PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

rickloader
18-03-08, 18:09
Is it normal with anxiety that you feel like you have a huge lump in your throat and cant swallow and also feels tight all the time?

Thanks for your help :)x

bottleblond
18-03-08, 18:19
Hi Rick,

Yeah i'm afraid that it is normal. It's a symptom i know many of us suffer from. Just try to relax and drink plenty fluids when you feel like this! It will do you no harm.

Lisa

Worrier
18-03-08, 18:31
Hi Rick,

I suffer from this nearly everyday and freak out when I am eating. I just know the more we worry about it the worse it is.

louwilliams
18-03-08, 18:35
its basically the muscles in your throat filling with blood when you get stressed or anxious. its just the same as your leg muscles or your arm muscles doing this when you get into the "fight or flight" mode-Its really nothing serious or anything to worry about-it wont close up or constrict and just try to remember the more you worry about it the longer you will have it

take care

lou xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rickloader
18-03-08, 21:09
is it normal for it to feel really really tight ?

billywhizz
18-03-08, 21:13
hi rick

my throat has been like this for a few days now, its not the first time an im sure it wont be the last.

the more u think about it the worse it feels.

just try an do somat to occupy urself, an try to relax a bit, drop ur shoulders an let ur neck muscles relax

chalky
18-03-08, 21:14
Hi Rick,

You will continue to fret about this until you distract yourself and take the focus right away from it.
You will be o.k.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Janieb
19-03-08, 10:16
I get this when I am having a bad panic day, it gets seriously tight sometimes I have to purposefully swallow. But it all depends on how Anxious I am, as mentioned you need to take your mind off it, or at least try :)

Take care,
Jane

beauty
19-03-08, 11:22
Yes this is totally normal, I have had this on many occasions. The best thing to do is to get a drink and keep sipping it as this will relax the throat each time you swallow. Other than that there isnt much you can do except to try not to think about it, which i know is really hard.