PDA

View Full Version : Boils - grrrrrrrrrrr

nomorepanic
19-03-08, 23:23
I keep getting boils - mainly in the armpit and groin area (which is very common apparently).

I have stopped using deodorant in case it was aggrevating the ones in my armpits (it is ok I don't smell bad :winks: ) but to no avail and tonight I have 2 in one armpit again. They are very painful and annoying and I can't seem to get rid of them.

The ones in my groin area have never really gone and can still be pusy at times (sorry TMI).

I know the old wifes tale is that you get them when run down but this is ridiculous.

Don't want to go to docs as I know what they are but any good old treatments for them out there?

weeble40
19-03-08, 23:54
Hi Nic Im sorry to hear you are suffering at the moment, I have no miricle cure, but I can sympathise with you both me and my brother suffer with boils, on our necks, Ive tried to squeeze em, suck em out with bottles filled with hot water etc. all to no avail, I agree they come when we are feeling run down, and find a good tan helps, but maybe be difficult to get that in ya neder regions, just stick to keeping them dry as best you can and I hope they clear up soon

nomorepanic
20-03-08, 00:00
Thanks

This is why i gave up underarm deodarant - let it breathe lol

I have one that has a hair follicle right in the middle so won't go at all!

No idea why I keep getting them!

jill
20-03-08, 00:10
Hi Nic :hugs:

Ohh sorry to hear your suffering with boils, ohhh hubby has had this prob too.

The best treatment for most boils is a heat application. This can be done with hot packs or hot soaks. The heat application will increase the circulation to the area. Additionally it will allow the body to better fight off the infection by calling antibodies and white blood cells to the area of the infection.

If you google search, home treatment boils, ohhh, boy it comes up with lots of things, must admit, some things what I read to use sound strange, but hay, they may work.

Hope this helps

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Bill
20-03-08, 03:39
I have no idea if this works but I went to my doctor in the summer because I sometimes get this problem on the top of my back when I overheat!!!

She told me to wear cotton and try "Driclor Solution" to reduce the sweating or in your case perspiring. :D We had such a cool summer I've not needed to try it though but it's supposed to work for weeks or more!

mirry
20-03-08, 07:23
hey Nic , i went thru a phase like this , and I even got them around my eyes so the gp sent me to the eye hospital and it turned out i had them behind my eyes too :ohmy: , and down below :blush: . So the gp gave me some antibiotics and they all went away lovely . Maybe you need some antibiotics to help you too ?

tayside lassie
20-03-08, 08:54
hiya ..for years Ive been bothered with the most painful abscesses....i use.. which you can get from any chemist (MAGNESIUM SULPHATE PASTE) its in a small jar .. no need for heating just give it a good stir apply some to a small dressing then put on the affected area (its a drawing ointment for any type of boil ). when youve used it on the affected area it stops the boil returning to that area again

sally....

Hope 2
20-03-08, 11:40
hey Nic

Gonna cost yah a fortune in the chemist's !

Another one 2 consider is Tea Tree oil applied with a cotton bud making sure u only use a little drop .

Banish the Boils !!!!

Ta-rah
Julia xx

bottleblond
20-03-08, 11:55
Nic,

I can get them on my face, i hate to say this but ALWAYS when i'm run down, and the leave marks when they go, ruining my fabulous good looks :huh: lol.

Way back in the dinasaur age when i used to go out regular, i went to the sun beds once per week just for a short session and it worked wonders for my skin. I would never advice people to over use them but if your skin is troubling you at the moment, you could give it a go. also, i can't use spray deoderants either, they always made my armpits itch. Have you tried the cream deoderants? i find these the best for non reactions.

Take care mate

Love Lisa
xxxx

kazzie
20-03-08, 13:08
Hi Nic:D

I dont want to alarm you but have you been checked for diabetes???

Boils are a common sign of it!!!

No need to go to gp Lloyds pharmacy will test you free.....just a quick prick on your finger and result there and then!!!!

Im quite sure it wont be this but think you should have it checked.......Im diabetic and I used to get them something wicked!!!

Hope you soon feel better

Kaz x x x:hugs:

debera
21-03-08, 00:30
hi nic
my mother had them years ago under her armpits. it was from deodorant and shaving. i dont know if you can get it in the uk. but she used mecca ointment and it took them away. it acts like a poultice. hope this helps.
debera:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

angiebaby
21-03-08, 12:51
Tell me about it, lol. I know exactly what you are going through, believe me.
A brief history on mine.
Just before i got pregnant over my second child i was doing a night shift at the hospital and my left thigh was really hurting me. I went to the loo to have a look and it was a massive red swelling with a black middle. I totally freaked as i never knew what it was, just knew that it was terribly painful and i could not walk properly because of it.
I told the staff nurse in charge about it and she said it sounded like a bad boil and gave me some magnesium paste to apply.
I did that and covered it with a dressing. It didn't take long for it to burst and by the time i got home i was in a terrible state. It had left a large hole and this really scared me. My husband confirmed it was a boil and i kept it clean and dressed until it healed. This was the start of the nightmare for me really. They kept appearing in my armpits and on my thighs. This was 1993! A couple of years ago it just got too much for me, they would just appear and i was getting muliple ones on my legs, thighs, sides, bottom, arm pits and groin. I went to the gp. I knew that i did not have diabetes, checked at work and gp checked too, more than once. They referred me to the dermatologist at the hospital. She diagnosed me with HIDRADENITIS SUPPURATIVA. This is mulitple and constant boils really. She prescribed me a very long course of antibiotics and i took them for weeks at a time. She also prescribed me a 'roll on' antibacterial lotion. They did improve for a short while but like the consultant said, this was not a cure. There is no cure for this. You cannot stay on antibiotics forever! Surgery is an option to remove them however there is a nasty scar and dents where they have been. So the only thing that i could do was to wash and bath in the solution that she prescribed me: Chlorhexidine. This is the red solution that is used in the hospital to wash skin and hands before operations and such. You can only get it from the gp and it gets rid of the bugs that live on your skin and keep creating the boils. It does work although i do still get them. It smells lovely, clinical, and it makes your skin soft. It is fine in the bath too, no damage to your hair. The smell doesn't last very long though, not like a shower gel at all. There are help groups on the internet for this condition. I have had this for so very long now that i cannot remember a time in my life where i wasn't scarred. I have a repeat prescription from my gp for CHLORHEXIDINE GLUCONATE CLEANSING SOLUTION, it comes in 500ml bottles. I also have dressings of MEDIPORE + PADS and MEPORE ULTRA. When i started getting my solution the chemist did not stock it as the 'norm', but now i go there regularly they get it in for me. The only thing i can say is that we are not alone and it is more common than we think. I am still hoping that one day mine will stop and then the scars can start to lessen in time. If you want to chat or if there is anything else i can help you with then please PM me. The only thing that i know for sure is that we can only use preventative measures to help us. There is not a cure for this condition, but the antibacterial solution does help.xx

angiebaby
21-03-08, 12:59
Just another point that i thought of. The antibacterial solution is to help prevent them but if you have already got one in full swing, still use it as it seems to help them go quicker as it is still getting rid of the bacteria on the skin that is feeding it. I must say though that this solution isn't a 'oh i have got a boil coming i better use it' option. It is to be used all the time in the shower and the bath unfortunately.
A hot poltice or Magnesium paste is only used when you have a boil that is already there, the latter stage. I suppose that i am grateful about one thing really, that mine independantly burst. If they did not then i would have to have them lanced, so that's a plus for me i suppose, lol.x

tayside lassie
21-03-08, 13:14
hiya angie baby .... i too have suffered for 25 years with them boils!! a couple of times over them years Ive had whoppers of swellings the size of golf balls ..the most painful thing Ive ever had (apart from labour pains and toothache lol...) i remember having to go to the doctor once because of the size and the pain ..he said because the abscess was so big he wanted me to go to the hospital NO WAY ..so he said let me see it again he went over to the cupboard came back looked at i then said that really should be cleaned out ....any way came home and noticed a stain on my trousers when i looked the abscess had burst and there was a little hole in it im assuming he must have nicked it with something and i never even felt it....i find if i use the magnesium paste on one it never returns to that area ...i know your not meant to use it all the time but dont know why ....its amazing how something so small can cause so much pain ...

sally

nomorepanic
22-03-08, 00:17
Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

I am going to read through them and make notes on what may help so will let you all know.

I appreciate all the ideas and recommendations - cheers

Meewah
14-12-08, 23:45
I have suffered with Hidradenitis Suppurativa on and off for years. I found that when I used to go to the gym it would flare up. I haven't had any boils for at least 2 years until this morning when I woke with a blind lump under my left armpit. It is very sore and with my new HA I can now worry that it is something sinister. I hope that's all it is again. I have been doing a lot of exercise lately and I was wearing a artificial fibre jumper all day yesterday. Still the HA just wont have it...it wants more. That and worrying about my kids having this sickness bug. I find it hard to cope sometimes.

Mee

pink daisy
15-12-08, 01:28
Hi Nic

I had s boil on my chin of and on and it hurt like .... yer u get the pic.
Anyways hot water on a piece of cotton wool eased the pain for a little while, Tea tree oil or antiseptic three times aday helped loads too... Just keep them very clean with hot water and antiseptic everyday should go down!! Id try not to pop them as they will affect around it also, hope that helps xx

Kate

flymo9
15-12-08, 09:53
what about a hot bath with salt in water?
sometimes salty water helps soothe things like blisters and used for poltices on poisioness spots etc, maybe help for boils?
hope thats of some help x

crunchie01
15-12-08, 10:26
hi,
i get boils on my knicker line when im stressed and run down,they pop and then they clear up, i dont put anything on them they just clear up on the own

tracy.splosh
15-12-08, 10:34
Hi Nic

I get them too on the top of my legs. This has been an interesting post as so many of us have them. I too am going to read through all the posts for some tips. I tend to have a really hot bath and the burst (tmi).

Love Tracy x

honeybee3939
15-12-08, 10:46
Ohh dont talk to me about boils..lol

I too get the occasion boil/abcess under my arm(i am not too concerned about that) i have also had a abcess in my groin area. I would also recommend anyone having a boil/abcess in the groin area to visit thier GP and get it checked he may give you antibiotics to clear it up. the one i had turned out very nasty as i ignored it in the begining as i thought it had gone but it had grown inwards to the size of a rugby ball:ohmy: . Eventually i got rushed into hospital for 2 weeks and over a 12 month period i had another 6 general aneseptics to try and get rid of it(eventually i got transfered to another hospital in Hull for a special scan,i had septiciamea and a nurse visting my home every day for 12months packing the hole which was left for the awful stuff to drain out. im now left with a 10ins scar around my groin.:) Its my own fault though for not getting it checked out. if i had gone to see the GP as soon as i saw it the antibiotics would have probably worked.

So my advice is if you have any worrys about boils or abcesses especially in the groin area please get it checked by your GP.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx