PDA

View Full Version : medication

flower
20-03-05, 18:44
ive been recently put on citalopram and i feel horrible, im tried all the time and i feel really strange. does anyone else take it and has it worked for you?

'the man that flew into space from his apartment'

FAN
20-03-05, 18:55
hi i dont take it so cant really comment on that one but just taking tablets in general you dont say how long you been taking them but remember it takes a while for them to kick in and you might feel worse before you start to feel better try persevere with them and see how you go

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

Karen
20-03-05, 22:30
Hi Flower

How long have you been on the medication? There can be side affects for the first few weeks but these usually start to subside.

If you have been taking it for longer it might be worth having a word with your doctor. Sometimes a particular medication doesn't suit you and the doctor might want to try something different.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
20-03-05, 23:08
Hi Flower

Know exactly how you feel. I tried it once and gave up after a week but then after trying so many more tablets i tried it again. Started off on 5 mg and built it up really slowly. It made me have a life again and although i still get bad days i know there is hope, whereas before i didnt know that. Medication doesnt suit all of us and some feel better going it alone. I got so bad i knew i couldnt thats why i tried it again and believe me it was hard, the side effects made me a lot worse but i came through it and it has helped so much. I hope they work as well for you as they have me.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

tracyp584
21-03-05, 13:14
Hi flower,

I've been on citalopram for nearly three weeks, and i think the side effects are only just starting to calm down (nausea, tiredness, and made me feel very agitated all the time).I am now looking forward to noticing the benefits of them!

tracy x x

flower
21-03-05, 17:19
im on 20 mg and have only been on them for a week now. i feel really tried as well

tracyp584
21-03-05, 19:12
Hey flower,

I'm on 20mg too, as awful as you feel, you got to think positive and hope that they will do the trick! Be patient (impossible i know) at least thats what my gp tells me!!

Take care

tracy x x

flower
22-03-05, 17:04
same here, ive got to go back and she her in a months time to see how things are going. i hope they work becuase i dont want to try anymore and go through the horrible side effects again

FAN
22-03-05, 18:45
thats probably why you seeing her in a month to see what progress or effects you are having they probably settle down before then

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
22-03-05, 20:54
hi flower,

I was on cipralex (the new citalopram) and I felt pretty bad for the first week or two. I felt much better after that though and it was very much worth it in the end. Give it some time - it can take a while for your body to get used to the meds.

Sarah :D

sal
22-03-05, 22:10
Hi Flower

I know exactly what you mean by you dont want to try anymore and go through the side affects. If it gets too much for you reduce it slightly and work your way up to 20 mg it wont hurt you at all.

I really hope they help you out.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

tattybear
23-03-05, 08:57
Hi Flower

I was on citalopram for about 3-4 weeks but the side effects were horrible esp in the mornings.

I was changed to Mirtazepine Soltab which i take 45mg and they are a lot better esp as I was having trouble sleeping and these really knock me out!

Hang in there...give it a month....if your not happy at any point with them then go back and see yur doctor....When i started on matazapine I didnt really have any side effects...so dont worry that with each mediaction youwill get horrible side effects...some you will some you wont...but they do normally subside.

Take care and let me know how you get on.

Tatty B xx

flb735
10-05-05, 11:17
hi,

i have been taking citalopram for about a year and a half now, i started at 20mg, then went onto 40mg, and now am back to 20. it takes time to get used to it, but i found that it worked well for me. however, of course, not everything works the same for everyone, so give it a chance, but if it really doesn't settle down, then ask your gp for something else. it's important to find something that suits you personally.
hope this helps!

LisaD
10-05-05, 15:25
Hi flower,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been on Celexa for about 10 weeks now (at 30 mg for 3 weeks). I know exactly how you feel, I actually got worse before I got better. I had to nap every day, and even just walking to the store tired me out. It took 3 weeks for that to end, and it still took 2 weeks more before I felt "normal" again. But please be patient, I know that it is hard, but now that I have gotten through that phase I feel fantastic! It has been such a help! If you haven't noticed ANY improvement by the time you see your GP though, you may have to switch. Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on!

Lisa

Gaffertape
17-05-05, 18:35
Hi all.

I've been on 40mg of paxil since February, and though I have some troubling side effects, the worst part is that I seem to be getting no positive benefit from them. I am considering switching to celexa which some fellow OCDers have recommended. Medication is a tricky thing, and it is off-putting how long you have to take something just to see if it will work for you.

Gaff

sal
17-05-05, 22:22
Hi Flower

You have had some great replies. How is it going for you now? Would be great to hear how you are getting on.

Love Sal xx

EmmaJane
17-05-05, 22:35
Hi Flower, I havent been on them, but I know quite a few meds, can make you feel worse, before you feel better.

Good luck

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Jim
24-06-05, 11:44
I took those for about a year. I can't say that they made any real difference. I did notice that I had some side effects when I stopped taking them. It felt a little bit like being on a fair ground ride which lasted for about 3 weeks. The thing is that drugs will not cure the problem, they will only mask it. I would suggest CBT, visualisation and relaxation techniques, combined with a good diet and exercise. Try and stop yourself from internalizing everthing. You must learn not to be obsessed about yourself and start looking outwards. Learn to accept and ignore. Try and observe everything around you and see things of interest wherever you look. Write stories, make a video diary and become your own counsellor. One thing I found particularly helpful was that whatever my immediate concern was (and there have been many) I would imagine that someone else had the same problem and they were asking me for advice. It allows you to take yourself out of the frame and be disassociated with the immediate problem. You need to practice but it does help and you can even get to the stage where you feel a certain sense of authority.

Jim

nomorepanic
25-06-05, 17:54
Hi Jim

Good to see you back and posting again.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

flower
27-06-05, 16:40
hello, im now on fluoxetine, and ive found that theyve worked better and i feel much happyer plus im seeing a theropist as well with helps me with everything