PDA

View Full Version : Hello

sueiamnew
23-03-05, 14:33
Hello everyone, i am new.
This is the best site I have found by far.
Im just finding my way around.i have had panics for four or five years..gone through the motions..drugs...counselling..what is the next cure? Sue

Karen
23-03-05, 14:34
Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum. Do tell us a bit more about your situation when you are ready and we will do what we can to help and support you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Tracy68
23-03-05, 14:35
Hi Sue
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and support from everyone here, its a great place and we're all friendly :D.
Take care
Tracy
x

carlin
23-03-05, 14:38
Hi Sue and welcome, i am sure you will find this site full of information and encouragement, and most of all, full of patient, kind and understanding people, most of who are going through or have been through the same as you, let us know what you are feeling, have a good look round the site and keep in touch, personally finding the site was the best thing i done in years, keep in touch xx

FAN
23-03-05, 15:56
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it really helpful

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

sueiamnew
23-03-05, 16:12
Hi, thankyou for replying.
I have been reading some of the stories and messages this afternoon, and am thrilled to have come across this site.
Im 31, and have been suffering with anxiety and panics for around 4-5 years. For a while last year, i felt i had recovered.
Then just before Christmas work was becoming stressful and to top it off i had a car crash. Since then, my panics have returned " a lot " and 2 out of 3 days i cant bring myself to drive to work. It is only 40 minutes drive away but i cant help panicking and feel unable to concentrate behind the wheel.
Obviously, my employers are quickly losing faith which is a worry in itself.
I have had the last 3 days off work as holiday so am feeling fairly relaxed today/having a "good" day, but i know i will make myself ill tomorrow when due back.
Thanks again for your replies,
Sue

seh1980
23-03-05, 16:26
hi Sue,

Welcome to the site!! I'm sure you'll get loads of support here.

Sarah :D

Laurie28
23-03-05, 16:29
Hi Sue,

Welcome to the site.

There is some great advice here and great people too.

Also alot of people have similiar anxieties when it comes to driving - I'm sure they will post soon

Lucky

kairen
23-03-05, 16:34
still finding my way around, thanks again everyone for the welcome. had panic attacks since i as 15, now35 !!!. at the time my doc, told me to pull myelf together and having told no-one else just thought i had too. at that age i thought i must be going mad. Didnt tell anyone and although now i have very good friends i still carry that (pull yourself together attitude) and find it hrd to talk about it. been on and off med for years have 2 children and work from home so feel like sometimes i'm not my own person. get very wound up about silly things that i know, tmrw i wont bothered about. totally irrational things but that just spiral out of control. been off citropram for 3 weeks at weepy stage. but determined to see this through thinking i've done this before i can do it again. been doing yoga which is a big help ad maybe you sould try it its is very relaxing, just trying to keep really postive, didnt even knowthis site was here, was jst looking up on net to see side affectsof med, there you go must be destiny xxxx

kairen x

della
23-03-05, 17:02
hi sue

welcome to the site, try to be positive about returning to work, as negative thought only fuel fear. Peolple on this site are very supportative, and i feel sure will offer you a helping hand if needed.

take care

della[:P]

tracyp584
23-03-05, 18:48
Hey Sue,

Welcome to the site. You will as i have get loads of support and advice here. I also suffer with panic and anxiety, and am currently going through a phase where i again can't face driving, even to the end of my road somedays. But with perserverance and some effort i know i will get there, and so will you!!

Take care

tracy x x

nomorepanic
23-03-05, 18:58
Hi Sue

Welcome aboard.

My problems are mainly in the car too. I do drive every day but I find it hard in road-works and traffic jams.

Try some of the techniques on the coping page on the website (www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping.htm) Loud music and singing works best for me.

The way forward is with small steps and tackling each issue in turn until you gain the confidence again.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

sal
23-03-05, 22:29
Hi Sue

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your problems, but after a crash it would take a lot of people to build up the courage to get back behind the wheel and you have although it has been hard.

I know it isnt easy but you have overcome panic and anxiety and i am sure with the support of this site you will do it again.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

sueiamnew
23-03-05, 22:36
Hi Sal,
i suppose thats why i have logged on....i havent overcome it at all.
Tomorrow i will give my job up because i cant stand driving....i am throwing my wages down the pan because all this gets to me.
Im sorry....i am not sure this is the site for me even though the msgs are helping.
Sue

sal
23-03-05, 22:41
But in time you will get through this, i cant say it will be easy but you will get a lot of support on here. Im sorry you dont feel the site is for you although the messages are helping.

Giving up your job is a big decision and you have obviously thought about it, as it will have a big affect on your life, and i would hate to think that exasperated your problems. Is there anywhere more local that you could look for employment.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

sueiamnew
23-03-05, 22:53
oh god it helps knowing there is someone there..it really does.....
the site is fantastic but i cant help feeling down reading the stories...

sal
23-03-05, 22:59
I know what you mean by what you are saying as sometimes you could think this or that that people are suffering could happen to you on top of your problems, but that is natural and wont happen.

You will get support hear and rather than letting peoples post make you feel down, appreciate them and realise that you are not alone and a lot of people on here are a lot worse off than we have even been.

Hope that makes some sense.

Love Sal xx

bubbles
24-03-05, 00:14
Sue,

Welcome!

Sorry you are feeling so anxious. Like many people here I suffer with the same problem. Everyone here understands how you feel, whatever the root causes of the anxiety the outcome, in terms of symptoms & the effect on everyday life, is always similar.
But it can & does get better with the right treatment & time & determination. You have already shown determination in going back to driving after your crash.

I hope that you will stay around & keep posting. You will get all the support you need. As Sal said, the positive side of reading others posts is that you know you are not alone & many people know exactly how you feel.

I wish you luck with your work & hope you are able to make whatever is the right decision for you at this moment.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

lisarose
24-03-05, 14:12
Hi Sue, Welcome to the site, everyone will support you through this. You are doing really well, and it is only natural to be anxious about driving after everything you have been through and you have done well to even get back in the car. Pleas edon't let this "blip" set you back to square one as you have already come so far. I can understand you wanting to give up your job as I did the same thing a couple of years ago as I had a return of my panic attacks but I really regret it now and am angry that i let them take over my life. You have to do what is right for you and only you can make that decision. We are all here for you when you need us so please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Take care
Love Lisaxx

sueiamnew
24-03-05, 23:10
Hi everyone,
I have only just allowed myself to log on!
You have made me feel a whole lot better - i mean that!
I went to work....i forced myself. But when i got there i totally freaked!
I have made such a fool of myself, my boss offered to drive me home because i was shaking/couldnt breathe etc. i had to leave my car!
I hate doing this in front of other people.
Sue

sal
24-03-05, 23:12
Hi Sue

That is a big fear of many of us freaking out and feeling like we are losing it in front of others and i think it goes down to the fact that we are afraid they dont understand.

Sorry today has been so hard on you, you should have logged on early when more people were around to help you through this. You are not alone.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
24-03-05, 23:22
Thankyou Sal,
I am just having a hard time of late, my partner tries his best to understand but he never will really, he is so strong minded.
Which i envy.
I was in negative mode last night...you lot are a blessing in disguise!
Love
Sue

sal
24-03-05, 23:24
Hi Sue

It is hard for partners to get to grips with how we feel and i know until i suffered working in the job i do i had no understanding whatsoever. He will always be there to help you though and you keep talking to him and telling him how you feel.

Hey dont worry about last night we all get nights like that where we want to chuck the towel in or not accept help but then we have days when we do want the support and on here we all totally understand that.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
24-03-05, 23:47
i felt so rubbish last night.......i thought i had probably lost your support for saying what i said....?
I feel a proper idiot for bowing out today....Well at least its good friday.

I really appreciate what you are doing here....

Sue

sal
24-03-05, 23:50
Sue

On here you can say what you want and you wont lose support. I know we talked last night and you felt disheartened but that didnt mean i was going to give up on you, i have been there too remember and know how hard it is.

Dont feel an idiot at all, if you had to go home from work with flu you wouldnt think twice about it but as it is anxiety it highlights it. You did what was right and you needed to go home and there is nothing more than that that needs to be judged.

Keep in touch and enjoy a long weekend away from work.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
25-03-05, 00:07
Hi Sal,
Im sorry if im being inconsiderate..
Im not sure of your story.....can i find on the homepage?

Sue

bubbles
25-03-05, 00:08
Sue,

You did well to attempt to go into work today & I'm really sorry that it didn't go too well when you got there. It feels awful when these things happen in front of people who we think won't understand. But you were unwell & had to go home, that's all anyone should see really.

Partners must have a hard time understanding if they've never had the same feelings. That's another reason why this site is such a great place to be part of---you can be whatever you are feeling here. You will still get help & support---from people who know exactly where you are coming from!

You did nothing wrong last night nor did you lose any support.
We all go through darker & brighter days--& it's great that you were able to post how you felt, that will help you in the end.

Hope you feel easier about last nights concerns.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

sal
25-03-05, 00:18
Sue

You are not been inconsiderate at all you are showing how you feel which is a good thing and like i said i am here to support you regardless of what you say.

Trust us that we wont let you down and rely on us as you need that at the moment. My problems need not affect you as you have many of your own that i want to help you with.

Dont apologise as there is no need at all hon.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
25-03-05, 00:32
Linda, Sal, it helps to talk?

sal
25-03-05, 10:45
Hi Sue

It is good to talk and there is always someone around the site that will help you if you are having a bad day.

Love Sal xx

sal
25-03-05, 23:48
Sue

Been thinking about you and how today has gone. Here if you want to talk. Dont want to pressure you at all but want you to know i am here if you need some support.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
26-03-05, 17:21
Hi Sal,
Thankyou for your message.
I had a bad day yesterday, we went to the local shop but when we got there i couldnt go in. Instead i sent my boyfriend in and i sat in the car thinking all sorts, he was 15 minutes - it felt like hours! You probably know what i mean.
In the back of my mind i knew i had to fetch my car back from work seeing as i had abandoned it on Thursday, i knew it would be safe if i left it there but i also knew i would panic even more all weekend if it wasn't on the drive incase i needed it.
So eventually at half past three my boyfriend managed to drive me there to collect it. I only felt mildly anxious when i had to see the others to collect my keys, they just said hello and asked me if i'd had a nice day. I got the feeling they were a bit apprehensive incase i panicked again in front of them but then who wouldn't.
I drove home fine, there was no traffic.
I have driven to my Mums which is only ten minutes away today to drop the kiddies easter eggs off, i waited until the football was on so the roads would be quiet and managed fine, At least i got there.
How has your day been? Sorry for the life story....
Sue

nomorepanic
26-03-05, 17:59
Sue

Well at least you did it and didn't just leave the car on the drive so well done on that.

Hope you are having a lovely Easter.

Nicola

sal
26-03-05, 19:17
Hi Sue

Well done for getting your car back from work, i am sure your colleagues feel for you but are unsure what to say. You also did well driving to your mums and not putting if off. You have done well today and although yesterday wasnt too good you havent let it stop you getting on with today.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
28-03-05, 01:15
Well my boyfriend has cracked up today!!
He told me he is unhappy with the way we are existing.....me in bed until teatime basically, i have to sort myself out.
I have ruined his easter break which he was really looking forward to.

nomorepanic
28-03-05, 17:20
Sue

Partners do take the brunt of our suffering don't they. I was the same a few years ago, Alex used to drive all the way to Sheffield to see me at the weekends and all I did was lay on the settee or sleep all day!

I then decided that I had to get a life back and also give him some life too!!

Why have you been in bed all day - are you not feeling so good today?

Chin up ok - it can and will get better.

Nicola

sal
28-03-05, 21:29
Hi Sue

Sorry it hasnt been a good weekend for you both. It must be hard for him to understand and you really need to talk to him and tell him how you feel. He may not understand, noone can guarantee that but communication is the best way forward and he needs to know how you feel.

I am like you and need a lot of sleep and worry that people wont accept that but we are all different and as indivuduals people need to understand that.

You take care hon.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
29-03-05, 19:56
Hi Both,
I hear what you're saying thankyou.
I think it boils down to me being tired, although i had the last week off work, i feel shattered - when he has a break he's up at the crack of dawn wanting to be out doing something wheres I see the opportunity of not having to work and to relax.
Ah well!
I have promised i will go out next weekend - subject to change.
On a different note, I have been to work, managed a full day. But now i feel knackered again haha
PS: Good job i retrieved my car on Friday as we only got broken into!
Where would i have been without my car?
Ill shut up now, i wanted to reply as you two so kindly had.
Sue

Meg
29-03-05, 20:51
Hi Sue

What were your previous panics about a few years ago ?

**what is the next cure?** The recovery path lies within yourself..Its hard to get started on the path and its not a straight or easy road but it is manageable- many of us are through it now.
You understand that it is your thought processes surrounding this that is what is keeping you very close to panicking.

From this thread it seems that you have become panicky in car since an accident quite recently which would be a classic reaction for many people for a period of time.

Are you Ok in other situations.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

sal
29-03-05, 21:24
Hi Sue

That is people and we all like different things, i am like you and feel time of i want to relax and chill out at home, but then like your boyfriend he sees it as time to get out and do something. Maybe like you said you will do something next weekend, then you are compromising.

Then that keeps you both happy and both fair on you.

Take care.

Love Sal xx

sueiamnew
29-03-05, 21:40
Hi Meg and Sal,

( I started to type just but fear i lost the text so forgive me if i answer twice)

Meg: No, it is not just the driving, i was starting to feel this way before Christmas but I agree it is all in the way of thinking
The panics before were so stupid in that i didnt leave the house for months to even buy groceries, i was living alone at that point (for 11 years) so it didnt seem to matter that much
I live with my boyfriend now and havent even so much as walked down our street since we've moved in (2 years ago)
Mad eh?

Sal: Yes i will i have promised - a promise isa promise - i have cooked him a nice tea tonight so he is a bit happier haha

Hope you are both OK after listening to me.

Im going to go up now, i have work in exactly 10 hours.

Sorry to go on.

Sue

sal
29-03-05, 21:42
Sue

Dont apologise at all we are here to help you if we can. Pleased he seems a bit happier and i do hope that you get to go out and spend some quality time together.

Sleep well and hope work goes okay tomorrow.

Love Sal xx

Meg
29-03-05, 21:58
Hi Sue,

**I agree it is all in the way of thinking** Glad you know this.. it good once you really accept this.

Its still hard and none of us minimize how awful it is to start making that progress, but you can start your path to recovery now.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance