PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Amanda3266
17-11-03, 19:28
Hi there,

My name is Amanda, I'm 37 and have been suffering from panic attacks/General anxiety for the last year. At present I am pretty desperate as I am suffering with an illness type phobia which makes me convince myself that I have cancer or some other life threatening illness when I have minor symptoms such as diarrhoea etc. When this happens I have a real panic/anxiety attack which takes the form of a burning sensation spreading over my body and I get a dry mouth and a funny taste. I've had some biggish problems this year - a caesarean section last December when I had my son and then a diagnosis of gallstones in April after four months of seeing my GP with severe indigestion which both he and I put down to panic attacks and post natal depressiopn. My gall baldder was removed in July and I'm now well again but I can't help going over all this past history in my head and panicking that I've got something seriously wrong with me.
To give you an idea of how daft this is I was told by the anaesthetist when I went in to have my gall bladder out that "Thanks to this you've had a pretty good MOT and you're nice and healthy - all your blood results are fairly good". So why do I still torture myself that I might be unwell. I'm already on antidepressants and they have helped but only to a certain degree.
Any advice from those more experienced and further down the recovery road than me appreciated. I'm driving my poor husband mad but he is very supportive - just scared that it's all to do with him (it isn't - he's wonderful).

Amanda

twister
17-11-03, 21:36
Welcome to the board Amanda. You'll find lots of support and help here - and theres plenty of people here who have come out the other side!:)

Meg
17-11-03, 23:06
Hi Amanda,

This is so common especially for people who have at some stage had trouble being actually being diagnosed for something ie gallstones. It's a confidence thing.

It's now down to you to switch your negative thought pattern that is at the cause of all this from 'oh , whats wrong, I've got diarrhoea'? to ' I'm so glad that I'm so healthy and can cope with minor ailments easily ' or words to that effect that you're comfortable with and switch your inner conversations with yourself.

As soon as the hypochondriac thoughts come you need to immediately switch to the more realistic, rational sentences and keep saying it ad nauseum.

There is a post under anxiety called 'keeping thoughts in perspective' . Please take a look at that too.

It does pass with persistance..

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
18-11-03, 00:54
Hiya Amanda!!!

Glad to have you here. You have definitely found the right place, there is so much help and support here. Keep reading the posts, you will definitely find something here that works for you. Just try, try, try, to keep positive thoughts flowing at all times. It seems for me to be "mind over matter". I can usually talk myself down from anxiety or a full blown panic attack. Keep coming back to let us know how you are getting along.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Amanda3266
18-11-03, 05:33
Thank you all for replying so quickly. I'm feeling a good deal more positive this morning and so glad to have found a forum which helps me feel not so alone with all this. Meg, I've read your post under "General Anxiety" this morning as you advised - there's some really sound advice there, so much so that I've saved it and will print it off to put in my bag so I have it with me at all times. A really down to earth, readable approach to help me realise I'm not going nuts - just responding as any human would to panic.

Many thanks everyone

Amanda:) Feeling happy this morning.

diana
18-11-03, 13:03
Hey Amanda!!!

Glad to hear you are feeling "HAPPY" this morning. We are all in this together, and together we will beat this!!!! Take care, stay positive and remember this forum and the people are always here for ya!!!!

Cheers!!!

Diana xxx

sadie
18-11-03, 19:50
Hi Amanda,

I too have a constant fear that I have some kind of terrible illness such as brain tumour, heart disease, cancer etc. I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for 3 years now and this has been a constant worry throughout this time. I too have had lots of tests, such as 3 ECG's which all show nothing is wrong, blood tests, blood pressure checks and now I am going for a MRI scan as I also suffer migraines but this is just for a precautionary measure. I have got a lot better lately and especially since I have found this great site and getting lots of great and helpful advice from others who also experience the same symptoms. Keep in touch... we can all get there together!

sadie

nomorepanic
18-11-03, 21:17
Hi Amanda

I seemed to have missed this post for some reason.

Welcome aboard. You will be 'looked after' here and supported as much as you want.

Each day you wake up feeling a little positive is a little bash on the head for those gremlins.

Take care

Nicola

Amanda3266
19-11-03, 18:42
Thank you all once again. And Sadie, I'm glad I'm not alone in these irrational fears.

Amanda