PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Panic Naturally

lwohlgemuth
29-03-08, 16:05
I discovered that a great deal of panic attacks (mine included) are due to a magnesium deficiency. This is easy to resolve, however there is a "healing crisis" through which you must traverse. This means you will retreat back through your symptoms as you heal. Fortunately they are much less severe during the healing than they were as you became more magnesium deficient.

Magnesium is a water soluable nutrient whose only toxicity symptom is loose stools. Therefore you can continue to increase your consumption without concern until you hit toxicity. Once you do then you simply reduce your intake until signs of toxicity disappear and stay at that level until they return. Then simply lower the dosage again.

Use a quality magnesium such as Magnesium glycinate or cytrate. Better still I have found a product called Natural Calm which is an effervescent powder you mix in hot water and drink like tea. The downside of this product is that it is pricy, but the upside is that it is the most readily absorbale magnesium on the market. I chose not to scrimp. Avoid magnesium oxide and hydroxide as they are virtually unabsorbale. You can read about the magnesium I chose here:

http://www.petergillham.com/product-line/peter-gillhams-natural-calm.php

There are several B vitamins which can mitigate panic as well. Here is a list:

B-complex—(mega - dose)
Niacin
Vitamin B-6 + B-12
Pantothenic acid

These have benefits for your heart and blood pressure as well. You can read about them at this website (the site is selling a product that combines all these nutrients, however it is much cheaper to buy them separately and mange your own dosages).

D:\Magnesium\Calming Balance Cure Anxiety While Staying Calm and Energized!.mht

Also niacin can cause flushing, that is a rush of blood into the capillaries as it is a vaso-dillator. This can cause you to feel hot and even to have needles and pins sensations. Do not be alarmed, it will subside in about 10-15 minutes.

To handle episodic symtoms this site also speaks about amino acids and herbs which you can use (which I also use and find very effective; once again I buy them all separately and manage my own dosages):

Theanine--This is an amino acid which comes from green tea and works superbly. Relief begins in about 15 minutes and lasts several hours.

Passion Flower Extract

Magnolia

Additionally I take 50 mg of 5-HTP whenever I feel symptoms coming on and I get relief within about 15-20 minutes. 5-HTP increases the body's production of seratonin and makes you naturally feel better. This is the same amino acid metabolite you get from eating turkey and it works great.

The magnesium is the big one. Magnesium deficiency is the number one deficiency in America today. More than 300 bio-chemical reactions in the body rely upon sufficient levels of magnesium. Chronic, long-term deficienies can result in other, more serious medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke. It is also implicated in a whole laundry list of other health issues faced in America and industrialixed nations today. Here is a partial list of maladies confirmed to be caused or exacerbated by magnesium deficiencies:

Deficiency (from low dietary intake or excess loss) is clinically associated with:

ADD/ADHD

Alzheimer's

Angina

Anxiety disorders

Arrhythmia

Arthritis- Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis

Asthma

Autism

Auto immune disorders- all types

Cavities

Cerebral Palsy- in children from magnesium deficient mothers

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Congestive Heart Disease

Constipation

Crooked teeth- narrow jaw- in children from magnesium deficient mothers

Depression

Diabetes- Type I and II

Eating disorders- Bulimia, Anorexia

Fibromyalgia

Gut disorders- including peptic ulcer, Crohn's disease, colitis, food allergy

Heart Disease- Arteriosclerosis, high cholesterol, high triglycerides

Heart Disease- in infants born to magnesium deficient mothers

High Blood Pressure

Hypoglycemia

Impaired athletic performance

Infantile Seizure- in children from magnesium deficient mothers

Insomnia

Kidney Stones

Lou Gehrig's Disease

Migraines- including cluster type

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Multiple Sclerosis

Muscle cramps

Muscle weakness, fatigue

Myopia- in children from magnesium deficient mothers

Obesity- especially obesity associated with high carbohydrate diets

Osteoporosis- just adding magnesium reversed bone loss

Parkinson's Disease

PMS- including menstrual pain and irregularities

PPH- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension

Raynaud's

SIDS- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

Stroke

Syndrome X- insulin resistance

Thyroid disorders- low, high and auto-immune; low magnesium reduces T4

Other conditions are also associated with chronic and acute low magnesium intake and further research is continuing to confirm relationships.

The following substances and conditions reduce total body magnesium

Alcohol- all forms cause significant losses
Amphetamines/Cocaine
Burns- with large surface area
Calcium- high levels block magnesium absorption
Carbohydrates- especially white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white flour
Chronic pain- any cause
Coffee- significant losses
Cyclosporin- extra magnesium can protect from side-effects
Diabetes- magnesium spills with sugar in the urine
Diarrhea- any cause
Dieting- stress plus lowered intake
Diuretics- even potassium sparing diuretics do not spare magnesium
Insulin- whether from using insulin or from hyperinsulinemia
Over-training- extreme athletic physical conditioning/training
Phentermine / Fenfluramine
Sodas- especially cola type sodas, both diet and regular
Sodium- high salt intake
Stress- physical and mental- anything that gets your fight or flight reaction
Surgery
Sweat
You can see that adequate levels of magnesium are critical to good health and just may be the answer to your panic disorder. It has worked for me, and I hope it does for you, too. Be ready to spend several months ompleting the process, but you will see results almost immediately.

Larry

PUGLETMUM
29-03-08, 16:17
:) i went to the site but cant see how you purchase it - plus also dont know if they ship to the uk? otherwise looks like a good product and would like to try it, emma:winks:

lwohlgemuth
29-03-08, 16:25
He does not sell it from his site I don't think. Just find a vitamin supplier in the UK and see if they have it. If not magnesium glycinate will work very well.

Good luck

PUGLETMUM
29-03-08, 16:30
:D okay coz i wasnt very pleased to see that my current magnesium supplement is hydroxide:shrug: so i will switch to glycinate asap:yesyes: thankyou

sagey
30-03-08, 00:59
I've been taking Wassen Magnesium - B (combined with vit B complex and Vit C.) which is from Boots, probably also available at other reatailers.

PUGLETMUM
31-03-08, 09:38
:) does that contain the correct form of magnesium sagey?

Tony1980
31-03-08, 12:11
I've just bought some Wassen Magnesium-B from Boots on the advice here so I'll give it a go for a while and keep you updated on any sort of progress on my panic attacks.