PDA

View Full Version : Roombound at moment :(

Richie
01-04-08, 18:26
was just wondering if there was anybody aout there that becomes no only housebound but "roombound! at times??
I'm going through a period of this at moment and it's just humiliating and bloody awful cause have to keep relying on husband :( when used to be so independent once
He just keeps saying "why aren't the pills working" etc etc
can't do any my self employment either so got no money s**t
dog has to run around garden :( :( :(
Flipping heck have had to cope with this for 4 years but roombound is the worse. Just the thought of the front door makes me terrified. I know when like this a couple of brandys would do it but urgh the taste, smell, disgusting (and the hangover) !!!
Richie

doodah
01-04-08, 18:48
Hiya Richie - sorry to hear that you're "roombound" at the moment. I haven't had that for years and years but I vividly remember what I felt like when I did suffer the same as you. I can only say it was because my nerves were so raw and I was almost hyper-aware of sounds/sights/feelings etc. I found that seeing my psychologist back then really helped. Is there anyone that you see who might be able to talk about it with you?

Take care and don't forget, it won't be forever!

Wendy xxxx

Pickle
01-04-08, 18:59
Hi Richie, I'm really sorry you are having a bad time. I've never suffered as badly as you seem to be, housebound yes, but not roombound. Hopefully with a bit of rest you may feel better about leaving you safe room soon. Spring is round the corner and it may lighten your mood and with the tablets hopefully starting to work, you will soon be in the sun relaxing

Take care

chalky
01-04-08, 20:21
Hi Richie,

Hope things change for you soon.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Best wishes,
Chalky

PUGLETMUM
01-04-08, 21:04
:hugs: hi richie, im also sorry things are tough for you at the moment, we are here for you so just keep posting and you will ge tthe support you need - im sure you could pm anyone who has replyed or if youve made friends from chat? to talk more in depth about how your feeling and try to work out why your feeling so bad? i know youve said that ther eis little in the way of psychologists in your area? but really if you wan thelp you are going to have to yell for it! can your husband not ring your docss and explain how bad the situation is - you do need to get help i think to get you back on your feet? what do you think? do you think you will be able to do it with us for support or do you think you need more professional support? i have had serious chronic anxiety richie, the worst ive had it is for about 4 days solid,this is where i cant eat,sleep think or do ANYTHING! but these days i usually have it less chronic so i can still manage to carry on - but i do get lots and lots of help when im like this - dont really know how id get on if i was left alone to get on with it?

it is only anxiety your feeling - there is nothing to worry about, but the nhs owe you, and if you are struggling then they really could prob do more for you? please keep in touch richie and well all try to help you as much as possible to get over this, love from emma:flowers: :hugs:

Richie
01-04-08, 21:32
Just wanted to say thankyou so much the people who have replied and pm me x x x x
And everyone on NMP, x x x yep do need therapy and ive heard there is telephone CBT which is free from "No Panic" so i may do that.
This website though has been really good for me, just wanted to say that and a big thank you:hugs: :hugs:
I'm sorta waiting for the anti-depressents now on a higher dose to help too
Lots of love and best wishes Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Piglet
01-04-08, 22:05
I've done the Nopanic telephone course mate and certainly would recommend it - it's sort of like a talking NMP really lol!

We had a guy on our course who was roombound - in actual fact hun it's only the same principle as being housebound in general and the same methods for getting better apply - just to take pushing the boundaries a baby step at a time.

I may add that the guy who was bedbound actually made the most improvement on the course of us all and ended up wandering into his local town on his own by the end of the course and while I didn't quite manage that it did help me an awful lot. You have absolutely nothing to lose other than a tenner!!

Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
01-04-08, 22:22
Hi Richie

When i was suffering Agorophobia i remember at one stage i didnt leave my bedroom for 6 months only to venture to the loo across the hall, at that stage i wasnt taking any meds, but soon after starting meds and they kicked in i started making good progress, i also had a few home visits from my GP who then refered me to a phycologist who did a home visit too, the phycologist was the one who recommened the meds for me. The idea of the Nopanic telephone course sounds like it could help also Richie i have never used the service but from what i have heard they are very good.

Sending you hugs hun:hugs: hope things improve for you soon.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

PUGLETMUM
02-04-08, 09:17
:hugs: hey richie, you sound more positive now? we are all here for you richie, to help you support yourself out of this nasty situation - i have been agoraphobic too, so i know how soul destroying it is, and i want to do anything that helps you to improve, hang in there and you will recover and look back on this stupid 'thing' - take care and all best wishes to you emma:flowers:

Rennie1989
02-04-08, 09:51
I did have that for a day once, I felt so poo-y because my meds were just starting to work. I woke up at 8.50, bunked off college and fell back to sleep, woke up at 12 and wouldn't get out of bed at 4.35! I didn't want to leave my room at all!!

Just take some small steps. Tell your husband how you are feeling at the moment, it can be very frustrating for you and him.

How are you coping at the moment?

helenclaire
02-04-08, 10:03
Hi Richie,
I was just wondering what is making you scared to leave the room.
What do you think will happen if you do?
I know how you feel although i have never been roombound i have been housebound.
I think mine is down to the physical feelings of anxiety, i am scared i will collapse in front of people and embarrass myself, of course this has never happened but when i am feeling bad i really feel i will pass out, hence i want to be in my own home where nobody will be see me.
Hope you feel better soon
Helen:hugs:

PUGLETMUM
02-04-08, 12:23
:hugs: hi richie, does going out of the room start a PA? or is it that you are feeling really ill with anxiety? my problems are never to do with panicking when im chronically anxious - although i do spend alot of energy trying to avert one! my issues are just feeling weak, ill, spaced out, scared, un-real etc and then overwhelmed on top because i HAVE ro carry on - my daughter has to go to school and my husband HAS to go to work -so what has happened in the past is ive relyed heavily on mother-in-law to help while i ge tmyself together - last year it took about 4 weeks, the first wek my husband had to get a sick note to stay off work because i was hysterical with fear - mum-in-law couldnt help as was tied up with her dad-in-law dying and dealing with what to do with her mum-in-law:wacko: so then she came to my rescue (bad move, but i usually can tcope any other way:blush: ) and then we have a bit of co-dependancy going on, i get angry she gets angry and usually that anger drives me - im angry that they can live their lives and be HAPPY!!!!:mad: so i sort of hate my way out - does that make any sense? i was very very depressed richie, but i was frightened to be depressed so i started to look it up and clickaway recommended uncommonknowledge - you know coz weve discussed them? i know you had no joy there, but can you ge tsome really good books - sheldon press have them about depression? and maybe get the depression learning path from uncommonknowledge - its all worth a try - im sending all my love to you because i know you must be really struggling - take care ,emma:flowers: :hugs:

Richie
03-04-08, 21:32
Hi Emma, and Helenclaire thanks so much for the replies,xxxxxxxx
sorry hav'nt been on forum to reply x
yeah i'm still stuck here.
Thanks emma about uncommonknowledge i have still to get in touch with them. But i will definately do that.
Sorry will have to reply another time feel so ill at moment, cause having dreadful side effects also am terrified at moment cause there is so much bad stuff happening in my life most of the time, although when i'm away from this area completly i don't feel so bad. yep know that doesn't make much sense but hard to explain!! Yep know what you mean about co-dependency, that sort of relationship isn't healthy, can be destructive and break up families. But it happens doesn't it when the main support, i mean with the physical things that you normally do everyday only comes from your family. As sometimes just can't manage it.
sorry for this rather short confused reply but thankyou so much
Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sheba2
03-04-08, 22:02
Hi Richie.

Yes I was roombound and in fact my only safe place was on the chair I happened to be sitting on. In fact I didn't have a safe place cos inside my head I didn't believe I was safe. This was about a year ago. Now I can go out with help and have even managed some places on my own. I have done this without drugs but I have paid for some counselling.

In the end I think pure frustration got me going. Iwas so scared of everythng and so upset with feeling so bad and ill and nobody understanding me that I became angry and literally made myself move. Small steps at first and so on. One of my biggest helps has been this website. Reading about others problems and recognising the same or similar symptoms. Believing that what we are suffering from is anxiety. Getting to the point where the thing I feared most which is dying couldn't be as bad as living like this. It is really important to take time to get over this. also look after yourself by eating properly. Look at your diet. Get as much rest or sleep as yu can. Practise relaxation techniques so you are familiar with them. I hope this helps if you want to pm me please do. I really know how bad it is to feel as you do. I know that you will get better. Huge hugs and best wishes.

Orion
03-04-08, 22:09
Hi Richie

Im sorry to hear that you are "roombound" at the moment,but dont worry it will get better,I know from personnal experience.With the support of your husband and your GP you WILL come through this.I have a devil of a time when my Panic Attacks are activated,can"t work(I"m self employed too),can"t go to the corner shop for a paper,sometimes won"t leave the house or the bedroom.So believe me we all know what your going through at the moment.It will turn itself around in time.I hope you have a speedy recovery from this part of nightmare we call panic attacks.

Best wishes

Orion

jacq
07-04-08, 10:21
Hi Richie, i know exactly how you feel as i have been room bound for about a year. I sit in the back room all day and only venture to the downstairs loo and pantry to grab food, i sit and look out into the garden, but i couldn't go out there unless someone else is at home, i can't go into the front room and look out of the window onto the street, and can't go upstairs. It sounds totally irational when i read it myself but it is like there is a mental block when i attempt it, it is not even as though i imagine something bad will happen it just makes me feel so anxious to think about it and i only feel safe here. Stupidly i can now visit places like the shops and family when i have to if i am with my husband or mom and i even went to Nottingham for the day to see my girls compete in martial arts, but as soon as i am alone in the house the panic returns. I am lucky in that i have recently been awarded DLA as i felt so guilty that i can't contribute and my hubbie has to work so hard, it is only at the lower rate for care and mobility (£34 a week) but will make a big difference to our finances and a bigger difference to my anxiety, have you tried to apply?. I keep saying i am going to try and get out of the room more and even tried to sit in the front room with my daughters while they ate their brekkie before school, but the urge to get back to my safe room is so overwhelming it is hard to know how to move forward.

Jacq x

PUGLETMUM
07-04-08, 11:24
:hugs: hi guys - i have never been roombound, but in differnt ways i have suffered like this where you are almost disabled? mmmine is that i have to phone someone to feel okay in the house alone:blush: :wacko: and if i dont my anx is really bad - but ive had cbt and i know what i need to be doing to get better!

actually i have moved on coz my safe ppl are out of town right now and i only have my father-in-law at home - and hes great but i wouldnt want to panic in front of him!!!! so th enax has really gone down now - a while ago it wouldnt have. so you can move on!!:yesyes: but i would say you two ladies could be suffering with depression, i was because it made trying to tackle everything seem impossible - if you are depressed then you know its that that is making you unable to get better not you yourself:weep: depression is serious and you need to ge thelp for it seperately - either self-help or help from health ppl - your mental health teams or your doc etc.

i would advise for depression - movement of any kind - houswork, excersise dvds, dancing around anything!!! to life the brain chemistry.

also doing very little things - setting very little challenges - even to do something around the house youve been putting off - you need to feel tha tyou acan set yourself a target and succeed. it is very important - it could even be that you do go into the front room for even one minute! it doesn tmatter - it its acheivable you must do it!!!! coz once you do you see you can and then you want to do more:yesyes:

i really wish you both all the best and if you want any help please dont hesitate to ask either on here or privately:hugs: please take care richie and jacq and ge tin touch soon? so we know how you both are?:flowers: :hugs:

PUGLETMUM
07-04-08, 11:25
:blush: sorry - LIFT the brain chemistry i meant!

Hope 2
11-04-08, 00:45
Hi All :D

Feel like a nosey neighbour pokin me nose in :blush: .
But I have followed this thread and I have often thought of you folks who are trapped within their homes . I too would like to know how you are getting on xx

Best wishes
Love Hope xx

PUGLETMUM
11-04-08, 09:20
:hugs: HOPE, dont feel like a nosy neighbour!!!!:winks:

Richie
15-04-08, 15:47
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
there everyone who has replied to this thread, i have read them all and i really thank you from my heart xxxx:hugs:and also the folk that pm me too xxx
Sorry that i hadn't been on this site for about a week, that's cause was feeling so bad just couldn't type anything !!
Dear Emma thanx so much for the advice it is advice that i read and re- read so that's good xxxxx
Dear Jacq i never realised you were also in this "stuck" situation.
And i can totally relate to what you say, also the fact that like you it's not always, and often it's better when away from home, odd though it sounds but know what u mean, thanx so much for sharing that with me xxxx
Dear (sorry name gone) really you are not being nosey at all and i thank you so much fir following this thread xxxx:hugs:
I too do the same but don't always reply.
Well i came down from the 60 mg of citalopram to 40mg although doc doesn't know yet. Because couldn't handle it.
Things have been better since, Also have had to take a couple of sedatives to ward off the worse of it.
A little miracle happened cause the day i got out was the day it snowed!! I love the snow, being born in the winter ha! and such a rare event especially down here on the coast that i just got up real early ran around the garden with my dog and took him out for a walk. Hows about that xx
Although it hasn't unfortunately snoewed since, have been out in the garden, sat in conservatory reading some books, and been swimming yesterday with a friend and her little girl!!
This Monday my hubby and me away for 2 weeks across Eastern Europe, which has alot of family ties.
Just keeping everything crossed and touching wood( my head)
that all will be well as these anx goes in phases. So please wish me well!
There will be bad times again, but i'm trying to hang on to what is good one bit at a time. And relish just little things.
thankyou once again for your wonderful support, this site is so worth it:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PUGLETMUM
15-04-08, 16:01
:yesyes:wow richie that is some recovery:hugs: hope you have a lovely lovely time on your hols:yesyes: i was really worried about you so im glad your fighting fit again - well that may be a bit of an exageration - but you know what i mean:winks: take care and keep in touch, emmaxxxxxxxxxxxx:flowers:

doodah
15-04-08, 21:35
Wow Richie, you should be really proud of yourself - I think you're doing wonderfully!

Take care,

Wendy xxxxxxxxxxx

licquyd
16-04-08, 03:10
I'm roombound right now...i'm lucky to leave my room to eat or drink....glad i have a bathroom in my room, but it's hard to go in there sometimes too...