PDA

View Full Version : Prozac

kaz79
27-03-08, 09:41
Ive been prescribed prozac, but is it supposed to help anxiety and panic attacks as this is my main problem??

bab
27-03-08, 13:20
kAZ

This is me - I have terrible panic and anxiety and I started prozac last week and I think its making me worse. have u started yours?

pooh
27-03-08, 14:47
hi i think prozac is also fluoxetine by another name? I've been on it for two weeks for panic and anxiety and depression. My doc also prescribed diazepam for two weeks to counteract any immediate negative effects of the fluoxetine. apparently its completely normal to feel a little worse till you feel better. Hang in there its a common drug prescribed(i believe) for the panic and anxiety. There are great links to the left which can provide lots of info on medications.
Sometimes you have to hang in there and weather a bit of a storm before the calm.

Pooh x

kaz79
27-03-08, 16:02
I havent started it yet. I have to wait 2 weeks as I have been taking st. johns wort. Im dreading it.:weep:

bab
27-03-08, 21:39
I used to be on citalopram and was dreading going on prozac (fluoxetine). This is day 9 and my anxiety is heightened but I think that happens before u feel better. I was worried cos they say citalopram and seroxat is for anxiety and prozac is for depression its so hard to know who to believe

nomorepanic
27-03-08, 22:17
Proaz helped my depression but never touched the panic and anxiety so I gave it up after 9 months - despite the doctor saying that it would help eventually.

I think 9 months was enough to prove it wasn't going to work !

kaz79
28-03-08, 07:34
I dont know whether to start it now. Ive heard about a drug called buspar which seems ideal. I dont know why my gp didnt try me with that.

bab
21-04-08, 12:49
I came off the prozac last week which was my 4 week on it - felt like a zomboe - couldnt stop crying and had loads of derealisation when you feel your not really here. i rand doc and she said stop it immediatley. im confused as i went back to see he rtoday and she said try it again and up the dose!!!

i dont think its good for panic and thats my problem. sometimes i think the docs just dismiss us and think everything is anxiety instead of a side effect.

bab
21-04-08, 12:50
have just noticed my spelling is terrible in that post - will be worrying about that now