PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine MR

ncowan
29-03-08, 20:25
Hi

I'm currently taking 375mg a day and have been gradually increasing the dose over 7 months.......I've found it amazing.....it is the only ad I've ever been on that's actually helped me. Don't get me wrong I still have the odd down day but never as bad as before....however, was just wondering if anyone else is on a dose this high? My blood pressure etc. is being monitored by my gp.

I know I will need to cut down in a few months and this isn't worrying me but I can't see the need for it when I'm doing so well........I really don't want to relapse again.

I do seem to need high doses of all medicines to get them to work (I'm a larger lady!) and think due to my size (my hubby has just said this sounds like 50 stone and I'm not!) that I need the higher dose.

Any comments would be appreciated.....no idea how I've gone to itallics...

Thanks
Nicola

Leese
10-12-09, 22:27
Hi Nicola. I have been perscribed 75mg 1 a day Venlafaxine today and im scared of taking them :-( Im 22 and only 4'11.... I have anxiety all the time and wish for help but i have had tablets that made me feel awful for a while. Im scared these are going to make me feel depressed or ill... i just read they can cause suicidal thoughts, now i am s**ting myself :( x Please give me your opinion x

erin31
11-12-09, 17:07
I was on this for years and it really helped me. It did have many side effects but the benefits outweighed the draw backs by far. I started at 37.5mg and crept up to 225mg which was the highest dose I was ever on.
The really horrible thing for me was the withdrawal when I came off them. The first few weeks when I stopped were quite horrendous and there are still days when I am tempted to take them again. But I was on them for a long, long time!
I do not remember having any side effects when I first started with them and if I remember correctly they started to work for me within days.
Don't be afraid. If they don't work or make you feel worse stop them again.
Let us know how you get on :hugs:

ElizabethJane
11-12-09, 18:06
Hi Nicola I am not taking venlafaxine but I have been on dothiepin at 175mg. This was increased once to 200mg but I couldn't tolerate it. If your psychiatrist/GP is seeing you regularily and monitoring your blood pressure then you should be ok. They don't want you to become ill again and are probably waiting for you to have a few months when the depression lifts slightly before reducing the dose. I am very tall 5ft 11ins and have always need the full whack of an anti depressant for it to work efficiently. I am very slender. Don't feel guilty about needing the higher dose. Your doctor would not leave you on it if he did not feel it was benefitial to you. I am taking lithium 1,000mg and mirtazapine. I have not heard of size making any difference to prescribing. Elderly people need less of an anti depressant for it to be effective.

KK77
11-12-09, 19:02
I have never been on venlafaxine but I know that up to 375mg can be used in cases where the usual maximum dose of 225mg is not effective. However, doctors don't usually keep patients on this dose for very long because of the long-term risks involved. So once you've been stabilised the dose is decreased to "maintenance-dose" level. This doesn't mean you'll relapse though.

I'm not aware that size really matters regarding the dose but some people are more sensitive to medication than others. I was on paroxetine for many years and when my doctor tried to increase the dose I had terrible side effects. Just 10mg increase made a big difference for me. Remaining at the lowest effective dose is the sensible way forward.

smoochie
11-12-09, 23:29
Hi Nicola. I have been perscribed 75mg 1 a day Venlafaxine today and im scared of taking them :-( Im 22 and only 4'11.... I have anxiety all the time and wish for help but i have had tablets that made me feel awful for a while. Im scared these are going to make me feel depressed or ill... i just read they can cause suicidal thoughts, now i am s**ting myself :( x Please give me your opinion x

Hey im 23 and 4'11 and i literally just took my first venfax tonight, i was pretty scared also about taking them, side effects really worry me, especially the suicidal risks however you are only prone to those thoughts if you were ALREADY prone to this kind of thinking (feeling suicidal etc) as long as u are recieving counselling to u will be ok, a lot of these side effects only last for the first couple of weeks while ur body adjusts so go for it and take a chance with them, due to my height and weight i have started on the lowest and will go up to 75mg a day in a week, with this kind of dose to ur side effects may not be so severe...dont worry they literally have to write down EVERYTHING that has happened to anyone on these meds to cover themselves so they arent sued, u may only feel 2 side effects! good luck :)

Kirsty x

reallyfedup
14-12-09, 11:58
Hey im 23 and 4'11 and i literally just took my first venfax tonight, i was pretty scared also about taking them, side effects really worry me, especially the suicidal risks however you are only prone to those thoughts if you were ALREADY prone to this kind of thinking (feeling suicidal etc) as long as u are recieving counselling to u will be ok, a lot of these side effects only last for the first couple of weeks while ur body adjusts so go for it and take a chance with them, due to my height and weight i have started on the lowest and will go up to 75mg a day in a week, with this kind of dose to ur side effects may not be so severe...dont worry they literally have to write down EVERYTHING that has happened to anyone on these meds to cover themselves so they arent sued, u may only feel 2 side effects! good luck :)

Kirsty x

Escitalopram made me suicidal. I have never been or had any suicidal thoughts prior to this and am not predisposed to this kind of thinking so I'm not sure where your advice about these thoughts came from. A psychiatrist took me off escit and these thoughts went away. I have been on venlafaxine since July.....it's the best I've had so far. Good luck, but if you don't feel right on them then there will be another drug out there that will suit you.