PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms-is it just anxiety?

Diligent
19-03-08, 23:43
Hey everyone, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because for the past week I've had what feels like a lump in my throat.
It started with that, but today it got so bad that I had to leave work early.
Over the course of the week I've gained the following symptoms which are pretty persistant.
-Shortness of breath
-Mild trouble swallowing
-Feeling feverish
-Lethargic
-Dizzy/completely out of it.
-Constipation/irritable bowels
-Hoarseness in voice
And Thse symptoms which come and go:
-Mild pain under my ribs
-sweaty/clammy hands/feet
-itching
-chest pains
-slight loss of apetite

I've had bad anxiety before, but if that's all that's happening right now, it's pretty much the worst I've ever had it.
Can the symptoms be this persistant for a week and keep getting worse, with panic attacks inbetween?

The PA's really started when on the weekend, I was working out.
I pushed myself pretty hard, considering how lightheaded I was feeling anyway, but I tried to do my normal workout.
I had a pretty big coughing fit.
Later, still feeling like I had something in my throat, I spit, and there were specks of blood in my mucus.:scared15:
It hasn't happened again, but obviously if you already have health anxiety this is the worst possible thing you can see.
I'm hoping it's just because I really overworked myself (which I did), or that I actually just have a throat infection of some kind.
My mind keeps racing to throat or lung cancer, and It's destroying me.

Barring the last bit of nastiness, are the other symptoms lasting 8 days normal for anxiety?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

nomorepanic
19-03-08, 23:48
Have you read the webiste page on here..........

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms

Diligent
20-03-08, 00:01
Yes, I did read that, and it was very helpful.
It sort of looks like it's nothing but a bad case of anxiety, because I have a whole lot of symptoms on that list.
I was just wondering if it was normal for the symptoms to last over a week, because all the other bouts of anxiety I've had have
a)not been this bad
and
b)Only lasted a few days at a time.

jill
20-03-08, 00:22
HI THERE :hugs:

YES hun it is possible for anxiety symtpoms to last more than a week are fears feed them, we feel that there is something more sisinster wrong with us, so we feed the anxiety. Anx Panic is dame hard becasue the first skill we loose is the skill to reasure oursleves, it NOT gone, its still there, but we have to work dame hard to get it back, we have to try dame hard to change the way we think to more posiitive reasuring thoughts.

The blood when you spat may have been caused by your fit of coughing, this may have burst tinny vesals at the back of your throat, which heal on there own. I have had this, spat blood, but after a symptoms of anxiety feeling sick and being sick.

Hun, read all you can about panic, anxiety, symptoms, what happens with each symptom, this does help us move on a litlle. Look through threads on here which relate to your symptoms, this helps too.

Hope this helps a litlle, YOUR not alone

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Diligent
20-03-08, 00:45
Thanks Jill, I really appreciate the feedback!

Shadowwin
30-03-08, 17:40
Hey! you sound like me.. I've been going through the same darned thing for just about a week and a half now.. I've been to the ER I've been to doc.. complaining of coughing up blood.. tightness, shortness of breathe.. blah blah blah.. so far they have scared the heebe jeebes out of me to be frank.. Going as far as sending me for a Chest Cat Scan this coming Tues to "rule out" the last thing a person with health anxiety wants to think about.. cancer.. Honestly I almost wish I didn't go to the doc lol..

They ended up giving me an antibiotic Biaxin is the name of it.. and of course like all antibotics it gave me tummy troubles..

Believe it or not it was my hubby that actually cleared up my spitting up blood issue.. it WAS coming from my sinus cavities just like i TRIED to tell the doc.. Hubby bought me this lovely saline nasal spray just a few squirts and ahhh the relief.. it even got rid of my headache and pressue around my eyes.

To be honest I KNOW there is nothing wrong with me.. I know it is stress and anxiety.. in fact while I was at the doctors office I asked to be put back on my Effexor which I had been off for 6 months because I can feel in the pit of my stomach what is doing this to me.. Heck when I shake for 5 days and cry for no reason... back to the meds I go..

But of course since they are doctors they just don't want to hear me when I say nothing is wrong.. and of course since I was coughing up blood they have to do their doom and gloom dance and make sure everything is right as rain.. but the bottom line to my very long post.. yes.. Anxiety can go on and on.. in fact back in 2000 I had a panic attack I thought lasted a month (it was actually a combition of exhaustion and anxiety)