PDA

View Full Version : Scattiness on Citalopram

willp
07-04-08, 09:58
Hi there,

I've been on Citalopram for about four months now and it has really helped me now I've got over the initial side affects.

However I am much more forgetful than I used to be and find I have to write everything down or I forget it. I don't remember conversations I've had (even very recent ones) and when reading I forget details, characters etc.

I'm in my late 20s and don't think this can be caused by anything other than the medication. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do things improve once you've come off meds?

Many thanks,

Will

Hope 2
07-04-08, 10:21
Hiya Will :D

Not sure if this will help but I have been on citalopram for a few years . I am defo more scatty than I used to be . I kinda put this down to the fact that my head is crammed full of the nonsense that are the reasons I am on the drug in the first place . Therefore I can't think straight half the time and there is no room for memory type recall :wacko: .

So for me , it's not the medication but the reasons why I am on them that make me this way .

Best wishes
Hope xx

willitstop
07-04-08, 10:39
Im exactly the same i cant remember the most recent things and it drives me crazy think im going to come off my meds
good luck

poppet
08-04-08, 10:23
Hi...

I think I'm going to start my perscription of 20mg citalopram today.

I had initially joined here to research it as best as possible as I admit to being a weed smoker and have heard the two (although I'm desperate to quit) don't mix so well...

Thing is I'm completely scatty already!

In any office job I have done my short term memory is so bad that the job never lasts longer than a few months....I even went into Beauty Therapy as it seemed less 'taxing'..(also a job that forces you to smile all the time and put in all your energy to your clients...noone wants a depressed/sinical/scatty therapist!)

So my memory is already beyond s**t!

BASICALLY.....I'm hoping my brain function/memory will improve when I manage to defeat the ganja goblin that pops into my head daily....but will my 'scattyness' get worse? (i appreciate you don't know what level I'm on now).

Willitstop,,,,are you coming off because the scattyness outweighs the positive effects you have got from it?.....After getting through the initial side effects?

xx poppet xx.

willp
08-04-08, 10:38
Thanks both,

I've considered coming off meds myself but have decide to stick with them as I can live with forgetfulness for now. I also get double vision for which my GP referred me to the hospital for more checks but there wasn't anything obviously wrong so it was put down to the meds.

Willitstop - You could see if your GP can prescribe anything else which doesn't make you forgetful. It might just be that Citalopram isn't right for you.

Hope - I definitely agree - it's far more complicated than just taking a pill to make you feel better. It's hard to know which side effects are down to meds and which are due anxiety / depression.

willp
08-04-08, 10:50
Sorry Poppet - I wasn't ignoring you, we just posted at the same time.

I'm willing to bet that weed affects memory and you're definitely doing the right thing by defeating the Ganja Goblin.

Good luck.

Franz
08-04-08, 12:34
My thought processes are definitely a little duller on Citalopram. It's swings and roundabouts.

I used to be on clomipramine. For a while I came off completely and was amazed how much more alert I was - I hadn't really noticed much of a slow-down on the "way up". Unfortunately with the increased alertness came increased anxiety. You can't have your cake and eat it :(

samc100
09-04-08, 19:39
I found I got scatty when taking Citalopram so I carried a small note book with me everywhere.

I have always been alittle scatty and it just seems to empthasis the matter!

I haven't been on the tablets for nearly a year now and I am still forgetful and scatty. But I have coping strategies ( a day file at work on my desk, calendar and notice board in the kitchen at home, a diary for daily reporting, a filofax and endless notepads around the house!) so I don't mind really.