PDA

View Full Version : How do I distract myself?

didunn1
24-03-05, 15:26
Immediately as I wake in a morning my mind starts racing with negative thoughts and I find it really hard to distract myself and quieten my mind.

I can't decide what to wear, my self-esteem is quite low even though I know I always take care with my appearance. When I look at clothes in my wardrobe they remind me of the feelings I felt as I last wore them and they're mostly negative.

If I think of the day/week ahead my head seems to be full of anxious and gloomy visions of places I need to go. My enthusiasm for my hobbies seems to have waned too.

During the day my mood can improve but I would like to know if anyone has any advice on distracting thoughts. My mind just doesn't want to accept positive thoughts!!

Di

FAN
24-03-05, 15:37
hi you have to take it one day at a time and you cant get there overnight but you can come through this..........dont look at the week ahead start with today and work from there, once today is over you think about tomorrow and so on as you get through each day it will get easier but to look at the big picture can be too daunting you feel as your never gonna get through it

as soon as you wake and the thoughts cram into your mind tell yourself "im not gonna think about this til i had a coffee"........progress from there you will have to do a lot of talking to yourself each time a negative thought comes in

i think every one suffers the loss of self esteem/confidence but as you start to feel better you will regain that im sure, read on here all the people who post and you will see lots of us have been there and its a long slow road but you can get through it

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

lisarose
24-03-05, 16:49
Hello Diane, I agree totally with FAn you have to take it one day at a time and not look too far ahead. I always wake up feeling anxious about everything, I dread the thought of having to get my kids up and dressed fopr school and then dread the thought of walking them there but once I have I seem to feel proud of myself for doing it and getting through it even though I dread it and then I know the day can only get better. I still have my bad days when the day seems to go from bad to worse and have had alot of them lately but I try and look at them as a temporary setback. i definately don't want to end up like I was a few years ago and for a few weeks I thought that is what was going to happen but I seem to be coming through it again. I never get too complacent though and know that the possibility of a setback is always there in my mind but with the help and support of everyone on this site I know that I can get through these bad days with all your help.
Take care and well done again
Hope you have a really nice Easter, I am glad my kids have broke up from school now as I know I havent'got the stress of the school run tio cope with just the stress of trying to keep them from getting bored!!!LOL
Love Lisaxx

seh1980
24-03-05, 18:54
When I am feeling panicky and need to distract myslef asap I write a letter, tidy the house, make a shopping list, etc. These things normally work for me.

Sarah :D

tracyp584
24-03-05, 20:02
Hi,

When i feel the negative thoughts creep in i just throw myself into cleaning, or i put some music on. If that fails i ring up a mate for a chat, and hope they have some gossip!

tracy x x

nomorepanic
24-03-05, 20:56
Di

The worst thing we can do is start the day off with those dark desperate feelings.

If you wake up feeling depressed and miserable the rest of the day seems to follow suit.

Try to get up and have a shower, get the TV or the radio on and have some breakfast (very important). I agree with opening the curtains and letting some light in.

Try to plan something nice to do each day - a sort of little treat. It can be something realy simple like buying yourself some flowers, but anything that gives you something to think about and be positive about. That sounds really crass but I am sure you understand what I am trying to say.

Hope you feel better soon.

Nicola

sal
24-03-05, 23:05
Hi Di

It isnt easy when you wake up feeling like that as the day seems to follow on. But if you do think and plan what you are going to do that you like doing and make sure you stick to it. Getting a bit of routine in to my life helped as i was occupied and had things to focus on which helped lots.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Tigga
24-03-05, 23:47
Hi Di,

When I've got my negative head on I sometimes manage to lose myself in something I need to use my head for, like the crossword, a good book, a writing a letter, writing shopping lists, making up (very bad!) poems, writing lists of fun stuff I can do when I have some spare time, baking yummy stuff to take into work, anything like that really! Hope that helps

Tig
xx

didunn1
25-03-05, 00:31
Thanks so much for your replies, it was good to read your tips. When I read my post back it sounded quite depressing but I felt I should describe it when I'm at my worst.

I know I can get through this phase because I've done it before but my thoughts seem to be so powerful and positive thoughts seem so alien to me.

Today turned out to be a good day, Easter Bonnet parade at the playgroup where I work, had lots of hugs and a box of choccies too. Going out with my family tomorrow for the day, looking forward to it and shall take each moment as it comes,have a tendency to wish everything to go perfectly and life isn't like that!!

Looking forward to a few lie-ins as kids are now on Easter break -

Happy Easter everyone

Di

sal
25-03-05, 00:33
Hi di

Your post didnt sound depressing at all it was how you felt and talking openly we can offer the best advice we can.

Pleased today has been a good day for you and hope you have a wonderful easter break and make the most of those lie ins.

You take care and dont forget we are here for you.

All the best.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

della
25-03-05, 23:42
hi di

just read your post i can understand how you feel...i used to be exacly the same.

I found that if i said five affirmations each night and moring that really helped me ...However i am not saying that they work straight away but like the hare and tortiose they will creeep in ....look at the small nice things each day and you WILL get there.

take care

della[OK]

blossom
27-03-05, 17:42
Hi to those who wake with negative thought, I wake every morning with tears, as I am afraid toface the day, I too look in the wardrobe, and look at all the nice clothes I have, but just cant stop the negative thoughts myself. I think of the days when I bought them, and wish I was like that now. I cry on and off all day thinking of how I used to be, I have suffered from agaoraphobia and panics for many years, but was able to get out up until 5 years ago when the doctor took me off SEROXAT cold turkey, since then, my life is all negative, I would like help, I lie there in bed, and too afraid to get up, but have been trying to get out a bit lately, its so hard, as I find that I can only do certain places, it helps, but can anyone tell me, when I get back in my house, the tears start again, I just dont understand it. Sometimes when I am out, I feel the panic, but try and make myself stick it out. The mornings are always the same, tears always start my day, at nights, it is alright most times, apart from continual headaches, I seem to live in the past, please can anyone help me, Blossom

didunn1
27-03-05, 19:37
Hi Blossom

I understand how you feel. I've had these problems on and off since the birth of my first child who's now 15. I think it started as a type of health anxiety as I had health problems throughout both pregnancies and health problems for some years afterwards, therefore I began to feel different from my friends and other people. I think I felt I was being punished for something!?

A couple of years ago I met with someone who'd had similar problems to me throughout their pregnancies and had suffered anxiety/depression and had been to see a gynaecologist and found she had hormonal problems. I went to see the same consultant and found out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome and even though I had no real physical symptoms, it can cause mood swings which is linked to insulin levels, and was put on to HRT.

I am at present coming off my anti-depressants as I have never felt they have helped my mood and am trying to control my diet and intake of sugar. I believe I am borderline diabetic. I wouldn't say that it has resolved my problems because I am still having problems, my consultant says he wishes I had been aware of his services 12 years ago. I still feel I'm the cause of my problems and he is trying to prove me wrong.

Di

jollywalrus
27-03-05, 21:09
Hi Di,

The trouble with depression is that it is like wading through treacle. It takes a lot of effort to do anything - I know. Even the simplest tasks can seem so huge. The trick is to try and make the effort , however difficult. Just small things and then they all add up to big things. Soon it becomes habit and it gets easier, I promise.

love Christine

della
28-03-05, 17:18
hi di

yes depression can feel like a large weight on your shoulders...i know when i had it there were times when i couldnt think of the next hour let alone the next day...i literally had to take things one minute at atime and if i managed to do a small task in that time i didnt even feel that i had achieved anything...however things DO get better if you need to talk let me know

take care

della[8D]