PDA

View Full Version : Useful books?

bubbleblitt
25-03-08, 07:49
Hi, I'm trying to get a recommendation for a book to help deal with panic disorder.I would be very grateful for any tips-thanks!

milly
25-03-08, 11:03
I can suggest an absolutely brilliant book. Its so good you can forget about ever buying another book on anxiety/panic. Its called When Panic Attacks and is by an Irish doctor called Dr. Aine Tubridy. As she has a medical background you really accept and trust the content. It answered every question I ever had about anxiety and has excellent advice for getting over it. It also comes with a CD. I cannot recommend it highly enough and I have read a lot on the subject. I think you can order it on Amazon.

Piglet
25-03-08, 11:08
!. Self-Help for your nerves by Claire Weekes

2. Hyperventilation Syndrome by Dinah Bradley

3. The Anxiety Trap by Terry Conley

Those are the top 3 to start with but I would go and read the reviews on amazon to get an overall veiw.

Piglet :flowers:

frank
25-03-08, 13:15
Claire Weekes is really good

lorac
25-03-08, 13:21
Claire Weeks Self Help for your Nerves really helped me back on my feet again.

Carol

bubbleblitt
26-03-08, 05:56
many thanks for your replies.I've ordered the Claire Weeks book and I''ll look into your other recommendations.I really want to try and tackle this panic disorder-it's very scarey.

Richie
26-03-08, 12:43
Hi there haven't tried Claire Weeks books but might when can afford lol
"Mind over Mood" was recommended to me but sorry i can't remember the authors name, but she is supposed to be the "authority" on phobias and panic disorders these days. I took some photo-copies of her worksheets which are extremely good.
Also ANYTHING by Dr Issac Marks from the Maudsley Hosp behavioural unit is brilliant
Luv Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Richie x x x x x x x x x x x

joy
26-03-08, 13:35
You could prob get a second hand one on Amazon

Love Joy

bubbleblitt
27-03-08, 06:22
thanks everyone-my Claire Weeks book arrived yesterday, quick service from Amazon (2nd hand!) It has really helped already! It all makes perfect sense because I always fight the feeling of panic and she explains it's the worst thinh you can do because you then get worse by secreting even more adrenaline.I'm putting the theory into practise starting this morning and I'll update over the next few days to let you know how it's going, B x

smudgie
27-03-08, 09:51
THREE CHEERS FOR AMAZON

i ALWAYS USE THEM FOR BOOKS, SO MUCH CHEAPER.

GLAD YOU GOT THE CLAIRE WEEKS BOOK, ITS BY MY BED AND IT HELPS ME.

GOOD LUCK

TAKE CARE OF YOU
Smudgie

bubbleblitt
28-03-08, 05:47
thanks Smudgie-woke up with all the usual symptoms again today but remembered the advice in the book and am working through it

bubbleblitt
29-03-08, 15:02
just an update-I woke up this morning and didn't have a panic attack! I'm reading the book and following the advice and so far so good!