PDA

View Full Version : A question!!

karenb
09-04-08, 16:50
I am trying to cope with my panic attacks - Next time gonna try to stay put and let it wash over me and not escape from it. Can someone tell me if it's a good way to try and cope or will the attack be worse?:scared15:

AtmoLav
09-04-08, 18:59
Karen, it's the BEST way to deal with it. The attack will be over before you know it, and you'll be fine.

bottleblond
10-04-08, 13:09
Hi Karen!!

Yeah it is supposed to be the best way of dealing with the dreaded PA. Stay put till it goes and then realise it did you no harm and the place you hard it holds no fear!!

Good luck with it hun

Love Lisa
xxxxx

Granty
11-04-08, 08:55
Hi Karen,

It's unpleasant (but so is running away!) but it DOES work!!

Guaranteed!!!

Granty

karenb
11-04-08, 08:59
Hi Karen,

It's unpleasant (but so is running away!) but it DOES work!!

Guaranteed!!!

Granty

Has it worked for you? I am worried that it will make it worse!

Karen

smudgie
11-04-08, 09:07
Hi There
All the support I get no one has ever tried to help me with the actual panic attack and tell me Im going to be ok after.

My hubby did though, he made me sit with it and experince the feeling, helped me to breath through it and come out the other side.

Its very scarey but Im still here. I used to run around frightened and be completely out of control, sometimes it still happens but my hubby taught me to go with it. I cant thank him enough for helping me.

IT HELPS

Take care
Smudgie

karenb
11-04-08, 09:10
So will it get easier ech time? I'm more worried if it happens when I am on my own - like this afternoon I have a hos appointment.

Bill
12-04-08, 01:47
Karen, your "worry" creates your panics and you worry about them because you're afraid of them.

Once you sit through one and let it do its worst, you'll realise that although the symptoms are frightening, they ALWAYS pass and when you discover that, you'll no longer be so afraid, you won't then worry so much about them and they'll stop happening.

I used to have panic attacks but I don't anymore Because I don't even "think" about them anymore.

It's true that even when you've become no longer afraid of them that certain situations may still make you feel panicky but the feelings won't then terrify you so they won't then become full panic attacks so in effect things becomes easier.:hugs:

Granty
14-04-08, 12:57
Hi Nerak,

It does work for me.

I used to take to my bed if I had bad boughts of anxiety/waves of panic.

I think it doesn't help to do that as you end up lying there with nothing to distract your mind.

For me, getting through a day's work feels more rewarding although it can still be difficult I find I'm feeling much better if I face it and see it through with as little tension as possible.

I'm not saying it's not unpleasant - it is however it's not as bad as before and 99% of times it stops in it's tracks rather than becoming full blown panic.

You say 'what if it makes it worse?'

What if it doesn't? Take the risk and find out. I'll bet you'll be surprised by the results! And when you get confidence from facing it and seeing it through nothing can take that confidence or the memory of having coped with the experience away from you. This in turn will help you in the future when you have to face the same feelings again.

Good luck,

Granty

SueBee
14-04-08, 13:10
Karen, if you decide to follow the advice, please post again to let us know how it goes. I have heard before that you should let the panic "do its worst" rather than running from it but i've always been too scared to try it. at the moment, at the first sign i'm going for a walk. it does work but i guess thats running away from it ....... love to hear how you get on ..... good luck :)

Tom_M
14-04-08, 22:02
Give it a go Karen, it won't hurt you. I remember one time when out drinking and I had a panic attack in a pub. So I got a taxi to A&E, to get some tranquillisers, but the sods wouldn't give me any. Anyway, by that time the panic wore off, so I got a taxi back to the pub to finish my pint. Just shows that you can ride them out.

Granty
15-04-08, 09:47
Hi Sue,

I wouldn't be so down on yourself - going for a walk doesn't mean you're running away from yourself!

By that reasoning me going to my work would be running away form myself because it helps me cope!!!

I would say (although I don't know your circumstances so forgive me if this sounds glib or contrite!) that if you locked yourself away from the world that would be running away from your panic rather than doing the opposite - going out into the world and going for a walk.

They do say that exercise is a great benefit for anxiety so why not!

You shouldn't be dismissive of yourself!

:)

Cheers,

Granty

SueBee
15-04-08, 10:02
Thats me told! lol :ohmy:

Your comments are quite right though,I AM trying to do whats best for ME for a change and if going for a walk works, then so be it!

Granty
15-04-08, 12:56
Good for you!

Richie
15-04-08, 16:05
Hi Karen,
just want to say that this is absolutely the best way to deal with panic and anxiety of any kind.:yesyes:
Just wish i had the courage myself at moment but am determined to put my own CBT in place soon
Really hope you have success, and keep it up too :hugs:
Let us know how you get on?
It is a good idea to start off with small things that are more manageable and then work your way up in your own time at your own pace.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\Good (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/) Luck Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hugs: