PDA

View Full Version : New Here

cookiemonster
20-03-05, 23:26
I stumbled across this website while searching for something else, but I'm really glad I found it. I'm 15 years old, and I've had anxiety/panic attacks on and off ever since I can remember. I think I had the first full blown panic attack when I was 8, and they were pretty intense. The anxiety subsided when I was around 11 or 12, and up until this past fall I would only have a panic attack once in a blue moon, and I felt in control of them by that time.

Then came November of 2004. I'd been sick for awhile with something going around- no big deal. Then one evening I could feel my heart skipping beats, and I had a pretty high fever so my mom took me to the hospital. To make a long story short, it turns out I had a mycoplasma infection and hadn't been drinking enough, so I was dehydrated and that probably set off the abornmal heartbeat.

I did better for a few weeks, but then I started feeling sick again. I was stupid enough to google my symptoms, and I soon had myself convinced that my thirst was not from a cold, but rabies. It feels so silly typing this out, but at the time it was all I could think about. I never told anyone because I knew it was foolish, and eventually I stopped worrying about that. I did however, develop some sort of upper respiratory infection and my doctor put me on Albuterol. One of the side effects: anxiety. Which meant I was up all night pacing and feeling like I couldn't breathe. This was around Christmas because I remember sitting in church on Christmas Eve and having such an intense panic attack that I wasn't sure if I could make it through the service without fainting or throwing up. The next panic attack was on New Year's eve; but it was relatively mild and I had a good time otherwise.

My latest bout of anxiety began on the last Thursday in January. On Friday I was at the hospital again, kept overnight and released on Saturday with the diagnosis of panic attack. The following week was the most intense anxiety I've ever experienced. I woke up early from strange dreams and spent my time not being able to sit still and I couldn't concentrate on schoolwork (I'm homeschooled). I'm a Christian, and the anxious thought of choice was: What if I'm not really a Christian, and I'm going to go to hell when I die? This type of anxious thinking ruled my life for a month or so before I went to see someone, who diagnosed me with obsessive-compulsive disorder, and prescribed Zoloft and, temporarily, Klonopin. Apparantly I'm one of a minority of people with OCD who experience obsessions without compulsions.

Right now I'm doing better but I wouldn't say I'm "cured". The other day while eating at a restaurant I had a panic attack, but it was the first since New Year's eve. I'm actually interested in doing things with friends again, whereas for awhile I didn't even feel like leaving the house. Still, it can't hurt to have support for those bad days, and maybe I'll be able to help someone else. I didn't intend to make this so long, but it does help to write it out.

Karen
20-03-05, 23:31
Hi Cookiemonster

Welcome to the forum. It is good that you are doing better and hopefully we can help and support you as you continue along the road to recovery.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
20-03-05, 23:43
hi there,
i'm really glad you found this site too - it's helped me loads and i hope it will help you as well.
i don't really know much about ocd but there is a whole section on this site devoted to it so you should check it out.
i can totally relate to the whole panic attack thing - i think it's really good that you are trying to go out and stuff - try to keep it up so you don't get to a stage where you don't want to leave the house.
let us know how it's all going,
henri x

della
20-03-05, 23:45
hi cookiemonster

welcome to the site glad to hear your feeling more positive about things.
we all have off days and need to support each other, hope you will like the site it good fun and everyone is so friendly.

take care

[:X]della

clickaway
21-03-05, 01:13
Hi Cookiemonster,

Glad you found us and that you are now aboard, so welcome!

Whatever your issues, theres plenty of advice around here and you should be able to relate to other folks here on the messageboard.

You really ought to check out our chatroom http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Its great not only for a bit of advice, but just general chat too about anything you like. It gets busy from 8.30pm to midnight UK time.

Take Care,

Ray

sal
21-03-05, 02:07
Hi hon

Welcome to the site. You are not alone in how you feel and we do have younger members here that will help you through and we will aswell. You are not alone so never forget that.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

seh1980
21-03-05, 10:37
Hello and welcome!! You will find loads of support here. :D

lisarose
21-03-05, 10:43
Hi Cookiemonster,

Welcome to the site, you will find it very helpful and get lots of advice and support.

Take care
Love Lisaxx

FAN
21-03-05, 10:58
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it really helpful

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

zena
21-03-05, 12:43
Hi Cookiemonster.
Cool name.
Sorry to hear that you started having these at such a young age.
There are people on this forum that can really help you and overcome them.
Go into the chatroom if you can.
This is such a great site. Wished I knew about it before.
Take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you can't do something youv'e done before.
It's good to see you have friends to support you.
Keep up the good work.

with good wishes

Zena

Tracy68
21-03-05, 13:26
Hi Cookiemonster
Welcome to the site. I'm sure if you scan through the postings you'll find them of some help and there are plenty of people here that will give you help and support.
Take care
Tracy
x

nomorepanic
21-03-05, 16:51
Hiya Cookie

Love the name!

I hope we can be of some help to you on here and help you get over your problems in time.

Nicola

jill
21-03-05, 17:23
Hi Cookie,

Welcome to the site,

There are lots of nice people here who will help
and support you.

LOVE JILLXXX

tracyp584
21-03-05, 19:06
Hi Cookie,

Welcome to the site.

Take care

tracy x x

Meg
21-03-05, 19:12
Hello Cookie

Youºve had a rough time but n time with determination and effort you will be able to get over this.

Well doen for looking for help outside of your health care providers too.

Do read the health anxiety page too.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

cookiemonster
21-03-05, 23:54
Thanks for making me feel so welcome everybody. :D

sal
21-03-05, 23:56
Pleased you feel welcome and we will always be here to offer advice and support.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.