PDA

View Full Version : Feeling so guilty about putting my little dog through so much !

honeybee3939
12-04-08, 11:40
Hi

I have a little Miniture poodle cross bicheon Friche she is only one year old and shes my pride and joy, i love her to bits. As a treat(or so i thought) every 5 weeks or so i book her into the pooch parlour in our local town to have her fur trimmed as she dosnt malt and needs her fur cutting often. A couple of people had recommeded this place to me and she as been twice before, i have just dropped her off and when i have collected her she as been all ready for me to take home looking all lovely and smelling so sweet.

Well this morning i took her again and as i had finished my chores early i went to pick her up but i was 15 minutes early and she wasnt ready. I could hear my poor dog crying when i went in and was so shocked at the way the lady was handling her brushing her with a metal brush so heavily handed you could see Molly was so distressed and in pain. The lady groomer was shouting at her to keep still, i just burst into tears and brought her home with a few choice words!

Anyway to cut a long story short i have brought her home and im so upset and cant stop crying thinking she as been there twice before and she must have gone through such a traumatic experiance without me knowing.

Im feeling so guilty with myself, i will never take her to another pooch parlour again.

Shes such a cute little dog that when i take her out all the children and adults want to come and stroke her and say hello but i noticed recently how she backs away from strangers and now i know why !!

Ive just been looking through the argos book and seen some dog clippers as i would now prefer to do it myself, as anyone trimmed their dog before if so have you any advice?

thanks for listening to me go on.

Love from a very upset Andrea and Molly

:hugs: :hugs:
xxxxxxx

belle
12-04-08, 11:45
Oh my goodness. That is horrible.
I think the best thing to do is call a vets and get them to recommend a good groomer. Thats what i did and mine is booked in for her first trim on Wednesday. I am so sorry that your poor dog had to be put through that, the women should be flipping reported.

x

Piglet
12-04-08, 11:53
Aww Andy mate - now don't you be taking guilt here, there is only one party to blame for this and that ain't you, you love your dog to bits.

I must say she really does have the most darling face doesn't she - give her a bit of a squueze from me.

If you want her fur doing again is there people who do this mobile that could come to the house so you can be with her.

Love Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
12-04-08, 11:56
Thanks alot for your reply Bluebell:hugs: .

Asking the vets recommendation is a excellent idea i will give them a call, i dont really fancy trimming her myself, but i know next time she needs to go it would be so hard for me to take her.

Piglet my hubby just suggested that too i will check that out also.

Thankyou:hugs:
Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

happyone
12-04-08, 11:57
Andrea hunny,

you have no reason to feel guilty about this! I had a very similar experience with my dog years ago. I then took her to another parlour that had a big wide open shop window and everyone passing by could see how the dogs were being treated. I often turned up early to this one after my first experience and I can honestly say it was chalk and cheese.
Try not to lose faith hun, but by all means try the clippers.
Happyone
xx

mirry
12-04-08, 19:31
Hi Andrea , thats horrible :ohmy: , I remember when i was a teenager and my mother used to take our dog to the parlor and if we just happened to walk past the shop my dog would panic and pull on her lead to get away.

Now I have a little border terrier dog called lilly and I cut her coat myself every 3 months, but I just use clippers that are for humans ,lol.
Lilly makes me laugh cos we go into the garage and open the door into the garden , lilly loves me cutting her hair and then will lay on her back to let me do her tummy area :roflmao: . I find it quite relaxing too cos I talk to her and tell her what a lovely girl she is.
Also it saves alot of money each year too, so has many benefits.

That lady needs reporting treating dogs like that:lac: .

mirry
12-04-08, 19:36
forgot to say Andrea , I put the clippers on a grade 2 but think that would be maybe a bit short for your dog , so maybe a 3 ?
I start at the head area, then go down the back and sides , then the legs and tail and then the tummy. It takes about 20 mins approx.
when i first started off doing it , I would put the clippers on to let her get used to the noise first , then bring it closer to her .
A bit like exposure therapy :yesyes: .

honeybee3939
12-04-08, 22:25
Thanks Mirry and Happyone for your kind replies:hugs:

Mirry, your little dog Lilly sounds so sweet, im also pleased you have advised about the clipping, you make it sound quite easy:yesyes: , im really tempted to give it ago next time. I actually cut my husbands hair with clippers and that dosnt bother me so it shouldnt be much harder doing it on Molly i hope.

Been to pets at home this afternoon to treat Molly, got her a new lead, doggy brush, squeaky toy and chocolate buttons so shes happy again:) .

Thankyou everyone
Andrea
xxxxx

alexis
12-04-08, 22:26
Hi Andrea, so sorry to hear this, try not to feel guilty, I feel guilty when mine is in kennels, he comes home jumping for joy then sulks under table for three days, but obviously yours is a lot worse, i would report her, your doggy still loves you!
And rest assured there are people who clip them whilst you wait, its just a case of finding one.

yorkylover
12-04-08, 23:26
Andrea Im so sorry,please dont feel bad its not your fault.I went through a similar thing.My dad took our newfy Buddy to a grooming parlour,on his second visit he did not want ot go in the door,but dad pushed him.This is a dog that loves everyone,and loves to go into the vets!!!!!Anyway on his third trip we brought him home and a couple of days later we could smell this awful smell coming from him,I looked all over him and then I found it:mad: Under his chest hair was a mass of wet sores, all weeping and stinking.I was heart broken.It cost us £150 in vet bills and what caused it was they caged dried him poor thing, and more or less had it to hot.We were gutted.
My dad phoned and complained and we wrote to them,we had no apology nothing.

I do him myself now and my yorky,and my partners mothers dog.
her dog is a poodle cross chihuahua.

I use the clippers on him.What I do is clip him all over on grade four,then if you want it any shorter go to the next grade.I then trim the legs with dog grooming scissors,and the face and ears.Just remember if you muck it up it grows back really quickly.:)
Or as others have suggested here let your vet reccomend someone,or have one come to your home.

Dont blame your self,you were not to know,same as me.She is a lovely dog.
:bighug1:

honeybee3939
12-04-08, 23:46
Hi Ellen

Thanks alot for your reply and advice, sorry to hear about your bad experiance too:hugs: .
Im actually feeling a little better about it this evening, im just so pleased i went a little earlier to pick her up, if i had gone at the time she told me to pick her up i probably wouldnt have known any different and would have taken her back next time, so im thankfull for that.

What kind of clippers do you use Ellen are they proper dog ones or human ones, i have seen some dog ones in the argos for £40 do you think they should be ok?

Thankyou
Andrea
xxxxxx

honeybee3939
12-04-08, 23:54
Alexis

Thanks for your good advice too hun:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: , ohh i cant ever imagine putting her in the kennels, lol im too soft and spoil her rotten, would put hubby in first !!!:wacko: :wacko: :winks:

Love
Andrea
xxxxxxx

happyfeet
13-04-08, 00:06
Hi Andrea,

l have a little yorkshire terrier and she needs cutting , we have a lady that brings everything to our house, buds gets a bath , haircut an nails done here at home and l sit and watch , l think it makes her feel more comfy and less stressed if she can see me.

have a look in your local paper in the pet section , thtas where we found the lady that comes here and shes lovely, and it costs us £15.00.

hope this helps

jess x

honeybee3939
13-04-08, 11:32
Hi Jess

Thanks for that, im real pleased you have all replied and given me so many different options to look into.:hugs:

Thankyou all
Andrea
xxxxx

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 11:40
:ohmy: hi all, i took one of my cavaliers to be cut a few times because she had soooooo much hair, and we were going to a cottage for hols and i was concerned about the mess that her hair being wet/dirty/sandy would cause!:wacko: anyway the last time i took her she shook for days and days afterwards - we took her to the vets and they said maybe shed caught kennel cough? and gave her antibiotics, but still she shook even after the antibiotics were finished:shrug: so i think she was traumatised and i vowed not to take her back - but she still needs cutting coz she also gets big mats of hair which we then have to cut out:lac: so i also looked in the yeallow pages and got someone to come round, and it was great, she was a really nice girl and she had a proper table and a thing to attach her to, so it worked out great and no shivering!:yesyes:

honeybee3939
13-04-08, 11:46
Thankyou too Emma:hugs:

I was looking at going on a cottage holiday too this year and taking the dog with us been on a website enquring they look fab:yesyes: . Im fancing somewhere in the lakes or dales somewhere peaceful and quiet away from all the everyday stresses of life ! Now thats my kind of holiday !

Thanks again Emma

Andrea
xxxx

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 11:53
:yesyes: hi andrea, taking your dog will be brill, its so nice to have them with you:yesyes: although this easter we went for 3 nights with out ours and it was a nice break:blush: but the hol i was talking about was in anglesey and it was gorgeous, it looked out onto water and the couple who owned it lived next door and were really friendly, and we had 3 dogs with us, coz we went with the in-laws:wacko: so i hope you find soemthing lovely, i would also like to expand to the lakes but i seem to have got stuck being comfy going to anglesey now - but you never know i may find the courage to tackle the m6 someday - well have to go very early -like in the middle of the night:blush:

but we have the peak district near us and we are planning to go camping for a night or two this summer and this will be a chance to see how that works with 2 dogs:shrug: hope you have a lovely time with your gorgeous little dog:yesyes:

kazzie
13-04-08, 13:51
Awwwwww Andy:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I know how you feel, my poodle recently came back from being clipped with his leg bandaged cos they had cut him:lac:

You can get mobile groomers that come to your home:yesyes:

Hope you both feel better soon:hugs:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

honeybee3939
13-04-08, 15:41
Thanks Kazzie:hugs: :hugs:

Im feeling alot better today about it all, and not feeling as guilty. Molly is back to her normal mischievous self, getting things out of the bin:mad: and been on the window ledge pinching my flowers :mad: !! So no lasting effects on her !

Emma the peak district is a lovely place too and its not too far from where we live so thats another option for us:) .

I have only been to Angelsey once before when we went on a holiday in Wales, we had a ride over in the car but when we arrived it was like pea soup with the fog...lol so didnt really see anything, would like to go back again sometime in the near future.

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 16:05
:ohmy: d'you know we nearly always have good weather in anglesey, so you must give it another go - beumaris is nice and very dog friendly:yesyes: best to go in the summer when the weather should be good coz it can be very nippy there, even when the sun shines. im in cheshire, where are you? the lakes, the peak district and anglesey, and ive been to shropshire which is gorgeous too ,are all close, so even if i never get to go abroard, at least we got nice places close by:yesyes: its what you make of it that counts, and even if you cant have a 'proper'holiday, at least you ge to appreciate whats on your doorstep:yesyes: my husband knew a guy at his old job who used to take his caravan to ellsemere port for a holiday and he only lived about 30 miles away:D my husband doesnt care if we never get abroard, but he does sort of demand his breaks on anglesey:winks: and when youve been agoro or lived with someone who is, going anywhere is a bonus:yesyes:

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 16:11
:ohmy: :wacko: oh yes forgot to say my dog has been a little monkey too today. my daughter left £18 in a bank bag on a chair and the devil half ate a tenner:mad: so my daughter replaced the tenner and came to tell me and her dad about the first tenner (i was in the shower and mark was pottering about), but she left the money in the exact same place, so the dog almost got the second tenner and did get the fiver:wacko: so now my daughter is down £15!!! her granparents gave her her pocket money so she is quite loaded at the moment and is paying herself for some fencing lessons at school, hence the bag of money in the first place! - i dont know whether to feel sorry for her or irritated because she knows the dogs eat everything and anything!!!! sounds like we're not the only ones andrea?!:winks:

yorkylover
13-04-08, 18:32
Hi Andrea,yes I use dog clippers also got mine from argos.:yesyes:

You cant go wrong really with clippers.I used to have a groomer come to the house,its a good idea.:yesyes:

honeybee3939
13-04-08, 18:40
Thanks alot Ellen argos it is then:yesyes: :yesyes:

Emma LOL about you dog too, they do make you laugh dont they:) .

Im in West Yorkshire Emma so in the middle really of the peak district and the Dales and Lakes.

Me and hubby are like your family too, we are not bothered about going abroad, although it would be nice to go one day for a change. There are some lovely places in this country to explore and like you say when you have suffered with Agorophobia its nice just to even get out into your hometown on a nice day:) , makes you appreciate things dosnt it? things that alot of people would take for granted.

Athough i must add my hubbys idea of a good holiday would be to spend a week sat at the side of the river fishing !:lac: But im not having any of that.lol

Take care and many thanks
Andrea
xxxxxx

PUGLETMUM
13-04-08, 19:20
:D lol no andrea i dont blame you, thats taking things a bit too far!:lac:

mirry
14-04-08, 07:53
hey , thought id tell you what my dog ate ,
my daughter got a new ds game for her birthday in february that cost me £39.99 , and left it on the floor. The dog chewed it up and she was really upset , but has not left anything on the floor again :yesyes: .

PUGLETMUM
14-04-08, 09:21
:ohmy: what a pain in the bum mirry! good that your daughter has learnt though:yesyes: we have a problem here with lip balms and the like - my daughter went through about 2 years with constant sore lips and the doc said she was to use lip balms all the time - obvious to us but hey this child just didnt wan tto use the stuff until shed seen the doc!she no longer has a bad problem but she still uses them daily -so now we regularaly find the empty pot/tube in the dogs bed's or they are still licking them:ohmy: but they love it and they smell really nice for a while afterwards!:winks:

honeybee3939
14-04-08, 09:55
LOL Mirry and Emma,

Our Molly cost me £50 the other week as she chewed through my laptop cable, thankgod it wasnt plugged in, or her hair would have been stood on end.

She was in the bad books yesterday afternoon too after taking her for a walk, i got her one of those harness leads it was the first time she had worn it, but she wont be wearing it again, a nice man came to stroke her and she backed away and the harness slipped off:weep: , she wouldnt come back, a nice lady had to go in her house and get some meat out of the fridge to bribe her ! i was flying around with my hands in the air shouting at her to come back, but she wasnt having any of it !!

So i think im going to have to enrol in some doggy training lessons !!:wacko:

Love
Andrea
xxxxxx

tayside lassie
14-04-08, 10:03
honeybee..dont beat yourself up so much ..you were being a loving caring dog owner that's all ..youve done nothing wrong .....i also feel guilty about my Cleo ..the vet and i decided to put her through a major repair op for a ripped ligament back leg which i might add has been unsuccessful the pain she was in the night of the op was unreal ..would not like to see or go through that again very upsetting ..it was in the early hours of the morning when i thought "what have i done to you lassie" felt riddled with guilt ..felt sick anxious then panic.. but i made that decision because i love her ....so dont fret lassie you can read in your post that you love your pet very very much ....

take care.....sally

PUGLETMUM
14-04-08, 10:16
:D :hugs: lol andrea, these little pooches of ours - and some of your not so little pooches, really do test us at times dont they? pretty much like kids do? but where would we be without them? they bring love and companionship so a little bit of doggy naughtiness is all part of the fun, i find:winks: :hugs:lucky tho like you say your computer wasnt on:ohmy:

honeybee3939
14-04-08, 13:13
Emma:hugs:

Sally sounds like you are a very caring too hun:hugs: thankyou

Love
Andrea
xxxx