PDA

View Full Version : When does it get easier?

tracyp584
21-03-05, 13:05
Hey Everyone,

I'm just sitting here feeling a bit low. I have recently become more and more worried about driving, alone or otherwise, and it is really getting to me. I feel like my last scrap of independance is vanishing.
I made a conscious effort this weekend to drive, with my husband. And i found myself driving, but crying at the same time. But not crying because i'm driving, but because of how awful and defeated i felt - if that makes sense.
My main problem is, even when i have driven and have got home, i cant seem to be positive about the next drive, even though nothing went wrong on the last drive?I am doing things i can build on, yet can't manage to.

I dont know if any of this makes sense as i'm rambling! But anyone, any ideas what else i can do?

tracy x x

sal
21-03-05, 13:46
Hi Tracy

First of all remember that although you feel you are not getting any further with this, you are still driving and keep trying. That is positive in itself as you havent let it stop you driving. In time your confidence will grow.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Tracy68
21-03-05, 13:52
Hi Tracy
I don't suffer with this but i know there are a few on here that do, might be worth getting some tips on how they deal with it. BUT it will get easier in time and like Sal said you're still driving and that's something :D.
Take care
Tracy
x

seh1980
21-03-05, 16:47
hi Tracey,

I didn't drive for 2 years due to panic and am driving again now...though not on the motorway too often..The best thing to do to stop yourself panicking is to distract yourself. Nic gave me loads of good tips on how to do this and they really helped me: sing along to the radio, play mind games with yourself, plan an afternoon out in your mind, etc. You will soon realise that you have been driving for a while and haven't even thought about panicking!!

Sarah :D

lisarose
21-03-05, 17:07
Hi Tracy, Welcome to the site!!

You will find lots of help and support here, I don't suffer with this as I don't drive so can't really advise you but I know this is the best place to get help and support.

Take care and you are doing a great job of trying to cope with this fear already!!
Love Lisaxx

nomorepanic
21-03-05, 17:10
Hiya Tracey

The tips that Sarah mentions are on the website - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm

Loud music works for me and singing along to it too.

Try some - it may help you too.

It is an achievement to keep driving if you have issues with it but you don't have to appraise yourself every time you do it.

Stick at it ok so it doesn't become an issue for you.

Nicola

doddy
21-03-05, 20:00
hi tracy,

never had the problem with driving but can certainly relate to the feeling of dispair, but you must not give up doing the normal things however hard they might feel now.

and does it get easier?? yes, can you live anxiety free? yes, takes time and strenght but you will get there.

take care

doddy

bubbles
21-03-05, 21:37
Tracy,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I don't drive anymore but am not overkeen on car travel. If you look at the manic roads & the often bad driving---it's no wonder it's a cause of anxiety for so many people! I'm fortunate in that I live in the suburbs of a city( & I'm retired) so don't have to use a car very often, I have the choice.
But, obviously, some people have to drive because of where they live, or their jobs.

You are doing really well because in spite of how you feel you are still out there doing it. As Nic said, keep going so that it doesn't turn into a bigger issue.

It will get easier, the suggestions about radios & singing along sound a great idea & seem to have worked for a lot of people.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

sal
21-03-05, 21:55
Hi Tracy

How are you feeling now?

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

tracyp584
22-03-05, 09:55
hi,

thanks for all your comments. Am feeling bit worse today funny enough. feel like i dont want to go anywhere today by car or not. have just phoned the doctor, coz i feel like i am going more and more downhill since starting citalopram 3 weeks ago. Am coming to the point where i think what else can i do?
Thanks everyone, it really helps to be able to be honest here. Helps to keep me half sane!

tracy x x

Meg
22-03-05, 21:20
Hi Tracy

I cried nad retched my way up and down the M1 and M6 for several weeks. months and one day it got easier nad I didnšt cry..

You have to do it and redo it and then do it again and praise yourlsef for each trip.

Its not easy but it does happen eventually

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

sal
22-03-05, 22:04
Hi Tracy

sorry today hasnt been a good one, but pleased you have rang your doctor and hope they can offer an alternative or give you support on what you are taking.

It will come together and like Meg says regardless how hard it gets keep trying and one day it will be worth it.

I know you are trying to drive whenever you can and even if you dont feel any benefit afterwards you do it again, and eventually it will work out. Your facing it which is a lot more than some of us have done, so give yourself that well deserved credit.

Love Sal xx