PDA

View Full Version : My oasis

Bill
10-04-08, 17:51
When things became too much to bear at home, I'd go out with the dog and walk for miles. Just me and him together. My loyal faithful companion by my side. Rain or shine he never moaned. Never gave me stress or hassle. No words full of hurt. No daggers digging deep.

Through estates, roads, woods and fields we'd walk until one day I found my oasis. My place of reflection and tranquillity away from everyone and the hurt in this world.

This place was in the middle of nowhere. A small pond rising from an underground stream in a hollow surrounded by trees so no one could see me. Just me and the dog sitting there in often freezing cold or with the rain pouring watching a kingfisher dive from a branch into the clear water before us.

As we sat there I'd visualise walking into the water to be one with nature, wondering if anyone would ever find me. To be in a place surrounded by water like a blanket providing comfort, holding me secure.

I didn't want to leave my oasis but nor did I want to leave my faithful friend, my dog who was always there for me. All I really wanted was the pain of life to melt, to leave me alone so that I could live once more.

Watching the kingfisher feeding, eating and preening himself made me feel I was not the only one in my oasis feeling alone. There were 3 of us all sharing lifes pond of tears together.

It became a place of comfort to me. I could never escape in the home even if I locked myself in the bathroom. Even self harming only gave me limited relief. The emotional bombardment was constant and endless. My nerves were frayed to shreds but also at the time I felt I was alone, not even thinking about others suffering who were often in far worse situations suffering far worse hurt and stress than mine.

It's strange how when we feel Too much pressure we give in to it because we can no longer fight it but by giving in, we become carefree because we couldn't care less what happens to us but in doing so the anxiety melts away. It's the wrong approach I know because it's defeatist but there is an element of truth in learning how to become carefree abut lifes worries and pressures.

We all need a place of relaxation and comfort when our minds are filled with fear. My oasis was mine. At least there I could escape for a few hours and give my emotional pain a rest.:hugs:

PUGLETMUM
10-04-08, 18:22
:yesyes: hi bill , sounds good! do you still have this oasis now? i dont think wha tyou are descibing is defeatist at all:shrug: its great that you were able to forget your troubles and feel better - thats good surely ,as is getting a sense of perspective on our suffering, sometimes htis is the only way i can pull myself out of the hole im in, when i think about everybody else in the world who is suffering i then feel better - this isnt to say i dont feel our suffering is genuine because i know it is, but i also know that it is a condition that can be changed with awareness - where as other suffering like physical illness or abuse or being the victim of crime can tbe changed by changing your thoughts? i would never have felt like this years ago though bill this has only come with me getting older?

like you i find nature really calming, and we very often (weekly) go to a park to walk our dogs and i love going to anglesey where it is very much about nature. it always calms me to be outside. i think alot of people will relate to your oasis bill:yesyes: take care, emma:flowers:

misterbean
10-04-08, 19:18
Hello Bill
I've been there! True, my oasis was some rocks looking onto the sea and a lighthouse, but otherwise it was a remarkably similar place (meaning the place inside me was remarkably similar). You have nudged a memory of moments of surprising tranquility when all else is misery. I used to call them my wildebeest moments because I saw a film once of a widebeest kicking and battling until covered in hyenas when suddenly it stopped, relaxed and a look of peace (as I saw it) came over it and it gradually sank to the ground. Defeatist? Well, maybe I could answer if I knew who was surrendering to who. I still can't work that one out.
Martin

sheba2
11-04-08, 19:28
Hi Bill.

That sounds like a great place. I think the natural world brings a certain type of peace. Where I live in the fenlands of lincolnshire I find the flatnes of the fields so tranquil it reminds me of looking at the sea on a calm day. One of my relaxation tapes trains you to go to a stream/lake and then the sea. With practise I can take myself there in my head and it is truly wonderful. I imagine myself sinking into the long grass and being supported by the earth. I can almost smell it just typing this and my breathing has changed already.

marie1974
11-04-08, 19:43
hi bill wow you write beautifully, i wish i could find that peace im still looking, keep strong:hugs: donna

Bill
12-04-08, 00:55
I'm feeling that I'd love to go back there more often but the poor dog can't walk that far anymore. In a strange way I found comfort in solitude at my oasis because they and my dog have been my closest loyal friends for so long.

There is such beauty there where the world can be forgotten and where you feel at one with nature.

Whether it is a pond, a park, a woodland or by the sea, a place can be found where crowds no longer exist, where peoples angry voices fall silent, where silence is serene, where your thoughts are just your own, where the trees with their branches full of gentle leaves provide comfort, where the air blows pure and refreshing, where the water washes away all hurt and fear and where we can be what we are just to ourselves without always fighting for friendship from others.

dawny
12-04-08, 14:36
bill

what a beautifully written thread....

dawn