PDA

View Full Version : Restricted access to chat room

nomorepanic
29-03-08, 14:42
Today we have introduced restricted access to chat in that you MUST have been a member for more than 5 days and done a post on the forum before being allowed in chat.

This will be increasing to 30 days in the next couple of days but was put in as an emergency action tonight following some recent problems in chat.

This, we hope, is a positive step forward and is in no way intended to prevent people getting into chat when they need instant help. We are merely hoping to stop people who are creating logins just to go in and disrupt chat for genuine users.

We will monitor this closely to see if it helps prevent some of the problems we get in chat with new members.

bottleblond
10-05-08, 18:28
Thanks Nic!! Fingers crossed all goes well now!!

Lisa
xxxx

jodie
10-05-08, 20:44
thanks nic

i am sure this is a good move forward and things will be right in no time

jodie xxx

kazzie
11-05-08, 15:39
Nice one Nic:yesyes:

Kaz x

The Fool
13-05-08, 18:04
cool idea i think it will be good for newbies to get a feel for the site and waht you guys do first then there will hopefully be no more upsets

diane07
13-05-08, 19:01
Sounds like a good idea.

Fingers are soooooooooooooooooo crossed

Di xx

Mystical
23-05-08, 01:55
HI there Nic,

I'd go for a half-way point, something like 14 days.... I feel that 30 days might well put people off, even those in real need and the chat is after all a most valuable aspect of NMP. Also it is important to remember that one on one chat support is what people new to the site are seeking when come looking, not necessarily to be prepared to write an essay. Indeed there are some who find stringing more than a few words together most difficult and I doubt whether they would partake much in forums. Once the dust settles I'm sure a new perspective will present itself and you will see matter from a different viewpoint too! Sad if a few dissenters won the day, after all... wouldn't it ? Mystically yours, hoping that tact and recourcefulness win the day instead. To fall prone to errror is human: to forgive unreservedly if most definitely divine.

samc100
23-05-08, 08:55
Having seen the disruption the Chatroom has caused this forum over the few years I have been on this forum. And seen the hard work Nic and her happy team of Mods have had to do to straighten it all out once an incident has occured in Chatroom - I think the 30 days is deffo worth a go for their sanity as well as those using chatroom.

In fact I am often amazed that Nic keeps the Chatroom function running as it must have turned her hair grey by now.

Mystical - no essay is necessary to write on the forum and often help can be found by scanning and searching previous posts by those suffering from similiar issues and symptoms. It is sad that chatroom has to be so tightly monitored but that's a result of misuse by idiots that have to be deterred....

nomorepanic
28-05-08, 22:45
We have left it at 5 days and so far I think it is working well!

Mystical
29-05-08, 00:24
Hi there Nicola,

Glad it is working itself out; my only concern was for those people with acute issues and therefore with need for instant access to chat support. Also for those individuals with either a low take-up of the written word or whom are unable to string more than a few words together and close to illiterate.

I have also - as have others - noticed an increase in staff and a decrease in members after midnight; this in the main because they are located hours behind GMT and therefore it is still early for them to be connecting to the web.

Hope it comes together and stays together!!

:hugs: Mystically yours....

IrishPrincess
29-05-08, 01:14
Thanks for the hard work guys and thank you to all the lovely open-minded people on here and in chat

Pink Panic
29-05-08, 09:34
Hi

I'd like to think that if any of the new members were greatly in need of a 1 to 1 chat prior to their acceptance into the Chat Room then by posting on the Forum one of the existing members could talk to them on MSN or one of the other Instant Messaging Services that most of us have...... or even using pm's.

Also for those individuals with either a low take-up of the written word or whom are unable to string more than a few words together and close to illiterate.

:hugs: Mystically yours....

Mystical - I think these individuals would struggle in the Chat Room anyways as i know i find it hard to keep up on the rare occassion that i go in there and i used to be an avid internet chatter in the past :blush:
So perhaps the Forum would actually be the best place for them.

Glad it's working well so far Nic .... fingers crossed it continues.

Pink
xxx

SAMKIRMAN
13-06-08, 11:10
i think it good idea but please i been a member for years and every few days its telling me i need to post and will lnot let me in i do post when i can please advise

eeyorelover
13-06-08, 13:03
Not sure why that is.
I'll ask about it and get back with you ASAP :)
xxx
Sandy

nomorepanic
13-06-08, 18:12
What browser are you using to connect to here?

SAMKIRMAN
23-06-08, 11:27
not got a clue lol

nomorepanic
23-06-08, 12:00
Well how do you get on NMP - you must open something up to get to the website?

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 14:05
if its a standard windows xp system no updates it will be IE 6 i have seen there is a lot of memeber like that Nic can i suject getting a script that checks the browser then you know the most commen ones.
i think VB as a admin bit for that or addon.

kathyanne
18-10-08, 13:00
I have been a member for over five days but still can't get access to the 'chat rooms;... HELP

Kathy

nomorepanic
18-10-08, 13:04
It depends what the message is when you try to access it?

Have a look at the technical threads under the chat room forum for more help as well.

Mystical
03-06-09, 03:35
Glad to see that with memyself movd to monitor - after all - she does work thru some nights - that more pple are coming in and staying for a time to talk things thru'.. which can't always be easy when they are in a state of anxiety at the time; we do try to nurture a feeling of safety and support and hope they can trust us to help em thru' the panicky stuff, but really do wish that more help was there for those with more serious Health Anxiety issues their lives are disrupted by..... Mystically yours - Stu_UK

Tomfromdelmonte
25-08-11, 10:22
ive been a member for a week and i still cant get on the chat room

mikewales
25-08-11, 10:56
Tom, you have access to the chatroom, if you are having problems logging in you may need to update your Java on your PC

nomorepanic
25-08-11, 11:12
and allow pop-ups

gypcyg
29-03-13, 20:55
Where is the quiz room? Any chance I could be allowed in this Saturday?

Pipkin
29-03-13, 21:02
Where is the quiz room? Any chance I could be allowed in this Saturday?

Gary,

The quiz is held in a chat room which is set up specifically for the quiz on Saturday nights. I'll PM you about the access.

Pip

pandaaa
08-06-13, 18:26
I feel like I need to speak to people so badly. 5 days feels like an eternity to me right now.

PanchoGoz
08-06-13, 18:30
You can, with posts and PMs.

moonlight1974
25-06-13, 09:55
sounds like a good idea restricting chat till us newbies get the hang of it. You dont give a 3 year old a pocket knife. ;)