PDA

View Full Version : Play Drums!

Granty
26-03-08, 11:48
I do - it's great!! :yesyes:

Seriously it completely takes my mind off everything like nothing else other than what I'm trying to get each limb to do!

I don't mean knocking lumps out of a kit as stress relief - I can't play my kit due to space and noise restrictions.

I mean I sit in front of the telly with two sticks and either a rubber practice pad or just hit my legs (not too hard!!)

No joke - trying to co-ordinate four limbs into a steady pattern means you have no time to think about anything else even if you wanted to.

Try this exercise:-

Count to 4: - 1, 2, 3, 4

Leave a second or two between each digit.

Tap your left hand on your left knee on every digit ie 4 times, in time with the count. (This replicates keeping time on a hi-hat cymbal)

Then, at the same time, tap your right foot on 1 and 3. (this represents the bass drum)

Now tap your right hand on 2 and four (this represents the snare drum)

All the time keeping your left hand going 1, 2, 3 & 4.

If you want to get really flash tap your left foot on 2 and 4 also. (this represents the hi-hat pedal)

This is harder than it sounds!!!

Congratulations, you can now play drums along to approximately 80% of any popular music on the radio today!!!

Another good one for concentrating the mind is called a Paradiddle!

The Paradiddle is eight beats ie 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4

The pattern just uses hands for now.

It goes thus:

Left, Right, Left, Left, Right, Left, Right, Right.

(pa), (ra), (did),(dle), (pa), (ra), (did), (dle)

Try doing this as fast as you can without going out of time!

Again, harder than it sounds! Your instinct is to alternate your hands rather than double hit the third and fourth beats with the same hand - to get really smart play your right foot on the first beat (the 'pa' of paradiddle - each syllable of the word represents a beat)

Even if you don't have a clue what I'm on about I bet you've forgotten how your feeling after reading this long-winded post :winks:

honeybee3939
26-03-08, 22:54
Hi Granty

Lovely to hear the drum techniques works well for you hun.:hugs:

I have just been giving it a go(on my legs) and i must admit its quite relaxing. Im not too good at Rhythm but i geuss practice makes perfect!:yesyes:

Thanks for sharing.:)

Andrea
xxxxx

nomorepanic
26-03-08, 23:51
I used to play the drums as my dad played in a band so taught me. I won a talent contest playing them once!!

I moved on to piano but I am rubbish at it but I do like to tinker on it lol

Jaco45er
27-03-08, 07:58
NMP band then, we got a good drummer, a dodgy piano player, and I play guitar that sounds better when you have had a few.

All we need is a bass player, a singer, and we are off.

And I thought of it, so I am the band leader, we will be called the Jaco45er's, end off

Agreed? good, I would hate to have a Gallagher brother's style fallout before we start our 1st gig.

Right, who wants to be a roadie?

Lilith1980
27-03-08, 09:39
I could have a go at screeching through the mic ;)

Failing that I'm good at carrying stuff and plugging cables in lol

Jo xxxxx

Granty
27-03-08, 10:35
Hi Jaco45er -

If Nicola won a talent contest playing drums then it looks like i've just lost the gig!!:blush: :D

honeybee3939
27-03-08, 11:09
LOL Jaco

What a fab idea, i actually can play the violin and was in the school orchestra many years ago:blush: . Im not saying i am much good (sounds a bit like a screeching noise to be honest) but hey alot of the groups around today sound very much the same..lol....

Im all for joining the group i have my violin some-where will go dig it out and get some practising done.:wacko:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

nomorepanic
27-03-08, 19:54
Granty

I think Jaco has put me on the piano so your position is safe!

nomorepanic
28-03-08, 00:40
My best attempt is here.....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/kr375023.mid

honeybee3939
28-03-08, 00:45
Lol Nic........is it my pc or are you playing the piano with broken strings i cant hear anything !!

Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
28-03-08, 00:50
Oh you need some sort of player to listen Andy lol

Or you have the sound down on your PC

honeybee3939
28-03-08, 00:51
LOL Is it "silent night" you are tinkling?

xxxxxx

nomorepanic
28-03-08, 00:54
can anyone hear it?

Jaco45er
28-03-08, 07:25
It's 6:17 am and I am off to work Nic. I don't want to ruin my day so I will listen when I get back home ;)

I might dust off the guitar and send one in too.

OK, lets have auditions, bass players and singers and dodgy violin players please send in your mp3/midi clips to Jaco (aka Simon Cowell) and Nic (aka Sharon Osbourne) and Chalky (aka Ozzy Osbourne).

Roadie's? if you are female just send in a picture.

I can see us playing stadiums in no time (if we break in when they are empty).

Jaco (AKA a cross between Dave Grohl and Gene Hunt)

weeble40
28-03-08, 12:28
I can play the flute ( pardon the punn )

can i be in your band

if all else fails I'll play groupie

Emma xxx

Lilith1980
28-03-08, 14:23
We can be the new Jethro Tull!

Wembley, here we come ;)

Jo xxxxx

shoegal
29-03-08, 06:19
I can't hear anything either Nic.

Can I be a tap dancing band member? I once tap danced on a record for Norman Wisdom. You laugh but I'm not kidding.

Shoegal xxx

pink daisy
29-03-08, 19:20
I can hear it Nic, it's Fur elise by Beethoven.. Great so we have One good piano player and the rest of the band are Deaf!! lol

I would like to be Go Go dancer!! If u can still get them lmao or a groupie I dont mind.

nomorepanic
29-03-08, 19:28
Oh glad someone can hear it lol

You like the bum notes i played then

Granty
31-03-08, 09:27
Great - I'm loving the 'cyber' band idea!!

P.S. Star - i'd be delighted to give you some online lessons!

Do you want a note of my e-mail?

Granty
21-05-08, 11:19
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn't want to post an inappropriate one on here!

I need someone who lives in the Central Belt of Scotland who is a keyboard whizz and who would like to join a Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band tribute act!

You don't have to love the music but it helps! Me and the singer are enthusiastic enough Springsteen fans for everyone!

We have a singer and rhythm guitarist, sax player, bassist, drummer (moi!) and ideally would have a pianist and keyboard player but could get away with one for the majority of the songs.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be, then please let me know.

This is a serious venture not a joke!, we are the first and only Boss tribute in Scotland and are looking to start gigging at the end of the summer if we can complete the line up.

"We learned more from a 3 minute record baby than we ever learnt in school" The Boss

Granty
21-05-08, 11:33
Sorry, we also have a lead guitarist!

Tom_M
21-05-08, 12:47
I used to be a bass player in my teens. Never made on stage though as I was too scared :weep:.

Tom

Granty
21-05-08, 13:36
First, and only!, time I played live I was bricking it big style.

The buzz you get when you finish more than makes up for it!!

maddie
21-05-08, 15:18
Wonderful! Can't do it for the life of me. Only just managed to get right foot and left hand going! I can see why you can't think of anything else.
My daughter has a drum kit & has taken Grade exams. It sounded like a lot of noise to me - didn't know it was so hard.

Granty
21-05-08, 16:30
Yes! I thought there would be nothing to it when I started as well!

Thing is, I've tried guitar in the past and just didn't have the patience but something with drumming just 'clicked' for me - I love it!

some of the hardest stuff to do is latin and african rhythms - seriously brain mangling stuff!!