PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Amanda3266
17-11-03, 20:09
Hi there,

My name is Amanda, I'm 37 and have been suffering from panic attacks/General anxiety for the last year. At present I am pretty desperate as I am suffering with an illness type phobia which makes me convince myself that I have cancer or some other life threatening illness when I have minor symptoms such as diarrhoea etc. When this happens I have a real panic/anxiety attack which takes the form of a burning sensation spreading over my body and I get a dry mouth and a funny taste. I've had some biggish problems this year - a caesarean section last December when I had my son and then a diagnosis of gallstones in April after four months of seeing my GP with severe indigestion which both he and I put down to panic attacks and post natal depressiopn. My gall baldder was removed in July and I'm now well again but I can't help going over all this past history in my head and panicking that I've got something seriously wrong with me.
To give you an idea of how daft this is I was told by the anaesthetist when I went in to have my gall bladder out that "Thanks to this you've had a pretty good MOT and you're nice and healthy - all your blood results are fairly good". So why do I still torture myself that I might be unwell. I'm already on antidepressants and they have helped but only to a certain degree.
Any advice from those more experienced and further down the recovery road than me appreciated. I'm driving my poor husband mad but he is very supportive - just scared that it's all to do with him (it isn't - he's wonderful).

Amanda

Amanda3266
17-11-03, 20:13
PS: I should have added that when I have these attacks the only thing that calms me down is a drink. I'm not a big drinker - around 3 units a week (if that). However, when I feel scared and panicky nothing calms me down like a shot of brandy (or whatever we have in the house).

For the fist time I can understand how people become alcoholics. Surely it shouldn't take alcohol to make me feel normal?

Amanda

nomorepanic
17-11-03, 21:36
Hi Amanda

Welcome to the site :-)

I posted a reply about alcohol - let me just find it and post it here.

To see all replies about alcohol then enter the word in the search box at the top of the screen.

Nicola

nomorepanic
17-11-03, 21:42
Amanda, here you go ....

"I used to test my illness with alcohol.

If I felt really bad and I was convinced it was a real illness, I used to have a few drinks. If the "pain" was still there after a few drinks then I must be really ill but if it went then it must be panic.

Needlesss to say the "pains" always went (as it was Panic/anxiety) but I carried on testing the theory with alcohol none the less.

I still drink but nothing like I used to - must be my age!!"

Nicola

Amanda3266
18-11-03, 06:37
Hi Nicola,

Thanks for replying. I'm so glad I've found this site as I feel a good deal better this morning for having done so. At least I can relate to everything people are saying here and know that I'm not ill - just having a panic and this can be dealt with.

Amanda:)

nomorepanic
18-11-03, 21:18
Amanda

Some people are printing out some of Meg's advice and taking it with them so when they panic they can read through it - it will help just to read about it.

Take care

Nicola