PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who use diazepam on an ‘as needed’ basis…

Nel
08-04-08, 12:46
I’ve overcame agoraphobia (which I developed through fear of an anxiety attack and intrusive thoughts) with the help of CBT, I’ve made excellent progress.
I’ve used diazepam during my exposure and practice in very small quantities and had run out last week. My doctor gave me 5 x 2mg tablets (so 10mg in total) and when I asked her what she considered to be an ‘as needed’ basis she said she would prescribe me 10mg (so 5 tablets of the smallest dosage) once a YEAR! I’m unsure if this is the norm so my question is if you use diazepam on an as needed basis how much do you use? My doctor actually suggested that if I were using any more than 10mg in a year I should consider one or two CBT sessions (not that she would offer me CBT, I’d have to pay privately!) for the ‘psychological dependence’!

louwilliams
08-04-08, 13:00
my doctor gave me a prescription of 28 x 2mg every 28 days so in essence i can only take 1 a day if needed (I dont take anything near that amount) but there is a clause on the script which says I have to have 28 days between each one-and i think the repeat is for 12 or 10 months

some GP's are very very cautious about prescribing them as they are so easy to get addidcted to so I di understand their caution but I would go back and explain how you are feeling abou them and see if you can get it changed-or go to another GP

Lou xxx

nanny
08-04-08, 13:28
Hi Nel

Firstly congratulations on overcoming your agoraphobia, a big well done:yesyes:

As for the diazepam, i'm surprised your GP is still prescribing them at all, i am addictd to the things and have been for 10 years now:blush: but the surgery i go to are now not giving out any of these tabs but something else instead which is not so addictive.

Unfortunatley it's too late for me to change them but please do think carefully before taking these tabs, it is ok if you only take them on a when needed basis but that can soon spiril if not careful.:)

Nel
08-04-08, 13:46
Thanks for replying guys :)

Just to clarify, I know all about the addiction element of diazepam which is why I have always been very responsible – and which is why I was really rather insulted when my doctor mentioned ‘psychological dependence’ over my using 10mg in 4 months! I’m not worried and I’m not looking for this script to be upped (in fact I doubt I’ll even have it dispensed), I was just looking for a comparison with others who have used them on an ‘as needed’ basis (not regularly/daily).

decca
08-04-08, 18:12
Nanny,
I'd be interested to know the name of the med that's less addictive than Diaz. The only other meds I've been offered are in the antidepressant class of drug.
Cheers
Decca.

miss motown
08-04-08, 21:13
my gp prescribes me 28 of 2ml every 28days i dont use them all the time i just like to no i have them if i need them the funny thing is i no exatly wot shes going to say when i go in (we,ll have to start reducing the dosage soon) shes been saying that for years.

kazzie
08-04-08, 21:21
Hi:D

My doc gives me 5mg in pack of 28!!

Ive had 2 scripts in a year

Kaz x x x:)

alexis
08-04-08, 22:36
Hi, well done on overcoming agrophobia, approx 3 years ago I was rushed into hospital for the first time in my life with nothing less than a massive heart attack, turned out to be a severe anxiety attack, I was treated very well and sent home with four 5mg of valium, since then Ive had a prescription for ten 2mg, (and seperate ones for flying, five 2mg ones) so all in all Ive taken 40mg (without the flying ones)and then I went two weeks ago to get my ones for flying and to have in for emergencies I was given ten 2mg and told I could become addicted!
I would like to know of an alternative, especially a natural one if anytone can advise.xx

margaret911
08-04-08, 22:47
I have diazapan 2mg on my repeat prescription but I don't always order them and I havent taken one for over a year now but I know they are there if I need them. I still suffer with panic attacks but my partner talks me through them, if I didn't have him I think I might probably be taking more diazapan.
Mags xx

Franz
08-04-08, 23:08
Jeez - I've got through 28x2mg Diazepam this year! My doc said taking 4mg once a week/10 days (which is what I do) wouldn't lead to addiction; and I'm careful not to take them any more frequently than that. I'm pretty sure I'm not addicted - I mean I've been 2 weeks without taking one so surely I'd know if I was!

Dunno, it sounds to me as though your doctor is being very cautious, but then I guess drugs affect different people to different degrees.

Nel
09-04-08, 10:22
Thanks for all the replies.
It seems my doctor IS just very extreme, she reckons that I have made sufficient progress not to need any diazepam AT ALL but I’d rather she let me be the judge of that – particularly in view of the small qauntities I’ve been using. In truth I’m not that keen on her, she’s got a very arrogant manner and hasn’t actually been of any help in all the time I’ve been seeing her (the only help I’ve had was through private healthcare). I usually have a review appointment with her every couple of months but I doubt I’ll go back and see her again, if I need to see a GP about anything I’ll see one of the others in the practice.

pooh
09-04-08, 16:03
i recently had a two week prescription for 2x2mg per day which was followed by another prescription for 2x5mg a day for two weeks. I havent had any for over two weeks as it was intended to get me over any possible rough start with starting prozac. Just shows though how different docs prescribe!

decca
09-04-08, 16:49
I used to suffer from extreme tension, pulpitations and tachicardia specially first thing in the morning.
My Doc prescribed Diaz to be taken 1x2mg twice a day and 2x2mg at bedtime, but I only take 1x2mg in the morning before getting out of bed , it's really helped me tremendously.
Decca

nanny
10-04-08, 08:50
Hi decca

I'm not sure what they are called but i do have a friend who is a pharmacist, as soon as i can i will talk to him and see if i can find the name of them:)

Nell i think you're right in changing that doctor, my dr was away once and although it is down on my records as being addicted to these tabs and not to be left without i almost had to fight her to get them.
Wish dr's took more notice of us as WE know our body better than them, some dr's are lovely so i'm not saying all dr's are the same :-)

decca
10-04-08, 12:15
Thanks Nanny

nanny
10-04-08, 13:31
Hi decca
just got hold of my friend he said if it's for panic or anxiety you could ask the dr for either...........

seroxate or escitalopram he said they ARE anit depressants but they are meant to reduce the symptoms.

I'm not sure what to think of that really as i was taking diazepam along with citilopram but if you are unsure about it you could always ask your docs opinion.

hope i've helped and sorry if i haven't:doh:

freakedout
10-04-08, 18:49
Hi, I take 5mg as and when needed which is rare.

I usually get a prescription for 7 tablets but I only use them when my coping mechanisms have totally gone.

I sucessfully avoid lots of my panic situations and as I am not working my panic attacks have reduced significantly but I have a meeting coming up soon for my sons school appeal and I will defo take the diazepam in the run up to the meeting and on the day.

I find that my symptoms persist and my thoughts dont go away even when I have taken diazepam, this probably explains why I only use it very occasionally. It does help a little but not enough for me to want to take it regularly

Freaky

decca
10-04-08, 19:11
Thanks Nanny
Yea I'm with you on that - They are Paroxatine and Cipralex , both ssri's and essentially antidepressants. To many side effects for me thanks.
Thanks for the info though.
Now that things are settling down for me and I'm getting used to being retired, I'm going to start reducing the 1*2mg Diaz . I'm now taking, I'll just gradually nibble it down to nothing over the next 6 weeks or so.
Cheers
Decca.

nanny
11-04-08, 13:39
Hi decca

I can see your really positive about all this and i wish you luck:yesyes:

Hope you enjoy your retirement. :yahoo:

decca
11-04-08, 14:23
Thanks nanny,
Retirement takes a lot of practice and I'm practising hard , lol.
Decca.