PDA

View Full Version : Poorly kitten, yet again.

Dying_Swan
20-03-08, 22:34
*sighs*

Evening all :hugs:

Well I don't know why, but I seem to be having bad luck with one of my lovely kittens, Molly :weep: Some of you might remember the previous drama in their lives, where Molly nearly died and Mable seemed to be following.

So Molly is 8 months old, and a gentle, affectionate puss who likes nothing more than to have a full tummy and cuddle up on my knee.

This afternoon I came home from being out and about. Molly was there, right as rain. I went upstairs for a couple of minutes....she was fine. When I came down again, I noticed she was squinting in one eye. I picked her up for a closer look and her head was jerking - almost as though she was fitting. Then she scarpered and wouldn't let me near her. She ate some food and was running about, but still jerking her whole body and running away when I went near.

Of course, I was worried and rang the Vet who said to bring her in immediately. It is not our practice, but he was really good and said her behaviour was very unusual. Her eye had gone cloudy and she continued to twitch. I then noticed something sticky in her fur, which smelt like Engine Oil. She was extremely tender all over her back when he touched her. She had a fever too.

I just have no idea what has happened to my cat. I don't think she's been hit by a car....perhaps in a fight, but he can't see any actual damage to her eye, only inflammation.

He said the twitching is unusual and he's only ever seen it in cases of insecticide poisoning, like flea spray. Well I bought some flea spray today, but decided not to use it. It sat on the table for about 5 minutes...I didn't even take the lid off, but there is a possibility she could have licked the can and there had been some on it. I just don't know :weep:

Other possibilities are Toxoplasmosis, some other poisoning or 'Hyperaesthetic syndrome', which I've never heard of.

Anyway she's had an antibiotic and painkilling shot (this is so familiar) and I am now putting drops in her eye every hour until midnight. I have to ring him at midnight to let him know if she's stable, otherwise she will have to be admitted :weep:

Sorry this is so long. I'm just at a total loss to know why one minute my cat is fine, and the next she's really quite unwell. Has anyone got any experience of this? Any ideas?

Thanks

xxx

kazzie
20-03-08, 22:51
Awwwww Swanny:hugs:

My heart goes out to you:hugs:

Two of my cats are missing so I know the heartache:hugs:

As to the cause???

My sisters cat has epilepsy and behaves in a similar way.....he is on valium has been for years

I once had a kitten that I sprayed with too much flea spray by accident and he had an allergic reaction to it

Do you live in the country???? Pesticides maybe??? Or slug pelletts???

I do hope she gets better soon

Vets are very good these days

Thinking of you:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

domino
20-03-08, 22:51
Hi, hope you kitten gets better soon, are pets are soo special to us. Have some hugs and let us know how she goes. x

nomorepanic
20-03-08, 23:01
Swan

So sorry to hear this.

I am wondering if she is one of those sickly cats that you get sometimes cos of the breeding etc. Not much help to you I know but it could be because of that.

This must be costing a fortune - I hope you have insurance!

I truely hope she gets better soon and you get to the bottom of it all

Have a hug from me.

Dying_Swan
20-03-08, 23:33
Thanks guys :hugs:

Yea - well I thought I was doing well with money, until this afternoon when I had to fork out for new tyres (I've been ignoring my car punctures for some time!), and then another trip to the emergency vet! Ouch. Fortunately they are insured. To be honest though, I don't care as long as she's ok.

Her sister is very robust and a tough little cookie. She's much smaller than Molly but doesn't seem phased by anything, so I don't think it's breeding. Molly is definitely the more sensitive one though and seems to be far more affected by things. I'm going to Italy next week and am dreading leaving them :weep: If Molly doesn't get better I won't be going anywhere.

Kazz - I live in a large village - so it could well be something like slug pellets. It's just the fact that her eye has gone cloudy that's weird. And it was so quick, unless I just hadn't noticed before.

Anyway, at the moment she's just had more eye drops and she seems ok. She's stopped twitching and is in her bed with a blanket on her (because I'm a bit soft). I washed the oil out of her fur so she is quite cross with me!

Kazz - any news on the cats? I think of you often hun and still keeping my fingers crossed for their safe return

xxx

yorkylover
20-03-08, 23:50
Im so sorry to hear about your cat,its so upsetting to see them in distress.I lost a cat to slug pellets many years ago,she didnt have the same symptoms as yours.
I hope all is ok keep us posted.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

margaret911
21-03-08, 00:00
Hi Swan
Hope Molly gets well soon and I hope you have a fab time in Italy. Lots of love and hugs
Mags xxx

Dying_Swan
21-03-08, 17:58
Thanks Ellen and Mags :hugs:

I let them sleep in my room last night, which I don't usually. From 6am-7.30, they leapt repeatedly on me at great speed, which was relaxing. So I figured Molly was feeling a bit better!

I took her back to the vet this morning and her temperature is now ok. Her back is still very sore to touch and she bit me when I stroked it - she is never vicious so I know it is hurting her.

The eye is still a bit cloudy and more reflective than the other. The Vet said it is inflamed but the cornea hasn't ruptured or anything so that's good.

We still have no idea what has happened. She thinks most likely that Molly has been bitten by another cat which is hurting her back - but she said it's good that we got antibiotics into her quickly so hopefully she won't get an abscess.

Possibly she fell from a fence or a tree or something, but that doesn't explain the oil in her fur. My only other theory is that maybe she got under a car and somehow got caught up, or she was rooting in someone's shed and something has fallen on her.

Anyway, she's eating and playing a bit and seems pretty ok so I'm hoping she is on the mend. She won't let me cuddle her but for now I will allow her just to do what she likes!

xxx :flowers:

kate
21-03-08, 18:19
Get well soon, Molly!

I've got a Molly cat as well. She's a miserable little sod :D

Kate

bottleblond
21-03-08, 18:20
(((((((((((((((((((((( swanny ))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm so sorry your kitten is unwell again hun. I have had cats all my life and have saw just about everything but never the twitching thing. sorry!! Not long ago my own cat started acting very odd, she was very cloudy eyed, slow in her movements and not really wanting to talk to anyone at all, again the only explaination for it was that she had gotten into a fight with another cat and came of worse, She did feel very sorry for herself for a few days but did come round and now is back to her normal I AM THE BOSS OF THIS HOUSE self. tut

I hope Molly feels better very soon and that you are able to go on your trip! have a brilliant time.

Lots a love

Lisa
xxx

joy
21-03-08, 18:29
Wish they could tell you what they've been up to when they've been out dont you?

Joy

Karen
21-03-08, 23:32
Hi Dying Swan

Sorry your kitten has been poorly. I hope she recovers soon :hugs:

Karen xx

shoegal
22-03-08, 03:51
Hi there,

I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and I hope your lovely kitten gets better soon.

I know from experience how upsetting it is to see a beloved pet in distress.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :flowers:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Dying_Swan
22-03-08, 12:52
Thanks guys so much for being lovely :hugs:

And thanks NMP for being there when I need some support!:)

I still have no clue what happened to her, but she seems loads better now. I kept her in yesterday and she slept most of the day. This morning I let her out as I could see a lot of pent up energy! She flew back in and ran up the curtains, so I think she's ok!

She loves her medicine which is helpful! Anyway, her back is still sore to touch, but her eye looks almost normal again and she is back to coming on my lap, so I'm really happy :)

Thanks again :hugs:

joy
22-03-08, 16:29
jolly good, shes gonna be one of those kittens that things happen too. i had one of those who cost me a fortune over the years but dont regret a single penny

joy

pips
23-03-08, 17:02
I'm so glad she's on the mend they are such a worry hey. I'm always worrying about my 3 pussems.

I'm on a toy mouse hunt http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_2v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm594YYGB)at the moment as our older girl Snoops has a favourite green toy mouse and she gets upset when she can't find it bless her. So an afternoon of peering under beds setees fridges etc etc.... Until we find green mousey!

Get Well Soon Hugs to Mollyhttp://www.boomspeed.com/1631951/Hug-cat.gif

Take care,:flowers:

Love Pip's X X X X

lesleya
23-03-08, 18:19
Hope your little cats ok now ds i know how much you love them.
Take care
xxxx:hugs: :hugs:

Dying_Swan
23-03-08, 21:28
Thanks guys :hugs::hugs::hugs:

She definitely does seem to be the delicate one, bless her. She is well in herself now but is refusing food (evidently doesn't like this flavour of Felix) and was also sick this morning, but I think the medicine is upsetting her tummy as she isn't eating a lot. She has plenty of energy though and so I think she must be ok.

Here she is this morning, sampling her first ever snow:

I hope Green Mouse turns up! (Black mouse is the favourite here but his tail came off!)

Dying_Swan
31-03-08, 13:48
There really is something odd going on with my cat :shrug:

I went to Rome last week and thankfully Molly was fine. Apparently the minute I'd gone, and shut them safely in with the cat flap locked, they worked out how to open the cat flap themselves! I've ordered an aluminium dog flap with a steel lock, but I don't hold out much hope!

Anyway, got back from Italy and the mogs were fine. About half an hour later, I noticed Molly's other eye had gone cloudy! She was quite normal in herself but had a cloudy left eye (last time it was the right eye).

I didn't call the Vet because it was 2am and I was over the limit, having had to consume a lot of brandy due to flight nerves. She seemed fine as well. Next day her eye was perfectly ok again!?!

So I haven't taken her to the vet because she is fine. I just do not understand it.

Any clues?

Richie
31-03-08, 14:59
hELLO Dying Swan,
could it be cataract? but then if she was fine the next day i don't know. An allergy of something?
Richie xxxxx

JulieAs45
31-03-08, 15:22
Awww poor Molly, and poor you too it must be so stressful for you hun. :hugs:

Is there something you can think that's in the garden or the house that the little minx is getting into? Could be something like a plant pot etc that has collected rainwater she might be drinking from thats previously had plant food or something sprayed on it?

Any cleaning stuff hanging around in the bathroom? I had a dog that used to drink out the toilet! lol gross I know but always had to make sure if there was bleach or toilet cleaner in it that the lid was down and the door closed tight. Can she get into kitchen cupboards etc, for it to come on so quick sounds like a reaction to something.

Sorry can't be more help hun, hope molly is soon ok and you get to the bottom of it.

Have some hugs for you and Molly :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

bottleblond
31-03-08, 23:16
Swanny

i think that young moggy of yours is getting into something it shouldn't! do you use shake n vac at all? air freshners? anything similar???

I had a cat years ago that was allergic to the hoover freshners i was using, but took months and months to figure it out.

It's prob something simple hun, but a begger to sus out!!

I hope Molly gets better soon mate coz it must be doing your head in.

loads of love

Lisa
xxxxx

Dying_Swan
01-04-08, 21:53
Thanks guys :hugs:

I think there must be something in the house or garden that's causing it. Sounds daft but thought maybe she's poking her eye on the Yukka or something. I don't know. I haven't used Shake N Vac for some time! But it could also be something like that. I reckon it's probably plant related knowing her. Just hope that's all it is and isn't something sinister.

She seems well in herself so I haven't taken her to the Vet - she's eating and running about. I might take her later in the week, but she's been fine since the last cloudy eye incident.

Thanks again

kazzie
01-04-08, 23:21
Swanny:hugs:

Sounds like an allergy to me:shrug:

But to what I guess you will never know:shrug:

I know that any cleaners etc that go cloudy in water are bad for cats:mad:

Not much help but have a :hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

Dying_Swan
02-04-08, 22:05
Thanks Kazzie :hugs:

I might give the Vet a ring at some point and just see what they say. There have been no more cloudy eyes since the weekend so keeping my fingers crossed.

I hadn't thought of an allergy but it's definitely a possibility. And also the cleaning products. I do try to keep cleaning stuff shut away from the cats but there are some bottles in the bathroom and stuff so could be them. I read that cats like the taste of antifreeze but it's very toxic to them, so I wouldn't put it past them to lick bottles of loo cleaner!

Anyway - you take it easy hun. Thinking of you