PDA

View Full Version : Throat

rickloader
18-03-08, 08:00
Hi just a quick one does anyone know if anxiety causes sore throat when swollowing?

Horse
18-03-08, 11:15
Hi Rick.

In answer to your question, I would say yes it can!

I never used to think this until recently. As you probably know, the throat can take a bit of a knock when it comes to anxiety symptoms such as feeling of a lump (globus hystericus) and a feeling of tightness caused by muscle tension etc. I started to suffer from cold symptoms about 6 months ago.....the usual stuffy feeling in the morning and fuzzy head and every now and again I would get a sore throat. Of course, we have to take into account the usual fact that there is always some kind of a 'virus' going around as well! I had heard from other people that there was something going around that causes people to feel this way and that it doesn't seem to disappear, ie; one of the symptoms was a sore throat that goes but comes back again and again. Naturally, I just thought that this was what I was suffering. However, as an anxiety sufferer as well, I noticed quite recently that sometimes my throat would feel very sore but unlike the sore throat that is associated with a cold, this one didn't feel sore when i swallowed but just felt sore all the time especially after having say a bowl of cereal with milk and a cup of tea (red wine was a no no). It was then that I realised that it was probably acid. As sufferers of anxiety, we always produce too much acid and acid reflux is very common for a lot of us. It doesn't always produce heartburn in everyone but can affect the throat.
Hence the reason for a sore or burning sensation.

It may be that if you got some anti acid medication, this may clear up the problem. Not forgetting of course to try and stop worrying and thinking about it!! But that's not easy is it?

Kevin.