PDA

View Full Version : a suggestion that has helped me....

HarStew
24-03-05, 15:44
I don't want to give the wrong impression, I still endure occasional anxiety attacks, especially when in environments that are unfamiliar. That said, when I read my journal entries from just a year ago, it's hard to believe that was me. I am much more self-assured and confident now.

I want other people to consider a book that has helped me. This is the present that I gave to every family memebr of mine last Christmas. It is called "Been There, Done That? Do This!" by Sam Obitz. There is something about the way it communicates that helps give me a new way of looking at my anxiety attacks, and often I am able to diffuse them. It is written in a conversational tone, like a friend talking to you. I feel indebted to it and I feel compelled to tell others about it, so it can help them too, if they're suffering from anxiety attacks and depression. www.tao3.com

HarStew

lisarose
24-03-05, 16:24
Hi HarStew, Welcome to the site. Thanks for the book tip It sounds like a really good book and will give it a try, doi you know if it's available in book shops in England? It is great that you kept a journal, I really wish I had done that as it is hard to think back to how bad I really was although family members tell me. I am really glad that you are on the road to recovery and it gives hope to all of us that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
take care
love Lisaxx

FAN
24-03-05, 17:37
hi im glad to hear you found something that helps you

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

seh1980
24-03-05, 17:41
sounds like a good book :D

nomorepanic
24-03-05, 20:14
Hi HarStew

welcome aboard and thanks for the link. Will take a look.

Nicola

Karen
24-03-05, 21:45
Hi HarStew

Welcome to the forum. Good to hear you are doing so well and found something that helped you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
24-03-05, 22:08
Hi it sounds like a great book.

So pleased when you look back in your journal that you cant believe it is you as this shows how much you have moved on.

Well done.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

HarStew
05-04-05, 07:36
Thank you for warm greetings. I appreciate that. I hope that everyone is doing well.

I especially like Karen's signature quote!

SB
25-05-05, 08:03
The Obitz book is the one we started with in my group and it helped to give me my life back so I understand your enthusiasm as it was nice to read something from an afflicted person's point of view and that helped give me confidence in the methods cbt used. Life continues to get better for me because I am still using the tools and making additional progress and I would urge you to keep working at the tools as well as the sky appears to be the limit with cbt! I literally do the tea form exercise almost everyday.
Take care and keep working the tools!

Piglet
25-05-05, 08:51
Thanks for that - will take a look.
Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

pips
25-05-05, 11:28
Thanks,

Looks Good!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X

HarStew
28-05-05, 21:09
It doesn't seem that the book is on Amazon, but it looks like they can ship to England.

I appreciate everyone's warm greetings.

Jrank
01-06-05, 22:59
Thanks for sharing. I am in a cbt program at my school and the lady who wrote the foreword to this book (Dr. Michelle Craske) heads the program at my college and has treated lots of celebrities. We started our program with this book and are using another good book called Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic that Dr. Craske wrote with a guy named David Barlow. They are both really short and good books but I do like the one by Obitz better because it was easier for me to relate to.

sal
02-06-05, 01:27
You have done really well and any success story is what we want to read and we hope to hear more from you.

Take care.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

HarStew
08-06-05, 03:08
Nice message Jrank, thanks. I have never been in any CBT group or anything like that, I've always been more of a lone wolf type.

I haven't heard of that other book, but I might look into it.
A side note; I hope to visit the UK sometime in the next few years...

SB
14-06-05, 19:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks for sharing. I am in a cbt program at my school and the lady who wrote the foreword to this book (Dr. Michelle Craske) heads the program at my college and has treated lots of celebrities.
<div align="right">Originally posted by Jrank - 01 June 2005 : 21:59:42</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thank you for sharing too, but don't leave us hanging... Who are the celebrities Dr. Craske has treated? Most celebrities try and hide their problems so it would be cool to learn of the ones who beat panic and anxiety!

HarStew
23-06-05, 06:24
Some of the famous sufferers that I have heard about are Johnny Depp, Barbara Streisand and David Bowie and I am certain there are many more but these are the ones I've heard about.

SB
05-07-05, 21:18
Thanks Harstew for sharing the names of some of the celebrities. Always easy to find comfort in numbers but what I really want to hear about is famous people who have been helped by Dr. Craske and Obitz or cbt in general? Thanks.

Jrank
06-07-05, 23:51
SB, I am out of school for the summer but will try and see if I can find out other famous people that Craske and Obitz have helped and let you know as soon as i find anything out.

SB
19-07-05, 21:16
Thanks and no hurry I'm just curious. I hope you are enjoying your summer break.

sal
19-07-05, 23:52
Hi

Hope you are enjoying the break.

Have tried to find the book but havent as yet so if you could let me know a bit more i will look for it as i think it sounds great and i would loe to read it.

Love Sal xx

Jrank
31-07-05, 05:55
[quote]Hi

Hi Sal, the break is going great thanks. I hope you are doing well too. I just wish Summer break would never end! If your library does not have the Obitz book they can probably get it on loan for you from another library or you can order it in the mail from the books website www.tao3.com

Take care and enjoy the rest of the summer!!!

HarStew
12-08-05, 03:21
I know that they are right there near Hollywood but I do not know which famous people Craske and/or Obitz have treated. You could try writing them!

SB
23-08-05, 05:47
I've been really busy lately and not checked the boards so I just received your reply Harstew. Thanks for your help I may try writing them or e-mailing them. I'll share what they say if I get a reply other than the standard "Your letter is important to us but do to the volume we receive we can't answer all of them etc. etc." Thanks for the suggestion.

Crystal
29-08-05, 01:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks for sharing. I am in a cbt program at my school and the lady who wrote the foreword to this book (Dr. Michelle Craske) heads the program at my college and has treated lots of celebrities. We started our program with this book and are using another good book called Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic that Dr. Craske wrote with a guy named David Barlow. They are both really short and good books but I do like the one by Obitz better because it was easier for me to relate to.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Jrank - 01 June 2005 : 21:59:42</div id="right">

Hi Jrank,

Thanks for all that info! We used both of those books in my cbt program here in Hawaii. I did not realize that Craske and Obitz treated so many celebs so that was nice to hear. I fought anxiety, panic and depression for eight years and was on lots of meds before learning cbt. I have been in recoverey for a year and a half and off meds for two years now and fell great. I hope you achieve similar results to what I have received from my cbt program and it sure sounds like you are on the right track.

HarStew
14-09-05, 21:27
I wrote to Obitz awhile back, asking him how he came with his clever title (Been There, Done That? Do This!) and he wrote me back a nice, albeit brief note.

That was through snail mail, but I can look to see if I can locate his email address. It would be interesting to know tidbits like that from the author.

RobyBaggio18
15-09-05, 13:37
A book I found useful and sounds like its along similar sort of lines is Paul McKenna's Change your life in 7 days. Although not directly linked to anxiety it explains to appreciate yourself more, what to aim for and to disassociate yourself from painful memories and thoughts. Some of the ideas take a lot of practice but you can notice changes.

SB
03-10-05, 21:32
Thanks Harstew that's encouraging and let me know if you find an e-mail address for Obitz and I'll send him a note. Jrank you must be back in school by now. Any luck with your queries? Thanks.

HarStew
14-10-05, 06:37
The funny thing about Johnny Depp is that everyone thought he had no insecurities... it turns out he had anxiety attacks and is just like the rest of us!

SB
25-10-05, 21:16
Hi Harstew did you ever find an e-mail address for Obitz? Maybe I'll just follow your lead and send a snail mail letter. I never write letters anymore now that I have e-mail, too lazy I guess. As for Johnny Depp, anyone who tears up a hotel room when his girlfriend dumps him clearly has issues!

HarStew
11-01-06, 08:32
I was not able to find a direct e-mail address for him but you can try this address and your note may reach him--
BookFeedback@SuperTao.com Best wishes in the new year to you and everyone else here!

jackie
13-01-06, 23:30
new to the web tonight never heard of this book struggled with a health anxiety for four years do you think it would help me. live in ireland. belfast. where can i get it. any other tips for breaking negative cycle sometimes feel it is for life

HarStew
19-01-06, 08:00
Sure! You can order it from www.tao3.com

I recommend this book; while some days are still a struggle for me, I am living proof that this book does help and that your situation needn't be permament!

SB
26-01-06, 19:02
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">new to the web tonight never heard of this book struggled with a health anxiety for four years do you think it would help me. live in ireland. belfast. where can i get it. any other tips for breaking negative cycle sometimes feel it is for life

<div align="right">Originally posted by jackie - 13 January 2006 : 23:30:11</div id="right">

I thought I was doomed to a life of anxiety and panic attacks but with a little effort using the cbt exercises you can begin to put an end to the misery that anxiety causes you. We used the Obitz book in my goup and I highly recommend it. It is short and sweet and the tea form exercise has become my best friend :) Hang in there you can get better.

SB
26-01-06, 19:05
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was not able to find a direct e-mail address for him but you can try this address and your note may reach him--
BookFeedback@SuperTao.com Best wishes in the new year to you and everyone else here!

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 11 January 2006 : 08:32:53</div id="right">

Thanks Harstew. If I get around to writing and get a reply I'll let you know. Whatever happened to jrank? He said he was gonna post again after his summer break ended. Maybe he moved to Australia so he could stretch it out a bit lol. Take care and happy new year to you too.

Crystal
18-02-06, 18:33
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was not able to find a direct e-mail address for him but you can try this address and your note may reach him--

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 11 January 2006 : 08:32:53</div id="right">

Hi Harstew, I have not been around for awhile and it is good to see some of the same people are still around. Thanks for the link as I would love to drop the author a note to say thanks as his Tea form exercise has helped me more than anything else and I still do them all the time. I hope you are continuing to feel well. I know it's a little late but happy new year to you too :)

Tomimo
18-02-06, 23:31
Well done :) I will have a look for that book to add to my collection :)

Annie x

axel
06-03-06, 19:16
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I don't want to give the wrong impression, I still endure occasional anxiety attacks, especially when in environments that are unfamiliar. That said, when I read my journal entries from just a year ago, it's hard to believe that was me. I am much more self-assured and confident now.

I want other people to consider a book that has helped me. This is the present that I gave to every family memebr of mine last Christmas. It is called "Been There, Done That? Do This!" by Sam Obitz. There is something about the way it communicates that helps give me a new way of looking at my anxiety attacks, and often I am able to diffuse them. It is written in a conversational tone, like a friend talking to you. I feel indebted to it and I feel compelled to tell others about it, so it can help them too, if they're suffering from anxiety attacks and depression. www.tao3.com

HarStew

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 24 March 2005 : 15:44:48</div id="right">

Dear Harstew,
Since you seem to be the resident expert on the Obitz book here I have a question for you about the tea forms that I posted to Crystal on another board but have not yet received a response to. My question is, in the Obitz book he says he spends 10-20 minutes a few times a week doing his tea forms, how often do you do them? Is there a magic number of days or time spent on them that works best for you? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

HarStew
09-04-06, 22:57
Sorry it took so long to respond, I just saw your message.

At the beginning of reading the Obitz book I was very regimented you might say. Probably 4-6 times a week. Nowadays, with that way of thinking ingrained in me, I sit down and create a TEA Form only when I am struggling with something at work, or am struggling with a personal issue. The "interaction" that takes place with the form, in seeing my thoughts represented on paper in a structured manner, helps me to deal with things effectively and come up with resolutions. Every now and then, the results border on mystical. Give it a chance!

Hope this helps,
Harold

axel
13-04-06, 20:28
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Sorry it took so long to respond, I just saw your message.

At the beginning of reading the Obitz book I was very regimented you might say. Probably 4-6 times a week. Nowadays, with that way of thinking ingrained in me, I sit down and create a TEA Form only when I am struggling with something at work, or am struggling with a personal issue. The "interaction" that takes place with the form, in seeing my thoughts represented on paper in a structured manner, helps me to deal with things effectively and come up with resolutions. Every now and then, the results border on mystical. Give it a chance!

Hope this helps,
Harold

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 09 April 2006 : 23:57:17</div id="right">

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I am doing my tea forms but wanted to make sure I am doing them often enough so they do become fully ingrained. I mean it took me years to get messed up so I guess it may take that long to get the new ways of thinking ingrained. I'm pretty regimated in my use of them and it sounds like that is where I need to be for where I am at right now because I notice when I skip them for more than four or five days I feel my anxiety racheting up a bit. How long did it take for the new thinking habits to become ingrained in you? Thank you again for your help!

Jrank
20-05-06, 22:57
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks and no hurry I'm just curious. I hope you are enjoying your summer break.

<div align="right">Originally posted by SB - 19 July 2005 : 21:16:47</div id="right">

Hi SB and everyone, I can't believe it has been ten months since my last post on here. Between school and a new girlfriend the past year has flown by and I have not had much free time. The good news is my anxiety is at an all time low and I am pretty much only using the TEA forms a few times a week now just to keep in practice. I hope everyone else has their anxiety under control and are happy with their current lot in life. SB I did try to find out who else famous they treat but they could not tell me for patient confidentiality reasons but the secretary said a lot of people I'd recognize from sports and film come through. It's a great program.

desi322
21-05-06, 06:06
ok I am not as dumb as I am going to sound just a long way away. What are tea forms and what fis cbt I assume it is some kind of therapy. Will try and see if I can get hold of the book here in Australia.
thanks desi

HarStew
25-05-06, 09:19
Fully ingrained in me? I would say about 6-8 weeks. I felt some effect from the tea form exercises right away, but it took awhile for it to be a permanent part of automatic thinking.

katies
25-05-06, 11:35
Hi

Have tried to find this in the UK but no luck, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Katie S x

Jrank
26-05-06, 00:07
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">ok I am not as dumb as I am going to sound just a long way away. What are tea forms and what fis cbt I assume it is some kind of therapy. Will try and see if I can get hold of the book here in Australia.
thanks desi

<div align="right">Originally posted by desi322 - 21 May 2006 : 06:06:16</div id="right">
Sorry about the use of acronyms desi and you don't sound dumb, people who don't ask questions when they don't know something are the real dumb ones:) First the TEA form stands for Thought Error and Analysis a really helpful tool used in CBT which stands for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The main tenants of cbt are identifying the thinking errors you make in situations that cause anxiety and then using exercises like the tea form to change the way you look at things to be more objective and less reactionary which will help you build new healthier pathways in your brain and thinking that cause you less anxiety. It is pretty basic stuff but if you work it using the tea forms regularly they can have a dramatic positive effect on your ability to cope and enjoy life with a lot less anxiety. Good luck and I'm not sure if they ship overseas but I know in the USA you can order the book over the internet through the author's website www.tao3.com.

Jrank
26-05-06, 00:12
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi

Have tried to find this in the UK but no luck, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Katie S x

<div align="right">Originally posted by katies - 25 May 2006 : 11:35:32</div id="right">

Hi Katie,
I'm not sure if they ship overseas but like I told desi in my previous post you can try the author's website linked in my reply before this one to see if they ship to places other than here in the USA. You may also check to see if you can just borrow it from your local library because here in the USA we can borrow just about anything from other libraries if our local one does not have the book, it may take a few weeks to get it once you request it from another library though. Good luck!

HarStew
26-05-06, 08:32
I would certainly think that they would send it overseas. Doesn't UPS advertise that they go anywhere? -- And then you see them delivering to farmers in rural China, or whatever that great commercial was (in the USA)

Alexandra
26-05-06, 10:57
HI

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the link.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

axel
05-06-06, 22:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Fully ingrained in me? I would say about 6-8 weeks. I felt some effect from the tea form exercises right away, but it took awhile for it to be a permanent part of automatic thinking.

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 25 May 2006 : 09:19:18</div id="right">

Permanently ingrained in just 6-8weeks? I was just catching on to using it right at that point, so I hope I misunderstood what you were saying?

HarStew
07-07-06, 07:02
Well I faithfully did the TEA Form every day (I had/have a small notebook and pen right on my nightstand). I was intense and faithful with it-- and it changed me for the better. It's funny, in reading our post, in that for me I felt like a couple months was a long time and that I was slow in taking to the exercises in the Obitz book.

axel
11-07-06, 02:12
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> It's funny, in reading our post, in that for me I felt like a couple months was a long time and that I was slow in taking to the exercises in the Obitz book.

<div align="right">Originally posted by HarStew - 07 July 2006 : 08:02:22</div id="right">
You took to them faster than anyone in my group and my group is over now and though they have helped me immensely, I still think I have a ways to go before they become my natural way of thinking! Like my therapist said, it's not a race and everyone will go at their own pace.

HarStew
06-08-06, 08:20
True enough! I think Obitz said something like that too.

juju
06-08-06, 20:04
what is a tea form excercise? sorry for sounding so blank i know its to do with cbt but?????????
thanks

axel
08-08-06, 19:51
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">what is a tea form excercise? sorry for sounding so blank i know its to do with cbt but?????????
thanks

<div align="right">Originally posted by juju - 06 August 2006 : 21:04:29</div id="right">

It is a cbt exercise and if you work at them daily they can really help out a lot in my experience. TEA stands for thought, error and analysis. You write down you upsetting thoughts and then write down the errors in the thought and then analyze them and put in a more realistic thought in the upsetting thoughts place. The book we used by Sam Obitz diagrams them and lists and defines all the different thinking errors that cause anxiety and panic. I think there is an example of a TEA form on the books website. They arew certainly worth giving a try.

HarStew
08-09-06, 06:19
yes, and in keeping with the TEA Forms I see life in a different way. That is to say that I have the capability to provide myself a way to reframe my outlook upon the world in an empowering way.

axel
22-09-06, 01:10
Hi Juju. Did you end up giving the TEA form and cbt a try? How did it work for you if you have? Take care.

axel
20-10-06, 20:24
Hi juju, How are you doing now? Did you ever try cbt or the tea form exercise? I hope you are doing well.

cece
20-02-07, 19:22
You took to them faster than anyone in my group and my group is over now and though they have helped me immensely, I still think I have a ways to go before they become my natural way of thinking! Like my therapist said, it's not a race and everyone will go at their own pace.
Axel, I don't know anyone who took the new ways of thinking to heart as fast as harstew so don't be hard on yourself. Your notes are very encouraging to me and it sounds like you are doing excellent.

cece
22-04-07, 17:57
Axel I have responded to several of your postrs without reply. I hope you are okay and still doing well. I am continuing to make progress and still doing my tea forms everyday but it would be depressing to hear if you had a relapse:weep:

cece
21-05-07, 16:56
Harstew could you or any of the other cbt experts answer a question for me please. I am doing my tea forms daily but how long do I need to continue doing them or will I get to a point where they are the only way I think and not need to do them anymore? Thanks in advance for your replies:smile:

Southern_Belle
26-05-07, 17:41
Hi Harstew,

Welcome to the site and I will look into the book.

Laura :)

domino
26-05-07, 21:52
Thanks For Sharing, Can We Get This Book In The Uk? Take Care, :d

cece
27-05-07, 18:21
I'm in Hawaii and ordered my copy through the author's website (http://tao3.com) and I think they ship everywhere.

cece
14-07-07, 00:07
Has anyone heard from axel? I enjoy his posts and have responded to several of them but have not heard back from him? Perhaps I need to try sending him a pm?

honeybee3939
14-07-07, 01:13
Hi Cece

Axel hasn't visited the site since January, if you click on his name there is a option to send him a email.

Hope thats helps

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

HarStew
19-07-07, 20:52
thank you to everyone's warm wishes above. I am doing better than ever! Clearer -minded and stronger. I have learned that the most important thing is to not get upset over situations, because then that frustration overwhelms your ability to reason, and you ahve immediately lost the game. I am so very glad to see dialogue taking place about the Obitz book, too. That will do people some good!

Somebody above asked me if they (www.tao3.com (http://www.tao3.com)) ship to England-- I am sure they do!

Harold

cece
16-08-07, 22:23
Hi Cece

Axel hasn't visited the site since January, if you click on his name there is a option to send him a email.

Hope thats helps

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Thanks Andrea I will give that a try. I hope you are having a good day:)

cece
16-08-07, 22:31
thank you to everyone's warm wishes above. I am doing better than ever! Clearer -minded and stronger. I have learned that the most important thing is to not get upset over situations, because then that frustration overwhelms your ability to reason, and you ahve immediately lost the game. I am so very glad to see dialogue taking place about the Obitz book, too. That will do people some good!

Somebody above asked me if they (www.tao3.com (http://www.tao3.com)) ship to England-- I am sure they do!

Harold
Very encouraging Harstew. Thanks for sharing:yesyes:

vernon
16-08-07, 22:47
Hi and thanks for that, I have ordered the book and its ok to use Paypal. the UK price is just over £9

cece
30-09-07, 17:48
You're welcome Vernon. I hope you are using the tea forms and they are helping you too. I'm no expert but let me know if you need any help with them:)

cece
28-10-07, 01:47
Hey Vernon, how's everything going? Are you having success with the tea forms yet? I hope you are:hugs:

cece
27-01-08, 20:33
Hi Vernon,
I'm checking back to see how you are doing with your CBT and TEA forms. I hope they are helping you:flowers:

vernon
27-01-08, 23:33
Hi Cece and thanks, I havnt realy done to much with the book I have been feeling a bit better latley and will return to the book when I get a bad spell again. Take Care. Vernon

Angel64
28-01-08, 08:08
Hi thanks for that I love any books that are inspirational, I will try and find it on ebay/amazon later.

A book that helped me is called 'stop thinking, and start living' by Richard Carlson, check it out you might find it interesting.

I also read my diary recently and was shocked at how bad I was !! I have decided to start writing one again, as you don't realise how far you have come until you look back.

Take care and well done !!

Christine xx :flowers:

cece
29-01-08, 21:56
Hi Cece and thanks, I havnt realy done to much with the book I have been feeling a bit better latley and will return to the book when I get a bad spell again. Take Care. Vernon
Good to hear from you Vernon:) I'm glad you are feeling better and I know what I am going to say is going to sound like I am trying to be your mother, but I really do mean this in a constructive not naggy way. The more you can counter your thoughts in the TEA form when you are feeling better the more their ways of thinking become ingrained and help us keep from returning to the bad spells. I know it is hard to do-human nature and all- but if you can I think it will pay dividends for you like it has for me:D End of preachy sermom and please keep in touch:yesyes:

cece
29-01-08, 21:58
Hi thanks for that I love any books that are inspirational, I will try and find it on ebay/amazon later.

A book that helped me is called 'stop thinking, and start living' by Richard Carlson, check it out you might find it interesting.

I also read my diary recently and was shocked at how bad I was !! I have decided to start writing one again, as you don't realise how far you have come until you look back.

Take care and well done !!

Christine xx :flowers:

I'm a book lover too and I love that title :) Thanks.

vernon
29-01-08, 23:10
Thanks Cece. No you are not preaching you are right and thanks xxx

cece
04-02-08, 01:20
Hi Vernon and you are very welcome. I am so glad/relieved that I didn't come off too preachy in my last note because I really was trying to be helpful :flowers: Take care and keep in touch as it always brightens my day to hear from you:yesyes:

cece
07-05-08, 01:28
Hey Vernon it's been a couple of months since we last communicated so I thought I'd send you a note to see how you are faring? I hope this is proving to be a great year for you. I'm doing really well and that's the main reason I have not had time to post much recently...busy,busy,busy:flowers:

Jrank1
28-05-08, 00:33
Hi Harstew and everyone else. It's me Jrank with an updated moniker:) It is so great to see this thread is still going strong after so long which I guess is a testament to the power of CBT and the TEA form exercise. Things are going great with me and I don't even do the TEA form much anymore because my mind automatically thinks that way now:yesyes: I hope everyone else is continuing to do well. I am on a break from grad school and hope to hear back from some of you guys:whistles:

cece
23-06-08, 02:23
That's awesome to hear Jrank1. I am really happy for you:yesyes:

Jrank1
19-08-08, 17:09
Thanks Cece. It has been a great journey and I am so looking forward to the future rather than fearing it now and what a difference that is making. I hope your life is on a similar path now.

Jrank1
19-09-08, 22:37
Harstew or anyone else, I am trying to reach Axel and if anyone could send me his e-mail address I would be grateful:hugs:

cece
01-10-08, 02:34
Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't think Harstew or Axel have been posting in a while:weep: Hope someone was able to help you find Axel and terll him to come back for me if you are able to reach him.

Jrank1
11-10-08, 07:54
No luck finding Axel, but I will tell him if I do track him down:yesyes:

cece
23-10-08, 01:30
Thanks and I hope you are able to track him down:)

Jrank1
14-11-08, 17:02
Thanks. I am starting to think he changed his e-mail and is no longer getting post notifications:weep:

cece
18-01-09, 00:34
Happy New Year to everyone. May it be your least anxiety filled one yet:D

HarStew
07-02-09, 03:33
I used to have medications at the ready, but now I have the Obitz TEA forms. :) It's a lot healthier!

cece
13-02-09, 05:55
Hi Harstew,
We've never met and I didn't think you were still posting, but I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread because it helped inspire me. I hope to see more of your posts in the future as they are very positive:yesyes:

Jrank1
02-05-09, 01:29
Hey we may not have found Axel yet, but Harstews a pretty good consolation prize. Welcome back sir!

cece
12-05-09, 00:19
LOL!

Jrank1
24-05-09, 21:25
Hey Harstew I hope you keep chiming in because look how old this thread is! Do you realize how many people you have probably helped just through this one post of yours? Probably ten times that many that could benefit from your experience:yesyes:

cece
12-06-09, 02:30
Hey Harstew I hope you keep chiming in because look how old this thread is! Do you realize how many people you have probably helped just through this one post of yours? Probably ten times that many that could benefit from your experience:yesyes:

What an excellent point Jrank!:yesyes:

HarStew
16-07-09, 07:30

thank you kindly sir. I still have to see Pay it Forward... but the same concept, right?

HarStew
16-07-09, 07:30

...or if you're a woman, thank you kindly ma'am... :yesyes:

andy123
16-07-09, 07:32
i might have to check this book out, thanks for the info.

cece
31-07-09, 03:59
...or if you're a woman, thank you kindly ma'am... :yesyes:
LOL. This cracked me up thanks! I never thought about whether JR was a man or a woman? At least you covered your bases unless he/she is transgender:roflmao::roflmao:

Jrank1
04-08-09, 20:51
thank you kindly sir. I still have to see Pay it Forward... but the same concept, right?

Sir is the right gender but that makes me sopund old and I'm not ...yet!
Harstew The concept of paying it forward is simply to help people with no expectation of something in return and the knowledge that by helping others you are likely to receive similar benefits from someone else.

cece
03-09-09, 23:03
JR,
do you want us to refer to you as bro or dude then?

Paying it forward is great for everyone:D

Jrank1
28-09-09, 18:14
LOL:D I think I prefer bro to dude fwiw:whistles:

cece
27-10-09, 22:56
ok, whatever Bro:roflmao::roflmao:

cece
11-12-09, 01:16
Happy holidays to everyone:D

Jrank1
15-12-09, 19:33
Merry Christmas and happy new Year to everyone:D

May everyone have an anxiety free holiday season!!!

cece
03-02-10, 01:12
Thanks my holidays were grand this season and fairly anxiety free. Hope everyone else fared well also :)

HarStew
08-02-10, 06:37
wow it's something else to read those words from myself a few years ago... I have continued to do well and working my TEA forms. I hope everything is going well for everyone else too.

cece
11-02-10, 01:29
wow it's something else to read those words from myself a few years ago... I have continued to do well and working my TEA forms. I hope everything is going well for everyone else too.

I know what you mean and isn't it great to have evidence to look back on and see how far we have come. I never expected to feel as good and energetic as I do now. I was always such a worrywart and never realized how much energy I expended just trying to not be miserable all the time. Silly as it sounds I have more energy now than I did as a teenager:yahoo:

pjb
27-02-10, 12:35
thanks i'm ordering it now. I can't believe it's not on amazon.
also, I have the Dr. Michelle Craske book too, which was good, but when you're scared and clueless with anxiety it's a little hard to digest in the beginning, as it opens with all the information about the symptoms in detail. I feel like a good book should get started in saying that yes, you're experiencing this, you won't die, they're tests to prove it, & then go on to giving you exercises to do & information on understanding things. Then in the end, after you're more comfortable and understanding and relaxed with everything, then mention detailed symptoms and such.

cece
23-03-10, 23:30
also, I have the Dr. Michelle Craske book too, which was good, but when you're scared and clueless with anxiety it's a little hard to digest in the beginning, as it opens with all the information about the symptoms in detail. I feel like a good book should get started in saying that yes, you're experiencing this, you won't die, they're tests to prove it, & then go on to giving you exercises to do & information on understanding things. Then in the end, after you're more comfortable and understanding and relaxed with everything, then mention detailed symptoms and such.

That's what I liked about the Obitz book, that it did not overwhelm me. It's what I call a friendly rather than overly technical book. I think the experts mean well but sometimes go into way too much detail too soon in their books. That is weird that they don't sell it on amazon. Craske wrote the forward for the Obitz book but it's short and sweet and not technical at all:)

Tibbs
23-04-10, 09:21
I read that book a few years ago and found it a fantastic help. I second the recommendation. If I still had it I would pass it on to someone who wasn't able to find a copy however I gave it to my mum, she loved it too!

(can I just say I am in no way affiliated to the author lol, it's just come as such a surprise seeing the book mentioned, I hadn't thought about that book in such a long time now I remember how much I liked it, I may ask my mum if she still has it)

Jrank1
02-06-10, 23:36

I am in total agreement with this! I hated how so many books seem to want to impress you with details more than they want to help you get better. I like short and simple and that was what the book by Obitz was and I still spend a few minutes each day doing the TEA forms. Hope they are helping you too pjb :)

Jrank1
02-06-10, 23:38
I read that book a few years ago and found it a fantastic help. I second the recommendation. If I still had it I would pass it on to someone who wasn't able to find a copy however I gave it to my mum, she loved it too!

(can I just say I am in no way affiliated to the author lol, it's just come as such a surprise seeing the book mentioned, I hadn't thought about that book in such a long time now I remember how much I liked it, I may ask my mum if she still has it)

Paying it forward Tibbs, I love that:yesyes:

cece
08-07-10, 02:54
Tibbs I am glad you found it to be as friendly and helpful as I have. I still do the TEA forms almost everyday and feel great:D

Jrank1
05-09-10, 18:53
Tibbs I am glad you found it to be as friendly and helpful as I have. I still do the TEA forms almost everyday and feel great:D

I love this thread because it's so cool to see that the ones of us that dedicated ourselves to cbt and the tea forms are continuing to thrive and without being on meds:yesyes:
Thanks everyone, and lets keep up the good work!

cece
23-10-10, 00:27
I love this thread because it's so cool to see that the ones of us that dedicated ourselves to cbt and the tea forms are continuing to thrive and without being on meds:yesyes:
Thanks everyone, and lets keep up the good work!

So true. The more we share our successes the more people w can help too:yesyes:

cece
24-01-11, 00:24
I hope all of you are doing well and your year is off to a great start:flowers:

vernon
24-01-11, 11:56
Thanks hope you and all yours are doing well too

cece
28-01-11, 20:17
Great to hear from you Vernon. I'm doing well and even better after hearing from you:hugs: Thanks and keep in touch, always good to hear from you!

davew
19-02-11, 20:52
Harstew, so glad to read your post here. I am just a few months into using the TEA form and it is working wonders for me but I really want to hear from someone like you who has used this method over a longer period of time. Any advice or cautions etc would be appreciated. I feel like I am finally on the road to recovery but still fear in the back of my mind that it won't be a lasting recovery?

HarStew
02-03-11, 23:46
My main advice to you would be to stick with the TEA forms. I have kept at them a few minutes most days for all these years and I am convinced that is why I have not had any relapses :)

cece
05-03-11, 02:01
My main advice to you would be to stick with the TEA forms. I have kept at them a few minutes most days for all these years and I am convinced that is why I have not had any relapses :)

Ditto the advice and nicer to hear from you Harstew. How have you been?

davew
22-03-11, 00:14

Thank you very much for the reply and advice. I plan on staying with the TEA forms as I desperately want to continue feeling as I am right now. Please do not hesitate to give me any further advice as well:D

davew
22-03-11, 00:15
Ditto the advice and nicer to hear from you Harstew. How have you been?
Thx!

cece
30-03-11, 02:47
Anytime:hugs:

Jrank1
05-04-11, 01:26
hey everyone and especially the new guy (davew):D
Dave I can reiterate that if you stick with the TEA forms they will help you more and more and start to become your normal way of thinking. I have been using them for years and you get out of them what you put into them!

cece
16-04-11, 02:26
Dave I can reiterate that if you stick with the TEA forms they will help you more and more and start to become your normal way of thinking. I have been using them for years and you get out of them what you put into them!

So true:yesyes:

davew
19-04-11, 21:33

Thx Jrank1!
I appreciate your sharing and that's really encouraging to hear:D

cece
07-05-11, 02:04
That's been my experience as well, but at this point I'd go as far as to say I reaped much more than I've sown with them:yesyes:

Jrank1
02-06-11, 00:33
Thx Jrank1!
I appreciate your sharing and that's really encouraging to hear:D

You're welcome and feel free to ask any questions you have going forward and I'll try and help:hugs:

davew
21-06-11, 23:14
You're welcome and feel free to ask any questions you have going forward and I'll try and help:hugs:

Thanks to you and cece. I'm sure I will have more questions for you but think I am good for right now. I hope both of you are doing great!:hugs:

natasha75
11-07-11, 23:17
this book sounds great so good to hear it has helped some of you,i have just ordered it hope it helps me to thank you for sharing this with us so greatful.im so happy you are both doing so well.xxxx:winks:

davew
24-07-11, 21:07
Hi Natasha,
The book is short and easy to absorb I think you will like it. THe TEA form exercise is hard at first but once you get the feel for doing them they help so much. I'm not an expert on them like some here but am happy to help if you have any questions.:hugs:

cece
12-08-11, 02:57
Doing really well and open to any questions you have davew:D

davew
12-09-11, 20:25
Cece,
I know you have stuck with the TEA forms but are you still doing the other exercises in the Sam Obitz book? Thx.

zygfried
13-09-11, 14:08
Thanks, really helpful advice. Another book to add to my huge list! And welcome to the site too. May you find it as useful and inspiring as I do!
Best wishes

cece
27-09-11, 03:26
Hi Zyg and and nice to make your acquaintance:flowers:

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Cece,
I know you have stuck with the TEA forms but are you still doing the other exercises in the Sam Obitz book? Thx.

On occasion I am, but not very often anymore:)

davew
08-12-11, 21:44
Thank U Cece. Which exercises in addition to the TEA form from his book would you recommend I do? I am feeling so much better than ever but I still think I have a lot of room for improvement left in me:flowers:

cece
22-12-11, 23:59
I just replied to your other post asking the same question so check that thread out. In a nutshell I suggested the Putting things back into perspective exercise.
Merry Christmas.

davew
21-01-12, 20:14
Thx I will check that out right now. Happy New Year everyone:D

cathycrumble
21-01-12, 20:18
Cece,

I have just bought this book as I am coming of prozac after 17 days cant handle the sickness. I hope i can understand thes tea forms lol

davew
21-01-12, 20:26
The TEA forms are simple in concept but take practice to get good at them (especially the counter thoughts for me) but the better I get at them the more relief I am feelng from them Cathy. Hard to do anything and especially something brand new when you feel sick:blush:

I think the most important thing is to get in the habit of doing them everyday and sticking with them. I have come a long way with them but still have work to do on myself.

I don't post here that often but more than willing to assist when I can and others who are farther along with them on here will offer to help you to I am sure:hugs:

cathycrumble
21-01-12, 20:44
Thanks for that. Do you take meds also or do you just rely on the tea forms?

Cathy xx

cece
04-02-12, 06:20
Hi Cathy,
Let me know if I can be of any help. I used to be on meds but have been med-free for years now thanks to CBT and the TEA forms. I do them daily and they really do keep the anxiety away once you get in the habit of doing them. I used to make 9 of the 10 thinking errors that cause anxiety on a almost daily basis, but now I seldom make any of them and usually catch myself before they take over my mind on the occasions I do make them.

davew
06-04-12, 00:19
No meds at all anymore:yesyes:
Just a few minutes a day doing my TEA forms now and I feel really good now Cathy.

cece
14-05-12, 23:36
No meds at all anymore:yesyes:
Just a few minutes a day doing my TEA forms now and I feel really good now Cathy.

That is awesome Davew. You deserve to be proud of yourself!!!

Jrank1
30-05-12, 22:46
The TEA forms are simple in concept but take practice to get good at them (especially the counter thoughts for me) but the better I get at them the more relief I am feelng from them Cathy. Hard to do anything and especially something brand new when you feel sick:blush:

I think the most important thing is to get in the habit of doing them everyday and sticking with them. I have come a long way with them but still have work to do on myself.

I don't post here that often but more than willing to assist when I can and others who are farther along with them on here will offer to help you to I am sure:hugs:

Wow, I can't believe how far you have come DaveW. Very impressive:yesyes: It was not that long ago that I was calling you the new guy and now you are posting like a seasoned cbt pro!
Keep up the good work:D

davew
12-07-12, 23:01
Thanks everyone. No one is more surprised at how far I have come than me. I really never even thought I could successfully wean off my meds much less feel this good. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Patuche
17-07-12, 10:06
What is the tea form exercise please? I have had CBT but can't afford it and have been reading about breathing exercises but would like to know what they actually are.

cece
22-07-12, 04:19
Thanks everyone. No one is more surprised at how far I have come than me. I really never even thought I could successfully wean off my meds much less feel this good. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Outstanding news Davew:hugs: Now just keep doing what got you here (and I would recommend TEA forming every day for at least a few minutes) and you will probably feel even better and have less chance of a fallback to your old problems:D

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

What is the tea form exercise please? I have had CBT but can't afford it and have been reading about breathing exercises but would like to know what they actually are.

The TEA forms are not a breathing exercise but rather a written thought countering exercise popularized in the CBT book by Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske. They are what turned my life around and work well if you dedicate yourself to doing them daily.

uklad
23-07-12, 20:24
just ordered mine £13.27 to uk hope it doesnt take long to come, sounds interesting !

cece
25-07-12, 05:31
just ordered mine £13.27 to uk hope it doesnt take long to come, sounds interesting !

I'm in the usa and it came really quickly for me. Hope it comes quickly for you too:hugs:

davew
09-08-12, 21:50

It's worth the wait if it takes a while to get there. The TEA forms have really helped me help myself feel a lot better and changed the way I react in situations so they are less anxiety causing now.

cece
26-08-12, 18:07

Hi uklad,
Just checking back to see how the TEA forms are going for you?
I hope they are helping you:)

davew
11-10-12, 22:30
Hi uklad and Cece,

Wondering how you are doing to UKlad?
Please check in with an update when you get this:)

cece
16-10-12, 01:02
I'm doing well Davew, thank you for asking:)
Love to hear an update from UKlad too?

davew
25-05-13, 00:09
Hi Cece,
I am doing really really well (probably why I have neglected to post for a while sorry). How's life treating you?

cece
02-08-13, 19:57
Hi Cece,
I am doing really really well (probably why I have neglected to post for a while sorry). How's life treating you?

I'm doing very well thank you for asking. It's easy to get caught up in life when things are going well, happens to me all the time, so no apology necessary.

davew
21-08-13, 23:56
Thanks for understanding and keep in touch:hugs:

cece
05-09-13, 00:17
Will do and keep getting better:yesyes:

davew
16-06-14, 23:32
Will do and keep getting better:yesyes:

Thanks Cece. I can't imagine getting much better as life is wonderful now that I experience very little anxiety. Thanks for all of your help and encouragement:hugs:

cece
01-02-15, 00:04
That's good news Davew! Happy help and hope you are doing great!

AsianFidgetME
28-02-15, 14:24
I want to try the book... But I am having a hard time ordering it. Its not available in our local bookstore. So depressing. I need to calm my mind. I'm from PH. :/

Davit
17-05-15, 23:43
Why buy the book, the forms are on line.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

These posts are old, how many of you have stopped needing the tea forms.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

I guess that last question was a waste of time, they ae all gone.