PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine..?

tracyp584
22-03-05, 14:28
Hey,

I have been taking citalopram for over 3 weeks, and have felt so dreadful, that it has made me go backwards. Talking to my gp today, he is changing my tablets to mirtazapine. Has anyone had any experience on them?
I have just looked through other posts, and seen messages of how the tablet knocks you out, and helps with sleeping. I never had that problem anyway, and weight gain......? oh great.

tracy x x

sal
22-03-05, 14:56
Hi Tracy

Sorry that you feel citalopram hasnt worked for you. I tried mirtazapine but it didnt suit me where citalopram has. It is supposed to be a very good medication.

Lets hope it suits you and you start to feel a lot better soon.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

seh1980
22-03-05, 17:39
I have heard that it is a very good med though I have never been on it myself :D

cazziep
22-03-05, 22:13
I have been having some side effects with Citalopram.

My CPN suggested that, if they don't resolve, I should try Mirtazapine, as I can suffer from insomnia.

All I know is that it can cause drowsiness. However, I used to take Dothiepin for its sedative effects and they wore off after a while. I think I was drowsy for a couple of weeks.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific about Mirtazapine, but I wish you all the best and hope it works for you. [:X]

Love and hugs

Caz xx

tattybear
23-03-05, 08:21
Hi

I fist started on Citalopram and was on them for about a month but the side effects were horrible and my mood just went down and I was still not sleeping.

My pshychiatrist then changed my tablets to Matezipan (soltab) which is what you are now on, and these have helped so much with my sleeping which helps!

I was taking them directly as i went to bed, but was advised to take about 1 - 2 hours before hand and after about an hour after taking them i become so drowsy its an effort to get up the stairs to bed!! But i definatly get loads more sleep .

I was on the lower dosage to start (15mg) im now on the highest (45mg). Ive found sometimes im not sleeping as well esp if i take the tablets a bit later and go to bed later. I seem to sleep better if i take them at about 9, then im usually sound asleep but 10 - 10.30 with no trouble.

They have helped also with my mood but not as much as i expected...but I think i need counselling and anxiety managment also to help with that, I cant just rely on the tablets.

Since ive been depressed I have put on a bit of weight (slightly) but i think thats cos i have been comfort eating, I dont think its down t my meds.

Oh my god ive just realised how long this post is!!! [:I]

Take care...let me know how your getting on with the tablets..what dosage are you on?

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
23-03-05, 18:42
Hi Tatty,

My dosage is 30mg, and i'm taking the first one tonight, as i had to have a day off citalopram first. Thanks for your message, its so nice to talk to someone thats been on them. I'm such a worrier when it comes to tablets!! Nice to get an opinion!!

tracy x x

tattybear
23-03-05, 19:54
Hi Tracy

I worry about relying on them too....its sounds silly but im panicking about coming off them and whether im gonna have withdrawal symptoms, I dont know of anyone whoes been on and come off these and how it went.

Good luck with the tables...im gonna take mine ina bit as i want an early nite! (god im so sad!)

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
23-03-05, 20:10
Thanks Tatty,

I just being reading leaflet.......... which i know is never good!! but it says all about helping people with sleep disorders.... the thing is that's never been a problem of mine, and i'm worried that they're gonna knock me put a bit?

tracy x x

tattybear
23-03-05, 20:16
My phsychiatrist put me on these tablets mainly because I was having so much trouble sleeping.

These do definatly help with that and after an hour of taking them im usually quite zonked out.

Im sure they wouldnt have put you on them if they didnt think they were suitable.

But if you find they do knock you out then just go back and explain this and im sure they'll be able to try you on somthing else ?

I am on the highest dose which is prob why they make me so sleepy after taking them, I dont think I got so zonked before when taking the lower dosage...but everyone is different with each tablet.

Stick with it for a while, you dont have to take these ones til nealy bed time any way so it shouldnt effect you too much cos if i go out round someones for the evening and dont get in til late, i then take my tablets then go to bed, and i find Im not really zonked in the mornings, just after taking them.

Let me know how you get on.

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
23-03-05, 20:19
Thanks Tatty,

Fingers crossed everything will be cool, and will let ya know tomorrow! Thanks for your help,

tracy x x

tattybear
23-03-05, 20:21
No worries hun [^]

Hope you get on ok with them let me know how you are 2morro.

Im now off to have a bath then go to bed! [|)]

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
24-03-05, 13:35
Hey Tatty,

Just to let you know had first tab last night, and boy, it zonked me out! Also, found it SO hard to wake up this morning. Didn't take tablet until 9.30, so maybe i'll take it a bit earlier tonight.
It is such a relief to not wake up feeling so sick, like i was on citalopram so thats one good thing!!

tracy x x

tattybear
25-03-05, 09:10
Hiya

Glad you were ok taking them - i was the same with citalopram...woke up with wot felt like a hangover each morning!!

But ive been fine with matazepine.....yeah maybe try taking them a bit earlier and then maybe you wont find it so hardto wake in the morning...I found it hard at first but then got into a routine and its all good now!

Tatty B xx

bluebottle
25-03-05, 09:12
Just me careful that because these tablets help with your sleep that you don't ignore their ability to help with your depression. They are after all an anti-depressant.

Regards,

Blue
--
"If I never take this leap of faith I'll never know
So I'm learning to fall with no safety net to cushion the blow"

http://workplacebullying.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/enigmapark/

tracyp584
25-03-05, 10:26
hey Blue,

I see what you are saying, and i won't. I'm just happy for once to take them and see how i go. It is just such a relief to feel ok in mornings, which i just wasn't doing on citalopram.

tracy x x

tattybear
25-03-05, 20:49
Hi Blue

I definatly agree. But i was struggling with sleep which made it harder for me to cope, so luckily i seem to be sleeping and coping with things better, so im slowly but surly getting over it :D

Tatty B xx

sal
25-03-05, 22:34
Hi Tracy

Reading your post, i hope that these work for you and give you the support you need to get back on track. All medication suits some and not others.

Hope you carry on the not also sleep but gain the benefits from them through your everyday life.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

tracyp584
26-03-05, 13:59
Hi Sal,

Thanks! Just to let you know, today is day 3, and i am already feeling less sleepy in the morning. Now i've worked out when to take them in the evening, i am feeling better.
I am so looking forward to gaining the benefits from them now, as i desperately want to get back to living a normal day to day life!

Thanks for your continued support, and congrats on the promotion!!

tracy x x

tattybear
26-03-05, 14:19
Hi Tracy,

Really glad youve settled on these tablets....Its quite easy to get used to them and into a routine.

My good days def out way my bad on these tablets whereas on citalopram I didnt feel any difference.

Really glad your positive as well about the future - I cant wait to be able to live a normal life agian!

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
26-03-05, 14:27
Tatty,

Thanks. I'm glad too.! Its amazing how awful i felt on citalopram, the day i stopped taking them i couldn't beleive the difference. I'm so glad i decided to try another med, as every tablet affects everyone differently. I nearly didn't try these ones.
So, 'normal' life, get ready for me!

tracy x x

tattybear
26-03-05, 14:49
Lol

Good for you Tracy.....:D

Tatty B xx

tracyp584
27-03-05, 12:37
Hey!

Me again!, I have found since being on the med, i have the most bizarre vivid dreams. Just wondering if they tend to ease off after bit, or is this just a kind of side effect?
Last night I found myself half dreading going to sleep. as the dreams are so real.

tracy x x

tattybear
28-03-05, 12:56
Hi Tracy

At first I wasnt really having vivid dreams, but ive been on the tablets now for about 3 months and I get vivid dreams 3 / 4 times a week..but I was fine in the begining.

You should mention it to the doctor next time, As it could be a side effect, but then again I did have vivid dreams before being on these which could be down to the depression and anxiety.

Try not to worry about going to sleep because its qute likely if you think you're gonna have a bad dream when you go to bed that you will because you're already thinking this before you sleep.

Let me know how you get on

x

Tatty B xx

janamba
22-05-05, 10:59
Mirtazapine doesn't work for panic for most people so always remember that.