PDA

View Full Version : What to do with exefor venlafaxine 150 mg

breakingoutthistime
08-04-08, 15:53
This september will be four years that have been on venlafaxine 150 mg anti depressants and now dont really feel that they are doing much.
Anxiety needs to be controlled by buspar and propanolol and its not exactly helping on that front.
The depression side things are much improved sure but what mean is not sure they are not helping with other issues:
These issues are
0 to 10 10 being the most severe it gets.
Feeling spaced out lost feelings of unreality 8/10
Feeling angry and resentful 6.8/10
Feeling disorientated dizzy 5.5 10
Feeling panic nervous tension anxiety 8 10
Feeling sedated lethagic drained 7.5 10
Feeling low and pointless unmotivated 7 10

Now realise that all drugs have side effects and if miss a dose
then feel dizzy bascially s***.
But these side effects spacing out like am not yet awake all the time glazed over like in a trance has nothing to do with not getting enough sleep.
Anxiety used to be rocketed and soared by boozing night before but now drink problem is sorted and hardly drink the anxiety is bad, panic and nerves so it does nothing for that.
Also am overweight sort of beer gut podgy gut and flab nothing major but when try and shift it through exercise am not seeing results so it could be the metabalisim issue.
Now venlafaxine is a very hard drug to come off so reducing ways what is the safest.
Reducing the beads daily or every other day in capsule feel that this could be the safest way but it seems impractical.
Missing pill out every other day seems risky
Going down in strength 150 to 75 to 32 etc halfed safe but lengthy not that it matters.

Want the quickest method but of course the safest method.
Even if it takes a year.

Am 27 now and have feel like now is the time want to come off this drug for good.

jo61
09-04-08, 10:12
I suggest you go back to your GP and work out a schedule for coming off Effexor. Unfortunately there isn't a fast method unless you're very lucky. I had no trouble getting to 75mg, then taking it every second day, then every third day. When I went below that I started to experience severe withdrawal. Unfortunately the 37.5mg tablet isn't available in extended release form and made me very nauseous.

I'm now on a carefully managed programme involving some prozac as it has a much longer half life. I hope to be completely off it by the summer, that's how long it's likely to take. You're not in a race, take it slowly and with medical help.

:hugs:

Insomniac
09-04-08, 16:22
Hi there,

I came off venlafaxine (for depresion) about 5 years ago. Coming was hard but I did it slowly and reduced it as much as I could then planned a few days (during which I knew withdrawl would be at it s worst) over which to stop taking it altogether.

Talking to your GP is always the first stop. They can often help or advise.

I've been taking for anxiety for about 2 years now and its been great! I've just found out I'm pregnant though and must come off it. I'm taking 20 and tried 10mg but found it hard. She said if I take 20 one day then 10 the next for a week first it should be easier. So my main advice is that, GP's can be good or bad (I've known both), but they can help with this sort of thing.

I do wish you all the best with coming off meds. Maybe we can commiserate about withdrawl effects! :scared15:

breakingoutthistime
09-04-08, 20:18
Will prozac help with withdrawal from it the dizzyness etc the headaches feeling shi*

Insomniac
09-04-08, 21:45
if symptoms are unbearable (I know they make you feel cr*p!), tell your doctor they might be able to help more.

But I do think you should be totally off one before taking another. Hang in there.:winks:

jo61
10-04-08, 11:36
It has helped me with the side effects of withdrawal. Works for me maybe not for others. Insomniac, my shrink would disagree - I'm only on prozac temporarily as a tool to get me off the effexor, then it's easier to wean me off that.

Insomniac
14-04-08, 14:45
Oh I see. (sorry)

Glad to hear they are trying their best to help you though. Its not easy but its worth it in the end. Yes, I truly do believe that! :winks:

pete69
16-04-08, 19:41
prozac might be a good idea actually,as they generally have way fewer side effects than any other ssri and seem to be tolerated better for us guys.

personally they didnt touch my anxiety,but i dont think ssris shouldnt be prescribed for anxiety,they make it 10x worse imo.