PDA

View Full Version : Going Back to Work on Monday

shakygirl
01-04-08, 07:51
Thought I would add a post as I am feeling 101% better and I am going back to work on Monday!

I have been away from my teaching job since January after I caught an infection/virus in my colon at Christmas. Although the infection cleared up I had gone for 2-3 weeks without eating and I was physically weak and also suffering from acute anxiety because of it.

My symptoms got worse and I constantly felt sick and weak and tired. Eventually the dr prescribed diazepam for a couple of weeks which helped enormously but were obviously not long term so he gave me citalopram.

I was so worried about taking this as the side effects seemed so horrible but I finally plucked up the courage to start taking them and suffered a few mild problems which in all honesty were predominatly caused by the anxiety anyway. In addition to taking the citalopram I visited a holistic therapist for talk therapy and reiki which I found really beneficial as she was such a lovely, sensible lady who really helped me put things into focus.

I have had a few weeks of being up and down (particularly in the mornings) and 2 weeks ago I visited a hypnotherapist which I feel was the turning point for me. She showed me how to do self hypnosis (really a form of meditation i feel) and deep relaxation. We also talked about the importance of positive thinking and I have been reciting positive thoughts throughout the day. From that moment on I have gone from strength to strength.

I believe it has been a combination of therapies and drugs that has meant I am now living a totally normal life again without any anxiety. The physical symptoms have gone and my appetite has returned. A really good thing that has come out of the whole situation too is that I have lost 2.5 stone in weight!!

So my message would be - fight with everything you can. If you can afford additional therapy then give it a try and the power of positive thinking is fantastic and free.

Good luck to everyone else and thank you so much to this forurm which has also been such a great source of support and information.

pips
01-04-08, 14:34
I'm so glad you are feeling better. What a lovely post and Great Positivity.:yesyes:

All the best back at work hun.:flowers:

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X

Lilith1980
01-04-08, 15:12
Hi Shaky

Well done to you for getting back to work and so good to hear you are feeling better hun :D

Jo xxxxx

Liverbird67
01-04-08, 16:49
Hiya Shaky
That is fantastic news, I must thank you for your advice in chatrooms, you have really helped me through some tough times, I think at one point we had similar symptoms, I am feeling a lot better myself but I still have a further four weeks off work (hoping to return after then) I am so pleased for you, Hope everything works out for you honey, I am a firm beliver in the old adage what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If anything my current bout of this horrendous anxiety has made me more sympathetic to other people especially when I am on crowded public transport, I think of statistics and I know I am probably not the only anxious person on board ( I often wonder who the others are when everyone looks so normal)
so happy for you hun

Liverbird
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

honeybee3939
01-04-08, 22:41
Hi Shaky

How lovely to read how well you have done and how much better you are, its always great to read of peoples success, Im so pleased to hear you are returning to work too, I wish you luck hun.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx