PDA

View Full Version : My First Session

Shell26
19-03-08, 12:46
Hi,

I've had my first session of Hypnotherapy this morning. Im unsure as to feel how it went. I spoke to him about the issues i've suffered with over the last 10 years but sometimes i cannot help but think that people think i am weird for what i tell them or maybe even scared!

I wasn't meant to be having the hypnosis today but he asked me if i would like to go into a trance to which i said yes. I didnt fully feel like i was in the trance though, i felt like i could sit up and open my eyes at any time. Is this what it feels like? Im thinking that maybe on my next session i will feel a little better about it but maybe this is a sign that im not cut out for Hypnotherapy either??

Very confused right now. If anybody has any advice then i would really appreciate it.

Lilith1980
19-03-08, 13:14
Hi Shell

Maybe you were quite tense and anxious about the session?

I have heard though that you are supposed to be fully conscious throughout hypnosis - you can hear what is going on around you and respond if you choose to. Did you feel relaxed after the session?

Dont worry just yet hun - see what happens at your next session, its too early to make a judgement about it I think.

Jo xxxxx

Shell26
19-03-08, 13:31
Hi Jo,

I could tell that i relaxed cause my arms and legs felt really heavy and he was saying to me. I did feel relaxed afterwards but i was just wondering whether it had worked or not. I suppose in my next session the hypnosis will last for an hour and it was only for about 15 mins today.

Think im worrying too much xx

Lilith1980
19-03-08, 14:12
Hi hun

It sounds like it worked to me - I find my limbs go really heavy (when I listen to my hypnosis CD) and I can hear everything he says but it just kind of runs through me and I am completely calm.

The first time I listened to it, I did wonder when I was going to go into my trance as I remember thinking "I can hear everything he is saying!" but you are supposed to be aware of your surroundings hun.

15 minutes isnt a very long time so yes, I reckon you will feel more benefit from your hour session. But I definitely think it worked :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

Shell26
19-03-08, 14:46
Thanks Jo,

You have made me feel so much better, i do worry about these things and i suppose its that that doesn't help my anxiety.

I will look forward to progressing more at my next session in two weeks time. The good thing about it is that my boss is very understanding and he know's im having this therapy now every 2 weeks and he doesn't mind at all as long as its helping me. I offered to make my time up at work and he told me not to worry about it.

Im debating whether to tell my parents but they dont understand so not sure but i could do with my dad being able to take me there and back as i dont drive. Do you think i should tell them or keep it to myself? I feel that they will just go on at me about it and tell me that i dont need it xx

:D

shakygirl
19-03-08, 15:24
It sounds like you did fine today Shell. I had my 2nd session today and I went much 'deeper' than last week so I am sure you will find the same thing happens to you next time. If it made you feel relaxed then it was working. Don't forget if you have lived with the problems for 10 years then they are not going to go away in 1 session. Did the hypnotherapist give you some information about self hypnosis? My therapist told me to do the deep breathing and self hypnosis twice a day for at least 10 days and then as often as possible after that. It has really helped so I would strongly urge you to do it and that way you will get the best out of your sessions.

Shell26
19-03-08, 16:01
Hi Shakygirl,

He didnt tell me to do any breathing exercises but i reckon he might do that after my first proper session in 2 weeks. I didnt know i was going to be put in a trance today as he said that the first session was just me talking to him about what i want him to deal with. I got a little nervous when he asked me but i said yes as wanted to see what it was like.

I definitely think i didnt go deep into relaxation but like you say next time, i hopefully will.

Im glad you are progressing really well with yours. Do you have them on a weekly basis? I think he wanted to see me weekly but there is just no way i can afford it plus i dont drive either so i have to get there and back and there are no buses that go from near where i live to the Hypnotherapist. Bit of a pain really but im contemplating telling my parents and hope they understand and my dad would be able to take me and bring me back, not sure what to do though!

:unsure:

chalky
19-03-08, 20:38
Hi Shell,

Think of this process as a 10,000 metre run as opposed to a 100m sprint.
Give yourself time to get used to the treatment and don't pressure yourself with demands for quick results.Slow,consistent progress will yield the best results in the long term.
You are doing really well!!!
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:
Best wishes,
Chalky

shakygirl
20-03-08, 08:22
Hi Shell - don't know when or if I will be having another session. The therapist was so pleased with my progress (really is quite startling the difference between me last week and this week) that she said to leave it a few weeks and keep working on my own with it. I am pretty sure I will book some more sessions - almost certainly when the time comes to stop the citalopram. As you say though it is so expensive that I can't keep going indefinately (as much as I would like to). Let me know how you get on after your next session. If he doesn't go through the self hypnosis with you I can send you the handout that my therapist gave me - it is really helpful.

Shell26
20-03-08, 10:27
Thanks Shakygirl that would be great. My next session is on Wed 2nd April so as soon as i have been i will let you know how i got on.

Many thanks Chalky for your post, i know im probably reading too much into it at the moment.

Many thanks to everyone for all your advice and support :D

xxx