PDA

View Full Version : When to stop going to docs

slavetoanxiety
19-03-08, 14:47
Hi all

Not posted much but I read posts everyday.
I have had anxiety mainly social since a child(40 now), but for the last 9 months I seem to be stuck in period of heath anxiety. Last year I think I pulled a muscle on the left of my chest, rested it for a few weeks and when it did not improve went to docs who suggested imbrprofen. after a week of that I got pains in the top of my stomach I put 2 and 2 together (along with google)and decided I must have an ulcer so went back to docs who sent me for endoscopy and blood tests which found nothing. a couple of days after the endoscopy I noticed a slight pain right side around appendix, so thought it might just be a reaction to the endoscopy. Anyway it did not go away so back to the docs who said she did not think it was a problem but would give me chest xrays and ultrasound (looking for gallstones)to calm my fears. They found no problem.
The chest pain is largly gone as I have relaxed about it. I still have the slight pain (more of a nag than a pain)right side below my ribs which I seem to have become obsessed about(keep stroking it, prodding, holding it etc)and no matter how I try to ignore it I can't.
Should I just leave it eg had enough tests or go back to docs who knows i have anxiety and start the process again.

regards for any help

Slave

AtmoLav
19-03-08, 17:28
I'd leave it. Sounds like you've been through enough. Try to stop thinking about it.

chalky
19-03-08, 20:15
Hi Slave,

By stroking,prodding,etc in this area you are continuing to focus your thinking on it which will allow it to remain a source of concern for you.
You must try to stop this.For one day at a time,focus on positive actions and thoughts.When you are tempted to prod,etc,challenge this behaviour as being unhelpful.You will learn to do this more comfortably over time.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Best wishes,
Chalky