PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Post-College

ansel
18-03-08, 22:20
I graduated from college two years agao and still have no idea what I want to do with my life. My job is very unstable (the company has already gone under twice), and people are always telling me to switch jobs, but for some reason I can't. I am so anxious about my working situation, that I can't do anything else for myself, I'm always dwelling on my career (or lack there of). I have been trying to meditate/set goals on this site (http://www.myinnerworld.com), but I would love to hear any tips from people that might have been in my situation. I agree with Star who posted on another thread about the anxiety of looking on facebook and seeing my peers so happy with their coworkers...and I feel like I've gotten nowhere in the last few years.

Lilith1980
25-03-08, 13:32
Hi Ansel

Do you think you are worried about leaving your current job because it feels safe? Because you know people there, you know how things work and what the procedures are?

I know change can be daunting but it can also be very exciting and a chance to learn new skills, make new friends and boost your confidence. I can't imagine that the atmosphere is very upbeat at this firm if they have gone under twice already, I imagine a lot of people are wondering when it will happen again.

Try not to delve too deeply into how your friends are doing. You cannot compare one life with another, everybody chooses their own path.

I think it would help boost your wellbeing for you to start looking for another job. You dont even have to know what you want to do for the next 20 years, I still dont know - I tend to look for jobs where I can utilise my existing skills and see if the firm/organisation is one that I would like to work for.

Its only within the last few months that I have realised that I want to work in a more worthwhile job, helping people, instead of being stuck in finance (which I have been in for the last 9 years!)

Its never too late to change your job hun, and I agree its scary but a change seems as though it will be the best thing for you, to add something new and fresh into your life :hugs:

Good luck hun.

Jo xxxxx