PDA

View Full Version : I did it !!

Pickle
08-04-08, 16:29
My brother was rushed to hospital on 19th Dec after suffering some sort of aneurysm in his throat. He was moved to Frimley Park Hospital 10 weeks ago and as I suffer from panic attacks and agorophobia I hadnt managed to go to see him. I had tried to break the journey into manageable chunks, but no luck.

Tommorrw he is being moved to Putney Neurological Hospital and if I was going to get to see him, today was the last day.

After a really bad night of tears, sleeplessness and general anxiety, I decided at lunchtime it was now or never.

Half an hour later I was sitting by his bed giving him the biggest hug I could. I stayed for 45 minutes until he fell asleep and then i went back to work. I cant say whether he knew it was me or not but just being there made me feel I was helping him. He managed to blink 'yes' answers to a couple of questions but by then was getting quite tired.

I didnt even worry about the journey home, I was still feeling as if Id reached for the moon, and managed to touch it.

Now Im home and feeling absolutely exhausted, but I did it. I did it for him and I did it for me

It's the success stories I have read that made me realise it's only me who could make that move, and that even tho it may be hard, it would be worth it.

It was xx

bluebell68
08-04-08, 16:47
Hi Pickle .... thats amazing !... well done, you should be very proud... it will inspire so many people to keep trying ...
Congrats

Lilith1980
08-04-08, 17:13
Hi Pickle

Well done honey, you did amazingly well, you should be so proud of yourself :D

Keep at it hun :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

den42
08-04-08, 17:43
hi pickle
its amazing what us agoraphobics can do in a situation like that,my friend was in hospital and i kept putting it off, but i knew if i didnt go and see her i would regret it, im glad i did go as afew days later she passed away, i knew i would have felt extremely guilty for not going, even though she knew i wasnt good with travelling she also said that if i ever went to see her in hospital then she must be bad bless her
so really well done for achieving that goal
take care
denise

bobsy
08-04-08, 18:53
Well done of going to see your brother.

Be proud of what you have achieved. I bet you feel so pleased of yourself.

By doing these things that we dont want too gives us that confidence to do it again.

bobsy x

honeybee3939
08-04-08, 20:04
Hi Pickle

You did absolutley brilliant ! WELL DONE, today as been a real challenge for you, and a challenge you have beaten !:yesyes:

Be real proud of yourself, i hope your brother make a speedy recovery too, hugs to you both:hugs: :hugs:

Andrea
xxxxx

Lindalou64
09-04-08, 13:45
Hi Pickle Glad To Hear You Got Out And Did It And Seen Your Brother You Did Great....and You Can Do It Again...stay Positive And I Wish Ya Well And A Fast Recovery For Ya Brother.........linda Xx

Pickle
10-04-08, 17:01
:) Thank you everyone, it's lovely to see how people care x

Well, he's been moved to Putney now so that's got to be my next goal!! I haven't really got time to do the baby steps unfortunately and as we dont know how long he is likely to be there, I have to try to do the journey.

Onwards and upwards as they say :yesyes:

Take care

kate
10-04-08, 17:31
Sometimes the baby steps just make the anxiety more prolonged, diving in headlong can be the best way.

Well done on coping so well :D

Kate

Pickle
20-04-08, 00:27
I did it again!!

Some of you may remember that my brother was rushed to hospital in December and it took me until 8April to overcome the agorophobia to visit him at Frimley. If he had been at the local hsopital I would have been with him every day, but Frimley was just too far.

Anyway I did it and I felt so proud of myself

Tonight I spent the eveing with my sister in law at their house (about 8 miles away). I know to some it doesnt seem much, but to an agorophobic it means the world.

We left at 8pm and I have just got in. Had a great journey over and spent a lovely 3 hours just chatting, laughing and having fun. My brother knew how much I wanted to get better and was such a support, and my sister in law seems to have picked up while he is ill.

I just wanted you all to know, that if I can do it, anyone can.

I'm going to build on these two successes as I desperately want to visit him at Putney and no matter how long it takes me to get there - I will

Take care everyone

x

Karen
20-04-08, 02:00
Well done Pickle :hugs: You have every reason to feel proud. You have come a long way and I bet your family are very proud too.

Karen xx

marie1974
20-04-08, 10:59
thats wonderful news to hear pickle and just goes to show we can do it if we want too, taking little steps and helping ourselves. im proud of you xxxx

Pickle
20-04-08, 11:10
Thanx Donna, I must admit I'm quite proud of myself too lol.

I now know that with me, it's a case of not resting on my laurels or I'll be back to square one before I know it.

So today I'm going to plan two trips out this week - trips beyond my comfort zones.

Take care

x

Lilith1980
20-04-08, 12:12
Hey Pickle, well done again honey! :D

Its great to hear you are building on the success since you went to see your brother, you keep going hun :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

Pickle
20-04-08, 12:17
Thanx Jo :hugs:

It's amazing how one little triumph changes my way of thinking!

Whether we 'pass' or 'fail' is not important on NMP, it's that fact that we all ATTEMPT things, they are the successes we can build on.

Take care x

Jaco45er
20-04-08, 12:19
Well done Pickle, you should be proud, you done great :)

Jaco

Angel64
20-04-08, 12:22
Well done you did amazing and I'm sure he felt the love in that hug :bighug1:

Hope he gets better soon.

Christine xx :flowers: