23 hours that I have noticed the taste!) that it is related to possible liver cancer (I have googled this and bad taste not a symptom) that obviously is an uncurable secondry cancer, I sometimes get twinges where my ovaries are so probably started there! And now I am wallowing in a said scene where I have to say good bye to my precious children in my late thirties!
I know I should be enjoying my childrens young years and very much wish i could!
I come from a long line of worriers, my dad was an alcoholic which seemed to get him through these years, 20-50 but seems quite happy now he has hit old age and the worst hasn't happened!
I wish I had read this site years ago over the years these have been some of my worries,
twitches = motor neurone disease
headaches = brain tumour
head rush = brain tumours
piles = bowel cancer
heartburn = stomach cancer
mild leg pain = bone cancer
bumps on head = brain tumour
any lower abdominal twinges = ovarian/ cervical cancer
any swollen gland = lymph cancer
cold sores = blood cancer
any bruise = blood cancer

i could go on and on! Not a happy way to live!

Is there a solution to all this. I take a mild anti depressant at night time because I have spent the last three years waking up in the night terrified that I have forgotten something/or forgotten to feed a pet! I often sleep walk trying to find the forgotten pet! (I do have alot of pets, non of which are ever unfed or forgotten about!)

I have found it hugely helpful reading other peoples experiences so hope someone may find mine useful!
Any answers or suggestions gratefully received!

I work and carry on life as normal, only my husband, mother and doctor would know how I feel!

sarah

Polar Bear
05-03-09, 12:16
Hi All

Yes wanted to agree about the important of positive thinking and really changing the thought processes. Can relate to the negative spiral of thinking and what if scenario's making me down to the dreaded outcomes which never come to pass. I've been anxious for a good number of years but found it manageable (I thought). Around Christmas time I started getting the globus thing in my throat which frightened the life out of me. Am now on Citalopram which is helping (after 15 days - 20mg for last 5 days alsthough some blips feeling more anxious and getting more not too bad side effects). Need though to get some counselling I think and certainly get may thoughts into perspective about life and the modern world (driving in this day and age with more aggression makes me anxious or extremely angry niether of which has good good for me!). Agrre with you Jerome that reading others posts is comforting. We aren't alone.I check the lights and electric sockets a few times before going out or to bed. Always asking my wife did we turn the iron off etc. The tablets are helping to lift me already (hope it continues) and want to use this time when I'm not getting so het up to start to change my thinking!

Regards to All

Mike

Carley
23-12-09, 07:27
Dear Meg

Do you have any tips on saying stop. I'm doing CBT, and have had a terrible time at the dentist recently. I had to have a filling replaced, and was ill - not eating or sleeping for three days before hand.

I then had to repeat the experience a month later when I lost to top from another filling. This time I was only ill the night before and on the morning of my visit.

Unfortunately (although its a bit of CBT practice), I have to go back this week - hopefully for the final time in a while (my teeth are quite good really!!).

I have discussed the issue with my CBT lady, and we have agreed that it is not a phobia about the dentist, but my fear of "not being in control" that is surfacing it's head and causing these symptoms.

I usually get wound up and my IBS starts, which makes me more fearful!! I then end up in a catch 22 situation.

I try to keep doing my usual things, and use my relaxation tape when I go to bed, but somebody said why don't you just say stop?

I have tried, but I don't seem to be able to "control" my mind that well.

Are there any other ways you can suggest. I think I need a "right you're going to bloo** well stop this now" tape. Is there anything out there that can help me use my mind more to control my body. Please don't say Yoga. I did two years and the only thing it did for me was to enable me to touch my toes again for the first time in ten years.
Which isn't very useful really.

Many thanks

Charlie

Charlie
Dear Charlie,

I had a panic attack at the dentist also, it was awful. When I needed more aneasthetic my dentist asked for one without adrenaline. I asked her about this and she explained the first had adrenaline in it. My body automatically went into panic attack mode because of that. To any sufferer out there always ask before they inject you. I hope this helps. Your not set back, it was a bodily reaction.

Carley.

LilyPad1991
03-02-12, 12:15
What an absolutely fantastic post!

Carys
03-02-12, 12:42
Aint this thread great, thanks for bringing it back Lilypad ! Its from years ago, but still so relevant. I don't see anyone called Meg here at the moment, wonder if she still comes to NMP ? Would be nice for her to know how positively her words affect people. It has special relevance to me today as I am 'sweating out' my last hour for a long dental visit. :ohmy:

sallad
04-04-13, 05:58
My problem is perspective. Sometimes I do get sick and that is the issue. I feel really nauseated. Sometimes I do get the flu and I hate it and worry the whole time. I can't tell myself, 'you may not get the flu', it does happen.
Last weekend a tooth fell out, I worried about it happening and it did. Bad stuff does happen...how to not obsess about it??