PDA

View Full Version : I start new job Monday need advice... *very scared*

Oceana9518
30-03-08, 00:28
Hey guys, i start work on Monday for the first time since december ( since being sacked for something i didnt do). Ive been reading clare weekes book which is helping. But im still very nervous about starting work, new place, new people, new layout/location. I get scared im gonna get ill when im at work and they arent gonna let me go home, or im gonna be sick in front of everyone. I have this fear of being ill in front of people. It scares me so much. The wierd thing is, its a circle, i panick, and the nausea is both a symptom and a cause of the anxiety, the cause because im almost expecting something to happen. I know the first day is usually pretty relaxed but i still have that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Also ive been on citlopram, ( been on it for 3 years, came off it , then i lost job and relapsed, back on it now for about 6 weeks now) just been feeling really down, thinking things like whats the point in life, you work all your life, then die, woo hoo. Brilliant. Im being so negative about life, i dont feel suicidle as such, just think is there much point me being here? Is there really anything for me on this earth? Has anyone else had/have this? Does it get better? Maybe its the citalopram ? I keep telling my self once i start work and get occupied with it the thoughts will disolve. But im so scared about starting monday. Any advice?
Love to you all xxxx:scared15: :unsure: :weep: :wacko:

Emma
xxxxx

weeble40
30-03-08, 13:32
Hi Emma I dont have any miricle answers for you , but I just wanted to wish you all the very best for monday I'm sure you will be fine, you'll make lots of new friends they will understand your a little nervous at first they dont have to know anything else unless you choose to tell them

Good Luck Stoney

Love Emma xxx

andie73
30-03-08, 15:11
Hi Emma

When I started my job three years ago I had been on the sick for five years. It was really really hard but once you get through the door and get first hour or so over I'm sure you'll relax a bit. The feeling you will get when you complete your first day will be great. I had major migraine by the time I got home but I was soooo pleased with myself. I'm still in the same job and still get nervous at work but people are used to me and my weird ways now. I used to be really self conscious coz my face tends to go bright red when I panic but now I just tell people and to be honest it doesn't get the reaction I always feared. People are quite ok about it.

I have emmetephobia too and get in the very same vicious circle as you. Sometimes I don't know if the panic starts coz I feel sick or if I feel sick coz I'm anxious!!! What a nightmare. I have found that if I am feeling sickly at work extra strong mints are a god send. Rescue remedy helps with feeling sickly too( well for me).

I'm sure going back to work is probably what's making you feel so down coz it's fear of the unknown. You're probably thinking what if this happens, what if that happens, will people think I'm mad etc etc. Don't coz honestly anticipating the negatives will be making you worse. Try thinking what if that doesn't happen, what if I love the job and it is the best thing I ever did. How can you let anxiety that you're so used to feeling in all sorts of situations stop you from perhaps unlocking the door to greater confidence and happiness. The job does'nt have to be a super important one to give you all that back either. I just work in a coffee shop, and it's made a massive difference in my life. Mind you I will still be nervous tomorrow and not want to go, but I think if people were honest alot of folks feel that way.
GOOD LUCK

chalky
30-03-08, 15:14
Hi Emma,

Congratulations on getting a new job!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

Do what you have suggested already.Keep telling yourselves all the positives which will flow from this change in your life.
best wishes,
Chalky

andie73
31-03-08, 15:59
Hi Emma

How did the job go. Can't wait to find out. I've spent the day training someone and it was very stressful because I was out of my comfort zone and on show!!! Ahhhhhh!!!! Spent most of day with red face and felt a bit swimmy headed but got through it. Sure you were fine too!

H22
27-04-08, 22:56
Hi
I can relate with the 'why be here if this is life', and i was on citalopram when i had that feeling most.
I really think that citalopram made my depression come out into view. My anxiety properly started while i was at work, and i was petrified to be sick infront of people, kept running to the loo's or leaving work early. But at the end of the day im sad i quit because i went downhill after that, the worst that can happen is someone thinks your ill (with a stomach bug etc) and it will go away.
Walk into work feeling like you can take on teh world and you will, try bringing some rescue remedy with you or to bring some anti anxiety smelling oils, every little bit can help reduce your nerves.

And after all, like you said, the first day is usually relaxed and if you did feel sick they'd think it was nerves and be fine.

I hope it goes wel for yuo and sorry i cant be of more help xxx:hugs: