PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

Socks
08-04-08, 11:20
Hi All,

I was recently recommended to look at this site and did so for the first time last night. I can't believe how many people go through the same things as me on a daily basis...it felt like I was the only one!

I'm 23 years old and started having panic attacks about 4 years ago. It started with usual chest pain, breathlessness, and a slight fear of silly everyday things like queing in shops and going on nights out with friends. This went on for around 12 months and after a little work and lots of help from my mum they just seem to pass and I was cured! I got on with life as normal and things were great.

Around 18 months ago I remember coming home from work feeling quite anxious...can't even remeber what about now! Anyway my panic attacks came back with a vengence! The symptoms were completely different to what I'd experienced the first time...hot flushes, dizziness, feeling faint, blurred vision, the list goes on. I went to the docs and was tested for everything under the sun, everything came back as normal. I was then terrified to do anything on my own, even getting the bus to work incase I had a funny turn and was on own. Although I now haven't had a panic attack since November 07, I suffer from constant anxiety about everything! My life has become smaller and smaller as I find more and more things difficult to do and so spend my time at work or home.

I was referred to a stress mangement course which I prayed would be the answer to my prayers, unfortunately I don't feel it has helped me at all. I have my good and bad days but it's frustrating as I'm worried this is my life forever and I don't know who to turn to for help as my doctor doesn't seem interested!

I hope this hasn't been too boring to read...I would love any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks
Socks.

Lilith1980
08-04-08, 11:25
Hi Socks

Welcome to NMP :)

Its nice to know you're not alone isnt it. You will get some great advice and support from the people on here :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

kellie
08-04-08, 12:32
hiya socks :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :D you have come to the right place for lots of advice and support. there is a list on the left and a section called SELF HELP have a good read of that. dont forget to visit the chat room where you can talk to us all about things or just have a relax and a giggle.

best wishes
take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie .xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lindalou64
08-04-08, 12:38
Hello Socks And Welcome.......i Wish Ya Well..............linda

nooey
08-04-08, 14:07
Welcome to NMP

Looking forward to meeting you in chat or on the boards

Love nooeyxx

chalky
08-04-08, 17:40
Hi Socks,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

bluebell68
08-04-08, 17:42
Hi socks...... Anxiety sucks, it really does, but it wont be you life forever...trust me.... it may come and go but there are many ways you can beat it. You will find some great suggestions on the site and tons of support... its a case of trial and error to find what works for you and it may take time....but you lived a life without anxiety before and you will do again.... stay strong.... :hugs:

ps. if your doc isn't interested, then i would change docs... anxiety is real and should be taken as seriously by the medical profession as any other life changing illness
xx Rach

nomorepanic
08-04-08, 19:00
Hi Socks

Love the name

:welcome: aboard and hope we can be of some help

bottleblond
08-04-08, 19:09
Hiya there socks!!

A HUGE welcome to you. You know as i was reading you thread, it was like reading about myself in my younger years.

Thing is with anxiety/panic attacks/phobias ect....there now is SOOOO much help out there. When i was your age it was right off to visit your cpn and if that didnt work then a psycologist. Now people can actualy get out there with you and help.

There is lots and lots of good advice here on the main forum, or come along to the chat room and have a chin wag with the rest of us!!

Good luck hun

Love Lisa
xxxx

honeybee3939
08-04-08, 19:56
Hi Socks
BIG warm :welcome: from me too hun, glad to see you have joined us:smile: .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxxx

Joe1981
09-04-08, 03:48
Welcome to the site! :D

trac67
09-04-08, 11:33
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Nibbles
09-04-08, 20:18
Hi Socks and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. When you look at your life and anxiety as a whole it can seem very daunting so my advice would be to concentrate on overcoming one area. By doing this you purposefully decide to leave other parts of your life alone for the time being which in itself can reduce the stress.

When I joined, two of the things I found difficult was work and eating out. As I felt work was more important I concentrated on reducing the anxiety it caused first and then moved on to eating out.

Take care,

Mike :)

Take care,

Mike :)