PDA

View Full Version : A Worrying Day

Bill
23-03-08, 00:46
They say that worrying serves no purpose but sometimes when something is important to us, I don't think we can stop ourselves from worrying. It's when we allow worry to become debiliating that it becomes a problem.

Our black labrador who is nearly 14 got out of his bed today and promptly fell over. He had no strength in his back legs and appeared as if he'd been on the booze all night! Every time he tried to shake or even just to walk, he'd fall over sideways. He was panting and shaking with stress. I had to follow him wherever he went. It was heartbreaking to see him suffering.

Memories flooded back of our first dog who got so ill that he couldn't stand and after taking him to the vets, he had to be put down. A day I'll never forget. Fears inside me grew thinking the vets would say the same about our dogs condition. Every so often I became tearful at the thought that the end was near for him.

First though I had to Get him to the vets. He's 35kg but he couldn't jump in the car so I had to get him in his basket and get my wife to help me lift him in which was an effort.......and that was just getting help from the wife!!! Meanwhile my mother who I'd brought round was watching on and at her age there was little she could do to help.

Once we got to the vets, the vet helped me carry him in. I was struggling to hold my emotions together for fear of what he would say. It's something about me that I've always hated how emotions come to the surface so easily and having to try to keep a lid on them.

Anyway, the vet said he thinks he'd injured his leg or back during the night. He gave him 2 injections and now he's feeling much better....as am I except feeling washed out by worry! The vet also said to go back tomorrow and depending on how he is he'll either just need tablets or some other treatment but the vet is hopeful he'll be ok.

I was convinced that he'd say he couldn't do anything for him. It's amazing how we can worry ourselves sick when we become so afraid of losing something dear to us. He's my best friend you see. Always there to listen, never argues and always comes back for more! He's my close companion but one day I know I'll most probably have to accept the inevitable........I just want it to be much later, please!!!:unsure:

funky chick
23-03-08, 01:20
Hi Bill,
Just wanted to say im so so glad that Yogi is going to be ok and is on the mend as know he means so much to you. sending you hugs love Gail xxxx:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

shoegal
23-03-08, 03:28
Hi Bill,

I shed a tear reading your post. I'm so pleased your dog is getting better and it wasn't the dreadful outcome you were expecting and feared. We can't help worrying about those we love even though the worrying is sometimes not helpful.

I lost my dog in December and it was the saddest day of my life. I was worried sick while he was unwell and couldn't eat or sleep, but it was not something I could control. I was terrified he would have to be put to sleep and I thought I wouldn't have the strength to be there for him. Unfortunately my poor dog did have to be put to sleep and to this day I don't know how I did it, but I was there for him right at the end and I know he died peacefully in my arms. Afterwards I felt a tremendous sense of relief as well as grief because I knew he wasn't suffering anymore. My point is that worrying does not change the outcome, and even when we feel at our very worst we find the strenth to cope from somewhere. Try not to let the 'what if's' spoil the time you do have left with your lovely dog.

I hope your dog has many happy years ahead of him. :woof

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

sagey
23-03-08, 23:54
Bill, what a black day for you, I'm pleased the outlook is brighter now. I don't have a dog but I know how distressing it is when you feel so helpless and so much love for your dumb friend. I hope tomorow brings more calm for you and yours. Sagey.

Bill
24-03-08, 01:05
Thank you for your kind replies.:hugs:

He's got worse again. Barely eating and very wobbly. I may have to take him back to the vets if I can lift him in the car.

It's amazing how a dog can become so close to you as part of the family. I'm finding his condition a strain on my emotions and very stressful because he needs constant attention. I'm even having to sleep downstairs with him! As they say though, we just have to find a way to cope. It's just so heartbreaking. I'm sorry.

Just hoping he'll improve.

debera
24-03-08, 01:10
hi bill
im so glad to hear that your dog is going to be ok.i know what its like to worry about them. ive had to put two dogs down in the past. its the worst thing i have ever gone through. i have a golden retriever now. when any thing goes wrong with her i always think the worst.anyway your post brought tears to my eyes, but so glad your dogs is going to be ok
debera:yesyes:

debera
24-03-08, 01:14
hi bill
just read your recent post. sorry to hear your dog has got worse. i hope things work out for your dog. will be thinking of you tomorrow
debera

Bill
24-03-08, 03:28
Just wanted to say thank you Debera.:hugs:

As a dog owner yourself I'm sure you understand how I am feeling so "thank you" for your thoughts.:hugs: Had him since he was 2 yrs old and I know I've got to accept that he's now old but I hate feeling so helpless and watching him stagger around even though he's not in pain. It just gets to me!:weep: Trying not to think about it but difficult to stop worrying about him. :woof

I'll let you know how things go.:hugs:

chalky
24-03-08, 07:51
Hi Bill,

Big hugs for Yogi!!!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Our Coco is 15 and we have had him since he was 6 months old.He is our fourth child.He is arthritic,half-deaf and his eyesight isn't the best and yet.... he is the most beautiful,faithful,loving creature in the world.From the moment we brought him home from a pet rescue centre,he has been nothing but a priviledge to look after.
Our best friends have a beautiful black labrador of similar vintage and physically poorly.They have arranged for me to take him to the Vets when the time comes.Not a pleasant thought but I understand why.
I do hope Yogi can be treated by the Vet and be returned to your clearly,very loving care.
Best wishes,
Chalky

lorac
24-03-08, 11:27
Bill

So sorry to hear your dog isn't well. Being a dog owner I know how they become part of the family and it is a worry and sad when they are ill. I really do hope that the vet can sort your dog out Bill.

Will be thinking of you and your dog Bill. Wishing you both all the best.

Love
Carol
xxx

joy
24-03-08, 13:36
I lost my 15 year old dog 18 months ago really due to old age. He too started falling over etc etc, but the day I decided to put him to sleep it was obvious he had had enough so really there was no decision to make. Naturally I was heartbroken and did the never again thing,however 6 months later we adopted an 8 month pup from the rescue centre. Altho at the time you feel almost guilty about replacing the beloved lost one they soon wind their way round your heart. Anyway hopefully this is just a blip and your doggie will have some time yet.

Love and understanding

Joy

shoegal
24-03-08, 14:11
Hi Bill,

How is your dog doing? I hope he is getting better.

Stay strong for him.

smudgie
24-03-08, 16:55
:hugs: Hi Bill

WRAPPING MY ARMS AROUND YOU AND YOUR DOG
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Im crying my eyes out, your pain, I dont know what to say Bill.

Animals are wonderful family and many hearts get broken, life with your loving pet is always too short but keep in there and hold him and give him all the love he wants , your doing that anyway , I now.

My cat died, smudgie, she was the world to me and knew all there was to know about me, she was different, human most people called her, she came to work with me, rode around in my car like a lady. A day don't go by without me seeing her or hearing her now.

I wishing for you that you will have your dog back better and you an spend more time together.

Sending all my love to both of you
Nessxx

andie73
24-03-08, 17:04
Hi Bill

So very sorry to hear about Yogi, I have three dogs and they our our world(me and Hubbie). My eldest is 11 and is Lab too. He's arthritic and like you I adore him. He has been there for me at my worst moments before I met my hubbie. Only a dog can give you such unconditional love. I am keeping everything crossed for Yogi I really do hope he is ok. I'm at a loss to know what to say really but try to stay calm for Yogi. All the best xx

Bill
25-03-08, 02:16
Thank you everyone for your kindness and support.:hugs:

I'm sure some people must think to themselves "he's just a dog!" so why get so upset and I wouldn't blame them for thinking it. It's just that they become part of the family. When we lost our first dog, even my mother cried.

I spoke to the vets this morning and he fears it may be more than just a physical problem but I won't go into it on here. It's just made me more worried because at times he appears fine but at other times it's upsetting to watch him and I feel so helpless.

When I lost my father a couple of years ago, I knew I'd receive no comfort at home so when I got home I just said I was fine and took the dog out. Things just carried on as normal. In the back of my mind I'm thinking this time I won't have a dog to take for a walk so I'm still hoping they can at least control whatever is wrong.

I'm sorry this is a depressing subject and I really don't like offloading to lovely people who have their own probems. I'd much rather listen to your problems!

I just feel in a bad dream and I want things back to normal.

Anyway, he's still eating just about, and wagging his tail even if he does appear to have spent every night on the tiles!!!

By the way, for the cat lovers out there, we have a cat too who's just had 3 rotten teeth out. Cost us as much as a years car tax! Expensive things pets...but we luv 'em!

Thank you again everyone and I'll keep you informed for those interested.:hugs:

sarajane
25-03-08, 10:10
My prays and thoughts are with you Bill,

I totally understand how you are feeling at the moment.

Our pets are more than just pets to us.

Mine are always there for me, no matter what.

They are always happy to see me and be near me even when no one else is.

We also had a frightening experience not long ago concerning one of our cats. At the time I also got myself totally worked up imagining every possible depressing thing my mind is capable of.

I woke in the night hearing a lot of banging and crashing and didn't think much of it because our cats and my dog often play and make lots of noise during the night.

After going back to sleep and being woken again I finally decided I'd better investigate.

The noise was coming from the shower and when I looked in 'Q' our beloved cat had his head stuck inside a 'cat food' can and couldn't get it off.

I removed the can and he then staggered and fell around with his eyes fully dilated, banging and crashing into everything.

It was so frightening to watch and because it was only 2.30am I couldn't ring the vet or do anything until morning.

I also didn't want to wake the girls as they would then have got as upset as I was.

So for the next 6 hours I just cuddled him and tried to make him calm down, which was really hard because he had no co-ordination or sense of where he was.

Those 6 hours seemed like days to me at the time as every possible scenario went through my mind.

I was sure he was brain dead due to lack of oxygen and all I could do at the time was imagine all the worst case scenarios, like how am I going to tell the kids, how are we going to live without him etc.

As soon as the vet opened I was on their door and the vet told me that a lot of cats do die from getting their heads stuck in cans but if I was prepared to pay for him to have a cortisone shot which may bring the swelling in his brain down he might have a 20% chance of recovery.

I left him with the vet and the girls and I returned home praying that he might get better.

The next morning they phoned and told me he was 'a miracle' and that he was on the mend.

He also used up his nine lives over this, and I have learned from it as well.

I spent 6 hours getting myself so worked up and depressed when I should have just dealt with the situation at hand and not worried myself sick about things that might never happen.

I only need to practice what I've learned from this more often.

Thinking of you Bill, and all my prays for your loved family member to have a speedy recovery.

Love
SJ:hugs:

lorac
25-03-08, 10:57
Hi Bill

Took one of my dogs to the school this morning and outside the gates she totally lost her legs, she was on the floor having some kind of attack and couldn't move her for about 10 mins. She seems to be ok now and it isn't the first time she has had these. It is worrying when a pet is not well, I think that maybe my dog is having some kind of panic attack because this always seems to happen when she is in crowds.

Hope your dog will be ok Bill

Love
Carol
xxx

sheba2
25-03-08, 22:38
Dear Bill

haven't been around for a few days and was really sad to hear about your wonderful dog. We had the same problem with our Sheba just before Christmas. She had been suffering with her back legs for a few months and was on tabs and had a course of injections. Some days she could not get up at all and then just when we thought that time had come she rallied. However the last time she couldn't get up she was in such a mess and as she was also a big dog I couldn't keep lifting her to go to the toilet. She was so unhappy with herself and it was totally heartbreaking but we had to have her put to sleep. Those last few days with her were really tough and although we miss her so much I know that it would have been unkind to let her carry on.

Over the last two years we have lost 3 dogs and now we only have one left Suki who will be 10 this year. She is also a very large dog and is beginning to show her age. Our dogs are members of the family and are often more in tune with our feelings than humans. Although I miss them terribly when they die I always get another one or two I would hate to be without mans best friend.

You take care and I hope whatever happens that you can hold on to all the best wishes that the people on here send to you. You are such an inspiration to me I hope that in some way I can be of help to you too.:hugs:

Bill
26-03-08, 01:55
Your replies just prove why I felt I could share this with you because you're such a Lovely bunch of people!:hugs:

I know we beat ourselves up for the problems anxiety cause us but I doubt there are any other type of person who would care more for others than yourselves which is why I keep coming back because you're such a pleasure to know.........a toast to hidden friends.:emot-cheering: :hugs:

I'm quite sure that if I'd known of this site during my realy bad times, I wouldn't have felt so alone and knowing people like you would have eased my pain.........so thank you for being so caring and understanding.:bighug1:

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is he appears to have a problem with balance in general and today he's suffered alot of sickness and diarrhoea. The good news though is he isn't falling over like he was, he's lively and is still hungry!

It's still guesswork as to what is wrong though but as they say, we live in hope.

Sarajane, your story just goes to show their survival qualities. I'm So pleased he pulled through!:hugs:

Carol, oh boy, a dog that suffers panic attacks! They do say dogs are like their owners! :D Our dog suffers from panic too. He shakes and pants like crazy in the car and steams all the windows up so we have to keep a window open and freeze as a result! I think he suffers from a fear of feeling trapped!!! Oh well, maybe he gets that from me!:D

"Dear" Sheba, you're Already being a help to me through your kind words of support. You could do no more and I appreciate all you say!:hugs: I just don't know what I'll do when that day comes. They can be a tie and so expensive but I'll miss my best friend and the house will feel empty. I try not to think about it.

I'm sorry if this thread may bore others but sharing has helped me alot to cope with this. I feel I'm over the initial shock and am adapting but having people like you to talk to has provided me with a bridge in getting there. I appreciate all your kind support more than you know.:hugs:

shoegal
26-03-08, 04:15
Dear Bill,

I'm glad your dog is still lively and hungry (surely that is a good sign?) but sorry he isn't better yet. When they get old you just can't tell what the outcome will be. All you can do is be there for your friend and keep your fingers crossed. What did the vet say about it all? Has your dog got to have any tests for the balance problems or the sickness? If he has been given any tablets maybe that could explain his upset tummy?

Anyway, I'm thinking of you. I know how upsetting it is to watch a pet suffer and to feel so helpless. I've got my fingers crossed for your friend.

Bill
27-03-08, 04:01
As you say shoegal, you just never know what the outcome will be with them!:shrug:

He's been virtually back to normal today which is very puzzling but a Big relief.

He won't touch his usual dry food though unless it's moistened. The cat had 3 teeth out recently so we had to give him soft food for a while. The dog kept sniffing at it at the time so we wonder if he had an ulterior motive and is now expecting the same treatment!:D

Seriously though, I'll be taking him back to the vets and we'll have to see but on the whole he's Much better at the moment!

Thank you everyone for your support. I've really appreciated it. I Have found it a very worrying and stressful time.:hugs:

smudgie
27-03-08, 09:24
Hi Bill

Lets hope it continues and the vet is happy.

we are glad that you have let us help you in a small way by talkinng to us, warm words of encouragement and support from all of us.
Your feeling would go through the roof its your life and family . for a long time you are going to feel it because now you have had this illness with your dog you will worry all the time.
You dont need me waffling on, you know what I mean.

Im here for you still handing your hand.
Love to you
nessx:hugs:

lesleyB
27-03-08, 10:04
Bill, I wish you and Yogi all the best, can't think of much more to say other than I am thinking of you at this difficult time.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
For Yogi:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Lesleyb

shoegal
27-03-08, 10:29
Hi Bill,

I'm still thinking of you and your furry friend, and I've got my fingers crossed for him.

Love shoegal xxx

Lilith1980
27-03-08, 10:31
Hi Bill

Fingers crossed for Yogi, wishing him all the best :hugs:

You take care of yourself too ;)

Jo xxxxx

Bill
27-03-08, 15:04
Hello all:hugs: ,

I must admit I'm rather overwhelmed by all your kindness and support. I honestly didn't think this would generate such a response. Thank you!:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I've had very little sleep lately as I've been sleeping downstairs with him, on my guard to every noise he's been making. I had about 2 hours sleep last night with the "false" alarms getting him out in the garden because I thought he was going to be sick. He normally warns me but last night he decided to let go without warning all over his blanket! I gave him the blanket because he keep shivering. The bare floor was right next to him! Typical a!

So anyway, I was cleaning up the mess in the early hours Again in my pj's and chucking yet another spoilt blanket into the washing machine while my wife snored cosily upstairs in her bed!

I rang the vet who said to bring him in. This time I saw a consultant and "hopefully" I believe we've got to the bottom of it!

He reckons that last Saturday he suffered a "neurological" syndrome. He called it something but you know what those names are like!!! They don't know why this happens to dogs but this episode caused his balance problems. Old age I reckon! However, he reckons his sickness and diarrhoea have been caused by the tablets they prescribed to help his hips, thinking the cause to his balance problems was arthritis.

So now we reckon the syndrome has passed and he's been prescribed some new tablets to prevent the sickness. The other tablets have been stopped. It's very unusual to have bad side effects with them but I think he has a very sensitive tummy!

The consultant did warn me though that this could be a sign of him "getting too old" and that 90% of labradors are put to sleep because their hind legs go first before any major organ.

So although I'm relieved this episode may be coming to an end, I've been reminded it may also be just the start.

He's So funny though! He refuses to eat a mouthful out of his bowl but if you give him a tiny bit at a time, he gobbles it down! Poor fella must be getting senile! Looks like I need to feed him like you would the ducks!

Anyway, so far today since his sickness this morning and after the consultant giving him a couple of shots, he's been fine. He was also able to jump into the car which is amazing after what he was like before! Back to the vets again tomorrow!

They're amazing animals really.

Sorry a bit long but I thought you'd like to know.:shrug:

I just feel shattered! Can you nurses arrange a bed for me...please??????:sleep:

scooby28
27-03-08, 20:25
I'm so glad your dogs going to be ok.

Luv

Amy

sheba2
27-03-08, 20:52
Dear Bill

So glad Yogi has perked up. I loved hearing how you are hand feeding him. I thought I was the only one who did this sort of thing. When Sheba was ill I used to cook her all sorts of things to try and coax her to eat and she also liked being hand fed. They know when they are onto a good thing.

Try and get some rest yourself though because tiredness is a great friend of anxiety. Hugs to you and chooches (sp) to Yogi

lorac
27-03-08, 21:10
Hello Bill

Really pleased Yogi is feeling better. Made me laugh you feeding him by hand I remember our old Collie dog wouldn't eat from her bowl so my mum used to feed her with a wooden spoon, it was either that or she wouldn't eat. The things we do for our pets.

I agree with Sheba you should try and get some rest Bill .

Hope you have a better night with him.

Love
Carol

Bill
29-03-08, 03:47
Just wanted to share the good news!:yesyes:

He's been suffering from something like an inner ear infection and the good news is he is virtually back to normal! Still wobbly and a bit off his food because of the sick feeling but he'll be OK.

No more sickness either! He will though have to keep taking tablets for arthritic hips but then at his age, well, to be expected!

It was frightening to see him falling over but he's doing OK!

Thank you everyone for your kind posts. You helped me alot through this worrying time. I very much appreciated your caring support.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

shoegal
29-03-08, 05:13
Dear Bill,

I'm so pleased your dog is getting better and that it was all caused by an ear infection!

By the way, when my dog was poorly he would also only eat if I hand fed him. It was almost as if he didn't feel like eating but if he thought he was getting a treat... well that was a different matter!

I think when they get old it is inevitable that they will need some sort of treatment so I wouldn't worry about the treatment for his arthritic hips. I think big dogs often suffer from that in old age.

Anyway, that's great news Bill. Thanks for letting us know how he is getting on. :woof

smudgie
29-03-08, 19:03
Hi Bill

Im so pleased for you both sending you both a bunch of flowers as you both need recovery now:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

lorac
29-03-08, 19:55
Bill

I am so pleased they found out what was wrong with Yogi. You take good care of him and yourself Bill you both need a rest now because it must have been a big worry to you.

Love to the both of you

Carol
xxxx

sagey
30-03-08, 00:52
Good to know he's O.K. now Bill.

debera
30-03-08, 02:55
hi bill
im so happy to hear that your dog is doing alot better. it must be a relief to you. i know when my dog had to have her anal glands remove in june because they kept getting infected. i was a complete wreck until the surgery was over and then they told me there might be a chance of incontinence i was so upset, but as it goes that didnt happen. anyway bill so glad to hear that your dog is doing better
debera:hugs: :yesyes: :yesyes: