PDA

View Full Version : Twitching muscles

flatterycat
17-03-08, 12:59
Please can someone help me.

I am a long time sufferer of anxiety and for the most part cope fairly well. However over the last few weeks I have developed new symptoms and thanks to googling(I know!) am now terrified I have Motor Nuerone Disease.

Basically it started with muscle twitching in my thigh. It feels like bubbling under the skin, or like when your eye twitches - a sort of fluttering. Anyway since then I have felt them in my arm, calf, thighs, back and stomach and am really getting scared.

I have told three docs at my surgery and they haven't even wanted to examine me. Simply said it's nothing to worry about. Well I'm sure they are getting worse. When I sit down my leg is vibrating almost and the twitches are even more noticable! When I googled the symptoms I discovered that weakness and twitching is a sign and now I remember dropping things!

Can anyone relate. I know everyone gets twitches in their eye now and then, but to have them all over like this is really upsetting me and I'm worried the docs are dismissing me cause they know I suffer anxiety.

Sorry to ramble

Love Sarah

Emira7
17-03-08, 13:11
Hey there

I quite often get twitchy muscles, all over as well. The top of my arm, my legs, my lip.

I think it is anxiety based. Not sure why it happens. I think I tense my muscles up alot so maybe its something to do with that.

Just wanted you to know that I get it as well, and I also googled and thought I had Motor Neurone Disease at one point also!
Hugs
Emira
x

Janieb
17-03-08, 13:25
Hi Sarah,

Yes I get the same, last night during a bad panic attack I noticed all sorts of twitching everywhere!! At one stage my leg would feel as though it was vibrating like a phone every 5 seconds.

I get odd twitches in my arms, legs, back, face...you name it. I believe that MND shows other sympoms but it you even put in something simple as a headache in google it's going to show you something dramatic, think I to convinced myself I had it at one stage, funny enough it doesn't cross my mind as much but then I am onto worrying about other things so think it's just a phase for me.

try to get a relaxation CD and use it to take some time out at night.

Hope it goes away soon!

fairyloveheart
17-03-08, 13:36
I get them too. Normally when I'm at rest, sitting down for ages or legs up on the sofa, then I get funny twitchy feelings - sometimes i can't pinpoint exactly where, just my leg, or thigh. I always look and can't see any physical twitching so it must be inside?? It's normally a flutter that repeats about 6 times....

Goodlife
17-03-08, 15:21
Yes me too. I get twitching especially in my calves. I notice it more when I'm resting and not so much when I'm busy doing something. That doesn't really make sense though as isn't anxiety suppose to recede when you're relaxing ?
Anyway, take comfort in the fact that you're not alone.

flatterycat
18-03-08, 08:23
Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me.

I suppose I just got myself in a tizwaz again. I just don't understand how you can develop these symptoms out of the blue unless there is something seriously wrong? Last night and whilst at work it was mainly in my thigh, but I also noticed the fluttering below my rib area!

Anyway, thanks again

Love Sarah x

Seanydee
14-08-12, 02:02
I've been suffering from health anxiety for a year now and I've just developed the thigh twitching it's so scary I hate health anxiety it is truly the devil x

lindajane1971
14-08-12, 22:51
This started with me on the 1st of May this year! There are a few topics on here that i started because this worried me so very much.

It started in my left elbow area, then moved to my left upper arm
Then to my right arm, calves and stomach area.
It would start twitching away every few minutes up to an hour at a time. It would stop if i slapped it (lol) or rubbed it or tensed the muscle up and then relaxed it, only for it to start again a few minutes later.
I also have the dreaded inner trembling, its at its worst when i wake in the morning, its so strong inside but you cant see it on the outside.

I panicked so much when i seen the awful things on google!! Went to the doctor and she said it was ok, and like i was told on here........if its some bad thing then the muscle twitching would be so far down the line you would be very ill indeed by the time that started and it would not be happening in different places or stopping and starting!

Logically i understand that my anxiety causes my adrenal glands to pump out adrenaline when its not needed, (including when im asleep) and this over production of chemicals need an outlet to escape and it uses the twitching and trembling sometimes as one of those outlets (which i cant control)
I also notice that i am "tensed" a lot, almost like im clenching my whole body and this can put a stress on the muscles and they can twitch or tremble to try to get rid of the tenseness.

4 months later and I still have the twitching!! It can be gone for a week and then suddenly it will appear from nowhere and go on for hours/days at a time again.
I am now learning to live with it, its not easy but its not the worst anxiety symptom i have so when it happens i give it a rub and quickly do something to take my mind off it, and try to remind myself that its my body doing its job and that i will be just fine.

:flowers:

nervousmummytobe
15-08-12, 10:32
I too get muscle twitching!!!! funny thing is when i get a new symptom the twitching dissappears... or decreases as Im spending all of my time worrying about the new symptom!!! I never really understood the whole ' the more you think about it the more it happens ' logic but my own body kind of prooved it!!! I bet the minute a new anziety symptom crops up the twitching will decrease!! it seems whenever my body is fine with a symptom a new one develops to scare me again!
my doctor told me that an anxiety sufferer subconsiously thrives on anxiety and the minute you feel okay your body will produce another scary symptom!
good luck xxxxxx

Seanydee
31-01-13, 23:35
Mummytobe pmsl your exactly like me,once I'm ok with a symptom I get a new one and I'm so glad you've mentioned it because I thought I was alone on that one,thinking about it now has given me an idea like for the past couple of days I've been having chest pains so what I'm going to do is tomorrow when I get my chest pains I'm going to try and fabricate a new symptom and see if my chest pain goes,wish me luck and ill keep u posted,thanks x

TotallyBonkers
31-01-13, 23:42
For everyone who suffers this, can I ask do you sleep particularly well? Reason being that tiredness and anxiety itself can trigger these muscle spasms, causing twitches, jerking and alien hand syndrom, the fact the doctor is not concerned I would try to take them at their word and do some relaxation techniques to see if that helps at all.

Gogspurs
01-02-13, 11:19
I have been feeling these vibrations in the back of my neck, left arm, left leg and left side of my abdomen.. not sure why it is only affecting the left side! Is this the same for others? I even get a slight tremor in my left eye vision when its dark and I am looking at my phone.

The beta blockers I am on do not seem to stop it and I am worried about a brain tumour or MS. I have an MRI this afternoon so fingers crossed.

Funnily enough my heart anxiety is easing which was my initial anxiety but the tests have put that to rest even though I do still wake up at 4/5am with my heart pumping!

xtremx
01-02-13, 13:47
Please can someone help me.

I am a long time sufferer of anxiety and for the most part cope fairly well. However over the last few weeks I have developed new symptoms and thanks to googling(I know!) am now terrified I have Motor Nuerone Disease.

Basically it started with muscle twitching in my thigh. It feels like bubbling under the skin, or like when your eye twitches - a sort of fluttering. Anyway since then I have felt them in my arm, calf, thighs, back and stomach and am really getting scared.

I have told three docs at my surgery and they haven't even wanted to examine me. Simply said it's nothing to worry about. Well I'm sure they are getting worse. When I sit down my leg is vibrating almost and the twitches are even more noticable! When I googled the symptoms I discovered that weakness and twitching is a sign and now I remember dropping things!

Can anyone relate. I know everyone gets twitches in their eye now and then, but to have them all over like this is really upsetting me and I'm worried the docs are dismissing me cause they know I suffer anxiety.

Sorry to ramble

Love Sarah

I relate to everything you have said at this moment in time I have just sat down from having a short walk and my legs are nearly moving of the sofa because my calf muscles are twitching/spasming so much.

But I have been like this for 2 years now and nothing bad has happened no mnd/als, It was a fear for me for about 6 months but I have learnt alot about mnd and how it presents and muscle twitch is in the very late stages of mnd when the muscle is nearly dead and long before that you would other symptoms that would have effect you.

If you ever need to chat fire away and I will try to help if I can.
I have spoke to many a person who suffers from mnd/als and they have help me move away from fears of having this.

Rest assured that this is just anxiety finding and out let Check out a site called aboutbfs.com

skippy66
01-02-13, 14:27
If you were told today that yes you do have motor neurone disease, how would you live the rest of your life?

shelldavis
01-02-13, 20:46
I get twitchy legs when I'm really tired and anxious, I can't stop it just have to ride it out..I've suffered with anxiety for years but the leg twitching only started around 18 months ago after I had my first child, had a pretty stressful time in the hospital, didn't sleep a wink and the first night home it happened...Doctors don't seemed concerned by it, they just told me to add it to my list of anxiety related twinges :shrug:

skoosh1
01-03-13, 10:50
I'm really worried about this at the moment. For the past couple of days my legs have felt really heavy and numb and when relaxing its the weirdest feeling. Woke early this morning and thought my legs were dead. Now I've been out for a walk and my calfs are twitching like mad. I'm not sleeping well and this is my third day off 2mg valium so don't know if that has something to do with it. Does this pass as its putting my anxiety through the roof! Help! Now I'm thinking I have MS or something:weep:

flatterycat
01-03-13, 12:45
I was the original poster.
I still get muscle twitches, but it doesn't bother me at all now.
I've moved on to other fears now:ohmy:

I always get them worse when tired or stressed.

S x

Josh1234
30-03-17, 03:02
^delete that BS

nivekc251
30-03-17, 03:21
Yea wtf....

pablo0977
30-03-17, 03:30
While I don't personally subscribe to it, he is referencing Ayurveda which many hundreds of millions of people swear by. We should not be so quick to judge, though I personally do not believe in jinn.

nivekc251
30-03-17, 07:11
It's just very suspicious I'm not dismissing ones religion, but why reopen a dead thread with it, and make it your first post? Hopefully this individual has good intentions and stays and became a wonderful, and helpful member. I apologize if I offended anyone.

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-17, 18:07
It's just very suspicious I'm not dismissing ones religion, but why reopen a dead thread with it, and make it your first post? Hopefully this individual has good intentions and stays and became a wonderful, and helpful member. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Yes, it is highly suspicious and usually includes an advertising link in the cases I see (and report to Admin).

I'm quite concerned about requests on PM about someone claiming vulnerable anxiety sufferers, and missing many a well known explained symptom, being a djinn or any other demon.

And I certainly would dismiss any religion stating it just as I do for those out their that claim OCD means you are possessed.

And what about the handing over of money?

Reported.

Mojouk
30-03-17, 23:35
What handing over of money? Ridiculous ...people have such a narrow world view. When i spoke about fluttering under the skin and it potentially being related to jinn or flutter bugs or whatever youd like to call them so as not to overwhelm yourself...i was speaking from of very personal experiences. When youve seeen hands moving beneath a friends skin during ruqya (thats the process of attempting to remove "flutter bugs" from people in some religions) then you wouldnt be as cynical. I stated at the beginning of my post that i was cynical when i first attended also. And before taking a friend i had the same issues with anxiety and fluttering under the skin and i began studying this issue more closely and discovered a heap of people complaining of both the fluttering and anxiety in the chest. So as i stated at the beginning of my post its a contribution and all respectful contributions should be considered whether or not that contribution corresponds to your personal belief. Thats the basis of free society. But instead you sensor what i had to say which is a terrible shame because although it may not help you it may help someone out there. And no actually no money is changing hands and so evidence that if anyone has questions about my experience they can just respond to this thread if private messages are considered " suspicious". Ignorance really is offensive. Human senses are a pathetic measure of what we should and shouldnt believe in that we're practically deaf and blind when compared to other animals senses and what we know about the universe using equipment to detect whats actually out there. Please grow a brain. Our senses are extremly limited theres things we dont yet understand and knowledge progresses by allowing all sorts of contributions not just those that correspond to your reality of the world.

pablo0977
30-03-17, 23:42
What handing over of money? Ridiculous ...people have such a narrow world view. When i spoke about fluttering under the skin and it potentially being related to jinn or flutter bugs or whatever youd like to call them so as not to overwhelm yourself...i was speaking from of very personal experiences. When youve seeen hands moving beneath a friends skin during ruqya (thats the process of attempting to remove "flutter bugs" from people in some religions) then you wouldnt be as cynical. I stated at the beginning of my post that i was cynical when i first attended also. And before taking a friend i had the same issues with anxiety and fluttering under the skin and i began studying this issue more closely and discovered a heap of people complaining of both the fluttering and anxiety in the chest. So as i stated at the beginning of my post its a contribution and all respectful contributions should be considered whether or not that contribution corresponds to your personal belief. Thats the basis of free society. But instead you sensor what i had to say which is a terrible shame because although it may not help you it may help someone out there. And no actually no money is changing hands and so evidence that if anyone has questions about my experience they can just respond to this thread if private messages are considered " suspicious". Ignorance really is offensive. Human senses are a pathetic measure of what we should and shouldnt believe in that we're practically deaf and blind when compared to other animals senses and what we know about the universe using equipment to detect whats actually out there. Please grow a brain. Our senses are extremly limited theres things we dont yet understand and knowledge progresses by allowing all sorts of contributions not just those that correspond to your reality of the world.

It's important to note that Ayurveda is not a religion, but a form of medicine that dates back thousands of years and actually informed the beginnings of Western Medicine in ancient Greece. Now that said, many practitioners have braided Ayurveda with Western Medicine and refrained from using such literal interpretations of Jiin, for example.

Ayurveda is no more faith healing than homeopathy or Chinese medicine are. That said, I understand why some people here were a little put off by the way you presented this--as if you were certain that is what this person whom you have never met was suffering from. It is one thing to suggest someone consider an alternative, but quite another to be so emphatic about it.

Mojouk
31-03-17, 00:00
Im not referring to Ayurveda pablo. Im talking about a thing called ruqya. And no i stated that not all cases of fluttering coupled with anxiety will be "flutter bugs" (or jinn for the more open minded). But in my experience which include myself and a number of others ...all of us had both these symptoms ...anxiety in the chest and fluttering under the skin. We all responded to ruqya in a way none of us expected. We were all cynical to begin with. And so when you discover a heap of people suffering from the same 2 sympoms and it reallly is suffering and you are aware of a way to help change it. Then its difficult to be quiet about it even if people think youre nuts. So im standing my ground on this issue and will say it again. If someone wants to explore this potential root to alleviate their condition then id be glad to assist with queries by respnding to the thread. Its not a blooody advert. Its human beings trying to help one another. A concept thats evidently alien to some.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-17, 05:34

So, someone is doing this treatment for free then?

We get spammers on here promising cures asking for contact. Have you thought that trying to convince people a treatment to remove a "demon" from inside them might be a little bit bizarre when you are a new member?

My experience of these spammers is that they couldn't care less about the vulnerable who desperately want to feel better.

At this point, I have no idea who you are and your reaction just feeds further into what I've seen before on here. Don't you think our Admin would be failing to protect vulnerable members by doing nothing? We don't know you at all at this point, asking vulnerable people to talk to you outside of a forum we can all see is suspicious to me in a new member as the seller do it.

And when we have do many twitching threads currently live, it's strange they were all missed in favour of bumping a thread years old. Sellers do this.

You may be perfectly innocent but you have to accept that if sellers are doing the same, you are going to be viewed with some suspicion until people better know you. And talking about demons hardly put you in a credible light straight away. You obviously can understand that since you tried to give an alternative name.

I'm open to alternative treatments but I'm also wary that there people out there making dubious claims in mental health. Like the more religious claiming OCD means possession, which is damaging.

I've had this symptom you mention for about 10 years now. It's actually mentioned as a main symptom in GAD by WHO. Through recovery work I've seen it become more a background issue. It's something that goes when I move around. On that basis, I find it very hard to believe I have a demon involved.

I can understand how an alternative treatment can help, and there are mental health gurus who have people who are happy their non proven methods worked, and if you had come at this without the djinn stuff, you wouldn't have be a red flag to me.

Mojouk
31-03-17, 09:35
Some will do it for free others will charge you for their time which is i take your point ...fair enough. I'd advise anyone who does believe there are entities beyond what our eyes can detect and wants to consider or explore this as a form of treatment ..maybe even as a "last resort or long shot" then to go to either their priest or imam and ask them to direct you to someone reputable (they will know as the concept of jinn is not only an islamic one its also in the books of jews and christians and theyll all be able to direct you to practitioners in their removal). As i say some will do it for free and others will charge for their time which is fair enough. One word of warning though do not use anyone who you havent been directed to by your church or mosque or synagogue as some street psychics practice the dark arts and the last thing you want is to make the situation worse. I went in cynical too but having seen what id seen ive had no choice but to accept the worlds more complicated than we appreciate.

pablo0977
31-03-17, 10:55
Jinn was originally an Ayurvedic concept so I guess I assumed you were a fringe Ayurvedic practitioner.

Josh1234
31-03-17, 15:04
Do you even science, bro?